Setting up domain names

I have to setup multiple wordpress site on a unmanged VPS server. I followed the tutorial from digitalocean(can't post the link yet) suggested by a member here.

Everything went fine, but I still do not understand the part of setting up A records, CNAME and MX Records. Can anyone give me a link for detailed explanation and configuration of these?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmahanti View Post
    I still do not understand the part of setting up A records, CNAME and MX Records
    These are _some_ of the items you'll need in the DNS Zone File for each domain

* who are you using for your DNS service provision ?
    * did you buy a control panel licence with your unmanaged VPS ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    These are _some_ of the items you'll need in the DNS Zone File for each domain

* who are you using for your DNS service provision ?
    * did you buy a control panel licence with your unmanaged VPS ?

I did not understand you first question. (I purchased the server from cinfu.com)
    I am doing everything manually. No control Panel.

I did not understand you first question.
    You need a DNS "service" for the domains to be able to resolve to the IP of the server - be that one you get from a DNS provider, one you use from your registrar, or one you run yourself.

I am doing everything manually. No control Panel.
    That was mistake #2 - mistake #1 was getting an unmanaged service based on your current knowledge of how-things-work

I'd suggest scrapping what you've done following some WP tutorial and research hosting control panels (paid and free) for your machine, then once you have one of those installed and found your way around it, and secured the server appropriately, then follow the processes specific to that CP
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

@astutiumRob : Thanks for the suggestion but I will go with unmanaged vps as these projects are mine and not very important, this is the time to learn.

I followed this tutorial and within couple of hours, my website was up and running. so the work is mostly done. I tried to configure the DNS using the link in tutorial. I guessed few things, put the values and it worked. But I did not understood much. So I want a detailed resource to understand it and to properly configure.

but I will go with unmanaged vps as these projects are mine and not very important, this is the time to learn.
    Learn 'offline' as the rest of tinterwebbyfacepad don't want another 3 million v14gr4 offers in their mailboxes when it gets exploited :p

For your DNS questions, can't go wrong with a copy of DNS&BIND from your favourite online bookseller

7. learn before you do anything fancy on your live site. better place to learn about dns is www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
    make sure you understand everything correctly before doing any changes on live site/server. sometimes it take some time to resolve the dns settings. but anyways as you said this isn't very important sites you are working on , so its a best thing to play around on those sites and once you are 100% then only go ahead with other sites which are kind of important one to you.

Thank you, page 4 of the link and little bit of experimentation solved my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Best-Web-Hosting View Post
    learn before you do anything fancy on your live site. better place to learn about dns is www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
    make sure you understand everything correctly before doing any changes on live site/server. sometimes it take some time to resolve the dns settings. but anyways as you said this isn't very important sites you are working on , so its a best thing to play around on those sites and once you are 100% then only go ahead with other sites which are kind of important one to you.