Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow that is a lot of snow. We had that last year, this year we don't have any snow.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

I'd love to live in such place where it snows like that, but I'm pretty sure it gets annoying at some point no matter how much you like snow.

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    what are you neighbors doing to get through this?
    The ones to our right [facing the house] have a wood burning stove and gas appliances so they still had heat, hot water, etc.

The ones to the left [facing the house] have a gas fireplace and that's it - they stayed for a day and then left to go somewhere warmer.

Within 30 minutes of the power going out almost every house on the street had a car running in the driveway and within an hour they had all left.

is anyone living in their RV or camper?
    No RVs or Campers in this neighborhood.

has anyone bugged out?
    Almost everybody but me and one of my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniush-T View Post
    I see only one positive news here about that - it is temporary. I hope really soon everything will return to the normal life.
    Power just came back on about 2 hours ago. Still have the generator ready to go and fuel to run 24+ hours just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHost View Post
    Wow that is a lot of snow. We had that last year, this year we don't have any snow.
    I've seen 4 terrible snow storms since I've lived in Indiana over the last 20 years or so. This one isn't the worst I've ever seen but it is the first where I was without power for more than a brief period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lautaro View Post
    I'd love to live in such place where it snows like that, but I'm pretty sure it gets annoying at some point no matter how much you like snow.
    I don't mind it - I actually enjoy driving in it - it's how everybody else acts that gets to me.

Case in point - I was driving home tonight on a 2 lane road [one each way] with no passing. The road was CLEAR [i.e. no snow, no ice] and yet a car decided that 10mph on the 50mph stretch of road was the appropriate speed for the conditions.

I was around 18th in line behind them...
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

We've been really lucky, (England - I won't say UK because Scotland and Ireland have had the worst of it for the UK!) so far anyway. I can't even imagine some of the temperatures you guys are getting across the water though - anything below +10 and I pretty much hibernate!

Sounds like a lot of cancellations etc, so I certainly hope the disruption soon passes for you all!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB
    I don't mind it - I actually enjoy driving in it - it's how everybody else acts that gets to me.
    Same here, we had it bad last year and 100% of the bumps I heard about were people getting hit in the rear end!
    Usually I'm a bit of a crazy driver, I didn't buy a big engine for nothing, but when it comes to icy conditions I'm your average "old lady driver". When I was a 2-wheel fan I lost control and dislocated my shoulder putting my hand out to stop myself (don't know why)... Slid some distance, with arm flat on floor and bike sideways, so it just popped straight out. Didn't make me leave the 2 wheel club (actually got a bigger bike not long after), but really did make me paranoid about even the slightest bit of snow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=304168146374598 - That's insane!
    Last edited by iexo; 01-08-2014 at 11:06 PM.

snow clearing

As you desire) If it's a sound investment in your opinion why not?)
    WE've got a lot of snow. But nobody thinks about buying some machine to clean it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    Same here, we had it bad last year and 100% of the bumps I heard about were people getting hit in the rear end!
    Usually I'm a bit of a crazy driver, I didn't buy a big engine for nothing, but when it comes to icy conditions I'm your average "old lady driver". When I was a 2-wheel fan I lost control and dislocated my shoulder putting my hand out to stop myself (don't know why)... Slid some distance, with arm flat on floor and bike sideways, so it just popped straight out. Didn't make me leave the 2 wheel club (actually got a bigger bike not long after), but really did make me paranoid about even the slightest bit of snow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=304168146374598 - That's insane!

I still have my mountain bike in storage...waiting for the day to become a 2-wheeler again. I think this summer will be that time

We had a lot of fender benders and destroyed cars. The worst...people who forgot that stop lights with power become 4 way stops. People will decide to just drive through it. The ones that have common sense and follow the rules....smashed rears.

I almost got in a crazy accident and I saw the guy trying to cut in many times. Eventually he got his way....just as the car in front of him stopped....and he invaded my stopping space. Sudden stops on ice...not fun. Only an idiot would do such a move. The other issue...the overall quality or intelligence of driving has dropped significantly. That alone...I could write for hours.

MikeDVB, any chance of an update? (if things are back to normal)
    I'd like to hear more about the neighbors and their various decisions/actions/consequences.

And a "lessons learned" list.

If it's not too much trouble. Events like this don't come around every day.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

And a "lessons learned" list.

A couple plastic tubs from walmart filled with;

- toothbrushes/paste
    - canned food, pasta, water
    - extra clothes
    - blankets, sleeping bags
    - candles, mini-propane stove that you can use indoors, lantern
    - batteries, radio

You never know when the day before is today. I'm still in caution mode since we still have 2-3 months of winter.

That's nothing, try having a hill for a driveway. Getting up is the fun part when it's a sheet of ice
    Nothing here right now.

In Poland we don't have such problems in this winter yet Today we have first more serious snow, but I bet that in the morning everything melts.

Every weather has a specific craze. Snow fall has also its own craze. I always wait for snow falling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12