Backup Server Specs

We need to purchase a backup server to backup our shared/reseller customers as well as our VPS node.

What cPU would you recommend? Would you recommend a RAID 10 configuration? Ho much RAM will we need?

We'd like to use this both for R1Soft/Idera and SolusVM's backups.

What partitioning would you recommend? I used R1Soft briefly in the past, but can't remember which directory it uses.

I don't think you need lots of memory.
    But a faster disk can be plus point as you may need to write / read lots of data on daily basis.

How much space you need and what is your budget. You may check OVH $29 server. http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_9793 View Post
    I don't think you need lots of memory.
    But a faster disk can be plus point as you may need to write / read lots of data on daily basis.

How much space you need and what is your budget. You may check OVH $29 server. http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/
    No budget requirements. We're not leasing, we're colocating. Just need to know the type of server we should get.

I'll recommend going RAID 6 for backup server as RAID 10 will be bit overkill. Also, depending on number of HDD's that you're going to use, you may keep one HDD as global hot spare. Do you know amount of raw space that you're going to need? You can use any quad core CPU which should be just fine.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by Softsys Hosting View Post
    I'll recommend going RAID 6 for backup server as RAID 10 will be bit overkill. Also, depending on number of HDD's that you're going to use, you may keep one HDD as global hot spare. Do you know amount of raw space that you're going to need? You can use any quad core CPU which should be just fine.
    Why RAID 6? RAID 6 has poorer performance for writes than RAID 5, doesn't it? For a backup server, write performance seems like it'd be important.

Quote Originally Posted by LH Brandon View Post
    Why RAID 6? RAID 6 has poorer performance for writes than RAID 5, doesn't it? For a backup server, write performance seems like it'd be important.
    RAID 6 has additional protection against block failures and controller errors by the extra parity. In large storage arrays (which is typical in backup servers), it is recommended to have little bit extra protection. There is an article at http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/wh...ng-in-2019/805 which is very interesting and works through internal metrics of RAID 5 vs. RAID 6. You shouldn't be concerned if performance is slower as it is anyhow going to be a backup server (vs. being a web or db or virtualization node).
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

We built a backup server for the same exact purposes and use it for R1Soft and SolusVM backups. We went with just an i3-3220 which in most cases is even overkill with just 8GB ram. We then went with 12 x 3TB drives in Raid-6. So far it has worked out excellently. For backup purposes there is no real need to go with hardware raid.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    We built a backup server for the same exact purposes and use it for R1Soft and SolusVM backups. We went with just an i3-3220 which in most cases is even overkill with just 8GB ram. We then went with 12 x 3TB drives in Raid-6. So far it has worked out excellently. For backup purposes there is no real need to go with hardware raid.
    How would be an Atom D510 with 4 GB RAM? For now it'll have 3 servers backing up to it.

Ideally that would be perfect, we just went with the specs I mention since its what we stock and wanted to give it more power and resources than it really needed. To give you an idea we have 25+ servers backing up to it daily and the load is usually around .5-1.00
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com