How does the Bios differ on an IBM server from a normal PC?

So I picked myself up an xSeries IBM rack server(x3550-797851U) the other day to put into commission and it was well out of bios date and needed some updating so I updated the bios to the latest version. The problem I'm having is that when I boot it tells me it's running the latest version of bios, but then after a while it says "No Bios installed"...Upon bootup I have 3 options: Setup f1, diagnostics f2, and select boot device f12. I also have the option for Ctrl-A to get nto the RAID configuration utility.

This environment is very different for me compared to the standard PC bios bootup screen.

Now what is the BIOS on this machine? I am in the Configuration/Setup Utility at the moment and something tells me this ain't BIOS.

Maybe one of you server geeks can help me out

BIOS covers the lower level functions of the device boot and operation. Because higher level stuff is controlled by the OS itself and is generic across devices, there's a need to put all of the specialized control mechanisms somewhere.

So to answer the question about how they differ, consider how many additional controls from multiprocessor, RAM or storage backplanes through to cooling, environmentals, etc a server would have above and beyond a desktop machine. These are all addressed in the BIOS code, and it will therefore be somewhat more complex.

The server configuration screen you are in, if entered at boot with a function key for BIOS, will be the BIOS - even if it looks more complex than you're used to. Is it missing a particular option you are looking for?

Sorry, I just re-read the post again and realize that I didn't comprehend your question fully. You've hit Ctrl-A and gone into the Array Configuration Utility - that isn't BIOS and in fact doesn't even exist on the motherboard itself, it's a function of your RAID controller.

So the bad news is, it sounds like your BIOS upgrade went bad. Hopefully there is a failsafe you can use to re-flash with the BIOS code, and perhaps you have the wrong BIOS code. Let me research this quickly and get back to you

D'oh. 5 minutes on Google and I realize now how many times I've seen this message before. Basically, the message you are seeing has nothing to do with the system BIOS and is printed after the BIOS initialization is complete, when the server hands control to the RAID controllers.

If your RAID controller has no arrays configured, it will not install the RAID BIOS into the boot chain, and will display that message. Ctrl-A is the key combo to get into the array controller menu to create an array.

Here's some references for you:

http://serverfault.com/questions/550...-not-installed

http://serverfault.com/questions/505...-at-bios-level

How does the Bios differ on an IBM server from a normal PC?

Quote Originally Posted by ngardiner View Post
    D'oh. 5 minutes on Google and I realize now how many times I've seen this message before. Basically, the message you are seeing has nothing to do with the system BIOS and is printed after the BIOS initialization is complete, when the server hands control to the RAID controllers.

If your RAID controller has no arrays configured, it will not install the RAID BIOS into the boot chain, and will display that message. Ctrl-A is the key combo to get into the array controller menu to create an array.

Here's some references for you:

http://serverfault.com/questions/550...-not-installed

http://serverfault.com/questions/505...-at-bios-level
    You're a god my friend. I was like this has to be so simple what on gods green earth could be the problem. Your post right there will likely save others so much hassle and grief. Will give rep when i get back to PC.

Also, while I'm at it, any other utilities i should update aside from bios? This machine was decommissioned a year or so ago and hasn't been touched since, pretty sure there is cobwebs on it haha.