HostGator Migration Issues Causing Me To Look Elsewhere

Hey guys...new to the forum.

Have been using Host Gator for a few years now as my reseller but things have gotten perpetually worse. This week, they rolled out a massive server migration and all of my clients have been up and down since Monday. The problems seem to be extremely slow load speeds (to the point where I can't even develop websites), database connection errors and intermittent email outages. I'm tired of making excuses to my clients.

I expressed my dismay with it all on the HG forum and received an email of apology from the staff -- and then they disabled my account from being able to post LOL

So my question is this, I have about 30 clients on my current reseller and am looking for a new home (like a lot of people apparently). I need WHM and WHMCS included.

Also, how does the process go bringing all of my existing clients/accounts over to my new reseller account?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Louie

I've seen quite a few people in the same boat as you. I'm not sure how they managed to screw up so many server migrations in one go, must be going for a new record judging by the amount of reseller servers with migration issues:

http://forums.hostgator.com/performa...s-t298426.html

http://forums.hostgator.com/recent-r...e-t298965.html

To answer your question on potential new hosts, check out the offers section.

With regards transferring the sites, as long as the new host you pick is using cPanel/WHM (which it will be based on your requirements) then the move will be straightforward. The new provider will generate a backup of each account, copy it over to their servers and restore it, keeping all settings (Files, DB's, Mail, etc) intact. You'd just need to update your custom nameserver IP's once the account move had been completed.
    Last edited by D9_Hosting; 11-07-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Inability to spell
    Managed cPanel & DirectAdmin Dedicated Servers
    D9 Solutions Ltd - Hosting Over 20,000 Websites Since 2007
    Servers in the USA, UK & Amsterdam
    Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by BHMedia View Post
    Hey guys...new to the forum.

Have been using Host Gator for a few years now as my reseller but things have gotten perpetually worse. This week, they rolled out a massive server migration and all of my clients have been up and down since Monday. The problems seem to be extremely slow load speeds (to the point where I can't even develop websites), database connection errors and intermittent email outages. I'm tired of making excuses to my clients.

I expressed my dismay with it all on the HG forum and received an email of apology from the staff -- and then they disabled my account from being able to post LOL

So my question is this, I have about 30 clients on my current reseller and am looking for a new home (like a lot of people apparently). I need WHM and WHMCS included.

Also, how does the process go bringing all of my existing clients/accounts over to my new reseller account?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Louie
    WHM is always included free with cPanel providers, WHMCS you might find included in the packages, or you can buy it direct from them. I recommend CrocWeb, but you could state what diskspace and bandwidth you require to help other members help you. Also you might get a free billing system with the package however it might not be WHMCS.
    Last edited by Atlanical-Mike; 11-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Migrating from cPanel to cPanel is fairly easy and most providers would help with the initial migration for free. Looks like you fell victim to the recent EIG takeover of HostGator which is probably why you're having a negative experience with them right now, you're definitely not the only one.

Go check out the Reseller Offers section, I am sure you'll find something that meets your requirements over there: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Good luck with your search for a new home

Like everyone else has mentioned this should be an easy move. Most providers will handle the migration of accounts for you and after you swap license keys on your WHMcs install you should be all set.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Like everyone else has mentioned this should be an easy move. Most providers will handle the migration of accounts for you and after you swap license keys on your WHMcs install you should be all set.
    Might I add that you may need to update your WHMCS cPanel access hash inside the servers section of WHMCS.

Also there is no way to transfer packages on a reseller to reseller level (that's what several web hosts have told me although for some reason I have a hard time believing it), so you'll need to re-create the packages.

But really it's quite simple and the work involved in moving is limited, probably less than 1 hour of admin time for you.

I'm on the same boat. My account was migrated 2 weeks ago.
    Server load report in WHM is low but server is not responsive. Mysql db connection error happens occasionally.
    It looks like they use KVM vps instead of physical server.
    Do you see CENTOS 6.4 x86_64 kvm in your WHM?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Net View Post
    I'm on the same boat. My account was migrated 2 weeks ago.
    Server load report in WHM is low but server is not responsive. Mysql db connection error happens occasionally.
    It looks like they use KVM vps instead of physical server.
    Do you see CENTOS 6.4 x86_64 kvm in your WHM?
    HostGator claims that they have proprietary software on top of their bare metal box that helps them detect hardware failures before they happen. I'm not sure if I believe it entirely.

I've been a reader of this forum for a while and there is a thread that you might want to check out:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1266682

It deals with this same issue of kvm vps vs dedicated servers at HostGator

Lol, it's really odd, how many customers hostgator lost because of this migration thing. Everybody is moving away from them. I pitty them xD

Something to ask your new host is the length or strength of passwords.
    I was going to move to CrocWeb once and had that problem.

Some of my clients email and cpanel passwords are old and they are stuck in their ways so I would have to change them all and I know that I would have lost some of the older clients if I did that.

Also some of my clients use the servername.mail.tld mail instead of their domain.mail.tld so you might want to check that as well.

I am also in the market for a good host I have been with Hostgator for over 3 years and it was not bad but now it's looking like it's going down hill.

I tried Turnkey and Skynethosting and was not impressed by them.

Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by HostEve View Post
    I pitty them xD
    I don't.

EIG is in business to make money, not provide a good service. So screw them, they get what the deserve. People want quality for the money, not crap so somebody else can pocket it and get rich.

EIG victim 3 times here, as far back 2003 (Hypermart).

Most hosts are better. Find a better one (not hard to improve over EIG) and use it.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Same here, jumping the HG ship

I'm in a similar position as the OP, except that I only got the migration message 2 days ago. I don't plan on waiting to see what happens if I stay, so I just signed up with Namecheap after hearing good things about their hosting. Most of my domains were already there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I don't.

EIG is in business to make money, not provide a good service. So screw them, they get what the deserve. People want quality for the money, not crap so somebody else can pocket it and get rich.

EIG victim 3 times here, as far back 2003 (Hypermart).

Most hosts are better. Find a better one (not hard to improve over EIG) and use it.
    Exactly ,better to find good alternative of hostgator .Most EIG serve clients for dollars rather than quality and hence we should avoid EIG at any cost .

Quote Originally Posted by SPowl View Post
    I'm in a similar position as the OP, except that I only got the migration message 2 days ago. I don't plan on waiting to see what happens if I stay, so I just signed up with Namecheap after hearing good things about their hosting. Most of my domains were already there anyway.
    Many of them are in similar position .Issue is not migration message but the level of support and quality of service any webhost provide .Hope you find Namecheap better one.
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

Hi BHMedia,

Migrations are always a pain... the good news is that a host like hostgator understands the problem and upgrades the servers. From time to time reseller servers get overloaded, unfortunately. While the company had stopped adding new resellers to a server, resellers were still adding accounts

They could probably handled this better e.g. migrating few resellers to new different servers and not a massive all resellers from same server to a new same server? I don't know.

I am on Hostgator almost 10 years I think, the server initially had 2 cpus and 4gb ram as I recall, a few years later they upgraded our plans (from 5gb/50gb to 25/250 I think) and also upgraded/migrated to new more powerful servers (4-8 cps with 8gb ram).... and later they upgraded again our plans to 50GB/500GB without price increase! So, now to handle the upgraded resources we got for free they moved us to new servers... sounds good to me For years /home partition was around 200GB-300GB... the last 1-2 years the /home was like 700GB+... resellers were greedy and added new accounts haha

Yea, we had some issues, especially with MySQL going down for many many minutes during a week... hopefully, these issues should be solved now. I see stable performance on new server, no issues, sites load much faster, especially dynamic/MySQL sites.

The new servers have better specs (12cpus, 16gb ram) and I see no issues since the migration.

I still have faith in HostGator...

Moreover, you should check the option to keep current account with HostGator and get a new reseller account to add new customers - do not keep all your eggs (sites) in one basket (server - companies)! If all customers are on one server and a small issue arises, then you have all of your customers "angry". Spread the risk!

Now, if you like some alternative choices, I would recommend Cartika or JoneSolutions (ngnix with daily archived backups you can access) or EuroVPS (litespeed with your own backups).

FREE or cheap WHMCS licenses should not be an option selecting a host as it narrows the list... a license is really cheap anyway.
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

I see many negative reviews about Hostgator recently on Web. Before it was very popular and recommended by most people. I recommend Hostdime or Surpasshosting as alternative. Their support is faster and better. I have many accounts on their different servers. Uptime of them is good(but some times speed is a little slow and the prices are more expensive than most providers).
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Lost a client due to HG incompetence ... Support tickets are taking more than 4/5 hours for a response. You're holding 30/40 minutes to get to chat to support .. then the chat lasts another 30/40 minutes.

I'm done, also on the lookout for a new host.

Angry

I've never seen a company go down hill so fast. They migrated me to an absolute piece of crap server; and then shut down down half my accounts for high resource usage, and then act like it has nothing to do with the migration.

I'm in the process of transferring all the accounts over to a Namecheap VPS, but the new hostgator is so slow it takes FOREVER even to navigate around cpanel, and hours just to generate 20MB backups. Which is making it a really time consuming process.

Wish I have transferred out before the migration.