Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No backups = your fault for Data Loss.

From what you posted, the host has been up-front and never tried to hide from what they did.

A 2nd HDD is not a backup, it is simply "offline raid 1", or a backup staging drive, your data is not backed up until it is on another Server in another DC in another part of the country (or world).

If you don't value your data enough to have it backed up, then this sort of situation will happen. Would you complain if say the MB in the server managed to fry/corrupt both HDD's?
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    No backups = your fault for Data Loss.

From what you posted, the host has been up-front and never tried to hide from what they did.

A 2nd HDD is not a backup, it is simply "offline raid 1", or a backup staging drive, your data is not backed up until it is on another Server in another DC in another part of the country (or world).

If you don't value your data enough to have it backed up, then this sort of situation will happen. Would you complain if say the MB in the server managed to fry/corrupt both HDD's?
    You are absolutely right. IF the harddisk failure, I have no one to blame with. Unfortunely, it is not. Its simply a human error.

Like I said earlier, If i started this thread for backup solution. I am happy to listen or to learn but im not even talking about backup here. I am talking about their mistakes and want to know how could it happen. once and twice.

Don't they have any policy to follow when they are shifting the server to another client? a company like this, they do not have a audit team?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neverknowhk View Post
    You are absolutely right. IF the harddisk failure, I have no one to blame with. Unfortunely, it is not. Its simply a human error.

Like I said earlier, If i started this thread for backup solution. I am happy to listen or to learn but im not even talking about backup here. I am talking about their mistakes and want to know how could it happen. once and twice.

Don't they have any policy to follow when they are shifting the server to another client? a company like this, they do not have a audit team?

Thanks
    It's good this will raise their precautionary measures for the future

Quote Originally Posted by jasdavids22 View Post
    As I stated, contact a lawyer and sue them. I would love to see them go under.
    I'm pretty sure they clearly state in their TOS that they aren't responsive for any data loss. Although they made a mistake, they can still refer to that part of their terms to prevent any legal actions.
    VPSFlame - OpenVZ & KVM VPS, Web Hosting, Minecraft, Domain Registration
    Denmark | Germany | Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by neverknowhk View Post
    They're not so different. If you wait long enough, hardware failure is inevitable. I'd say the same is true of human error ("to err is human"). In this case you get someone else to blame, if that makes you feel any better, and maybe some sort of compensation, but it doesn't change the outcome.

And moving forward you can reasonably ask 100TB what precautions they're going to take to prevent this in future but the reality is that something similar could happen again tomorrow, at any provider. Data loss can happen any time for so many reasons.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    They're not so different. If you wait long enough, hardware failure is inevitable. I'd say the same is true of human error ("to err is human"). In this case you get someone else to blame, if that makes you feel any better, and maybe some sort of compensation, but it doesn't change the outcome.

And moving forward you can reasonably ask 100TB what precautions they're going to take to prevent this in future but the reality is that something similar could happen again tomorrow, at any provider. Data loss can happen any time for so many reasons.
    I agree with you.

I'm going to say "Good on 100TB" for fixing a problem they're not exactly required to fix. Their ToS, as with nearly any Dedicated provider, states they're not responsible for data loss on the machine, and that the client is responsible for backups.

As others have said - Keep backups. And certainly not just "on your home PC" as you said. I have multiple backup solutions "just" for game server. Why? Because I value my clients' data and I'd feel godawful if I were to lose it.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    I'm going to say "Good on 100TB" for fixing a problem they're not exactly required to fix.
    What do you mean they're 'not required to fix it'? Of course they are. It's their fault data was lost, and they can't fix it, they can simply offer compensation.

I sure wouldn't want to host with you if all you'd do is hide behind your TOS in such an event.

Every time threads like these come up, there are people who go "oh welp, it's the customer's fault that the provider wiped the server, because they didn't have a backup". Which is a ridiculous opinion to have. A case where a provider wipes a server due to no fault of the client can *easily* qualify as gross negligence, where you are stuck with liability regardless of what you put in your TOS. Of course the customer should maintain his own backup. But that does not mean that a provider is off the hook for displaying gross negligence and actively destroying a customer's property!

This is not the first time 100TB has done this either, and I would strongly suggest that they improve their routines for recycling servers before someone else ends up owning their company.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavicp View Post
    What do you mean they're 'not required to fix it'? Of course they are. It's their fault data was lost, and they can't fix it, they can simply offer compensation.

I sure wouldn't want to host with you if all you'd do is hide behind your TOS in such an event.
    My main point in saying that was that a lot of providers wouldn't get the data back for the customer. There are a lot of shady ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by OSTKCabal View Post
    My main point in saying that was that a lot of providers wouldn't get the data back for the customer. There are a lot of shady ones out there.
    But that's the thing...You can't get data back for the customer..The server was re-imaged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12