What OS to use on VPS for personal use

Hi All,

I know this may be a silly question but What OS should I use on VPS for personal use, I will not be selling hosting.

I need something simple and fast, ive never used any linux OS beofore and I dont code.

I will be using a controle panel just dont know which one yet.

You need to first decide on the control panel for compatibility, but CentOS is a great option (and one of the most popular) - most of the Linux CP's will work with CentOS too. Is it just family/friends/personal sites?

I also think it's the easiest to understand, however I swear by CentOS so I would say that.

CentOS or RedHat or CloudLinux - All OS support WHM/cPanel Hosting panel

Centos is favorite OS if you want a linux Server, you can ,install cPanel or DirectAdmin as a panel on your server

whats the easiest to use ?

Im surprised cpanel only support Centos

Quote Originally Posted by king-x View Post
    whats the easiest to use ?

Im surprised cpanel only support Centos
    There is Enkompass also though for Windows, which comes from the same place as cPanel.

http://enkompass.cpanel.net/

If its for personal use you can use Debian or CentOS with Webmin for the control panel.

I was thinking ofa cheap panel like interworx, It looks like most only work with centos

I do not know whether you are interested in something like this, ServInt offers managed solutions VPS SSD + cPanel free. ServInt is one of the most prestigious companies. VPS Start $ 49.00 Monthly, have included bakcup + cPanel + server full managed.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckLayer View Post
    I do not know whether you are interested in something like this, ServInt offers managed solutions VPS SSD + cPanel free. ServInt is one of the most prestigious companies. VPS Start $ 49.00 Monthly, have included bakcup + cPanel + server full managed.
    Thanks for the mention, CheckLayer.

I just wanted to clarify that our traditional VPS products had control panel licensing priced into the base rate; however, you can include a cPanel/WHM license with any SolidFire SSD VPS product for an additional $10.00 per month.

- Ryan V. (@ ServInt)

Quote Originally Posted by CheckLayer View Post
    Thanks ill check them out

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    There is Enkompass also though for Windows, which comes from the same place as cPanel.

http://enkompass.cpanel.net/
    thanks but thats for windows.

I would go with Debian or CentOS (the former would be my first choice).

For a quick no-cost, free-software control panel I recently played around with Ajenti and it looked promising for exactly what you'd need -- a single server panel to control domains and common functions.

For something more in-depth (but still being no-cost and free software), DTC is worth looking at but may be a bit of overkill considering it handles multiple servers, hosting packages and has many other features you may not need.
    A GNU/Linux newbie since 1992!

Yourself: CentOS or Ubuntu.

best option: CentOS
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

my choice centos. you can run many free panels in this os like kloxo, zpanel. also you can run the most popular panel cPanel in centos too.