"The PC is not dead, we just don't need new ones"

For those who claim the traditional computer era is over

http://idiallo.com/blog/2013/10/pc-i...d-for-new-ones

I couldnt agree more with the author

I agree in some of his posts but the fact that we don't need a new one? I'm a Gamer and I want to play my PC games smoothly and also a developer, if I feel like upgrading into new technologies, I will do it..

Pretty much.. it isn't the 90s/early 2000 anymore when there was a race with everything.. every 6 months you were obsolete. I remember having to upgrade my 16mb edo memory to 32 so I could play "over crude water" in total annihilation haha.

Ever since 2005 or so I haven't needed to upgrade that often. My current machine is still going strong and it's coming on 3 years now I think.. and there's really nothing that slows it down... I probably won't upgrade until q4 14 or q1 15...

Only things I've changed to this machine is switching from a 580gtx to 7970, 16>32gb ram and switching ssd's (put the old one in my laptop). i7 2600k oc'd
    I specialize in neck beards
    https://thatshirt.com

I understand the author only refers to the average user who does not run applications requiring the latest hardware but only standard ones.
    I can see it with myself, I am not a gamer and up until a while ago I was using a ten year old system (single core, 2 GB RAM) which was just fine for daily work.

As mentioned above, five, ten years ago we reached a level computing power which is sufficient for most average users. Hence not the absolute need to continue the previous upgrade insanity.

.... and because mobile devices (tables, phones, ....) are generally a new(er) kind without the market saturation and their still increasing abilities with each upgrade (to reach the desktop level at some point) we simply see a higher demand there. Deducing from this a decline of the desktop is either an agenda or unfamiliarity.

Pretty much fully agree with that article. For gaming, I turned to consoles. And for PC games I enjoy, they don't need much of graphic powers. (Crusader Kings2 and Football manager series)

The last of Us and GTA 5 aren't even on PC anyway.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Yes - the author is spot on, but only really based on a typical average user.

Business users, especially in the creative industry are constantly needing to update to meet the demands of software and programs that require the latest hardware.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

I'm much the same way also with my iphone. I still have the iPhone4 and the new iPhones are no doubt faster, but the current iPhone4 still does the job just fine for me. There's no new killer must have feature on these new iPhones that is giving me the desire or need to upgrade. Maybe when Apple makes a 5" iphone with a wider screen, then that might tempt me.

I also still have my 4 yr old 17" MacBook Pro and my few years old PC gaming rig with the Nvidia GTX 580 card. Both machines still do what I want them to do, so I have no need or desire to upgrade. Kinda feels good holding onto tech as long as possible, knowing you're getting maximum value out of them.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Most casual computer users don't need a desktop. A tablet or netbook serves the function of web browsing and sending e-mail just fine. When all these devices came out, it was natural to see a decline in PC sales. The PC is definitely not going away (business sales are actually increasing), but it's not surprising to see lower sales when alternatives for a number of use cases enter the market.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

I still have my 7 year old windows xp emachines desktop that I bought at walmart. It still works fine so haven't felt the need to upgrade it with a new one yet.

Well I did get a new computer but it's a laptop which my dad bought me for my 25th Birthday.

And I'll keep this laptop for as long as it works.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

The fact is that mobile products are easier to break, lose, steal for obvious reasons.
    They are going to sell more units of them anytime.
    I still prefer my PC.

now that PC's are much easier to upgrade components ( not like the 90's ) - its not much of an issue... I remember spending 2,000$ on a gateway back in 96'... only for it to fail by 98'
    Performance Card Service, Ltd
    ***Global Payments Experts***
    www.performancecardservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zomni View Post
    I'm a Gamer and I want to play my PC games smoothly
    So am I, but realistically, gaming on the PC is nowhere near as fun and relaxing as gaming on the couch, sitting in front of the big old 55" , listening to the output from my stereo. No pc can ever compare with that, though I do run a few MMO's from time to time. There's just less distractions on the console

Quote Originally Posted by mg- View Post
    Only things I've changed to this machine is switching from a 580gtx to 7970, 16>32gb ram and switching ssd's (put the old one in my laptop). i7 2600k oc'd
    With those specs you shouldn't even bother upgrading for another 3-5 years. No, really, it's just not going to be terribly beneficial. Your CPU is better than average, your memory is great, pretty much right where you should be, even for a gaming rig

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    I still have the iPhone4
    Retire that thing already

Quote Originally Posted by PerformanceCard View Post
    now that PC's are much easier to upgrade components ( not like the 90's )
    I've been upgrading components since the 90s, I wouldn't say they're a bit harder (or easier, honestly) now than then.

I would fully agree with the article itself. My last rig (quad core , LGA775) was built in 2005. The thing was a beast in it's day, and I finally retired it last March. 7 years of awesome. This one's been running since (i7 2600, 16 gig ram, multiple SATA drives (no need for SSD), GeForce GTX 650 Ti), and I'm sure it'll keep the fires burning way past 7 years.

The point of the article is dead on as well. 7 - 10 years is pretty much dead on for a PC, if you build it yourself. IF, however, you go with something from, say, a manufacturer, you're probably not going to get but half that. It's their job to build PC's that don't last.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    I would fully agree with the article itself. My last rig (quad core , LGA775) was built in 2005. The thing was a beast in it's day, and I finally retired it last March. 7 years of awesome. This one's been running since (i7 2600, 16 gig ram, multiple SATA drives (no need for SSD), GeForce GTX 650 Ti), and I'm sure it'll keep the fires burning way past 7 years.
    Didn't the core 2 quad come out in early 07 ?

I have a 7300 in my other computer thats from then as well.. the sad part is in windows 7 browsing jquery heavy websites lags it. I can get the cpu up to 90% cpu by scrolling in chrome rapidly.

That's pretty messed up lol. I'm waiting until after broadwell is out.. I might upgrade then, if not I'll wait till after that unless this computer catches on fire, or if my processor burns out.. it runs 24/7 and heavily overclocked.. probably gets 6 hours a day running between 4.3-4.5 then falls back down to 3.2 while doing nothing much, under 3 at idle.. 3.6-3.8 under normal load
    I specialize in neck beards
    https://thatshirt.com

Quote Originally Posted by mg- View Post
    Didn't the core 2 quad come out in early 07 ?
    You're right it did, my bad just re-checked my newegg orders, and that was an upgrade processor order, placed in '07.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    Most casual computer users don't need a desktop. A tablet or netbook serves the function of web browsing and sending e-mail just fine. When all these devices came out, it was natural to see a decline in PC sales. The PC is definitely not going away (business sales are actually increasing), but it's not surprising to see lower sales when alternatives for a number of use cases enter the market.
    Agreed. The market for PCs will remain, but the plethora of handheld devices for more casual users (including smart phones) is obviously going to fracture the computer hardware market in new ways.

I agree, hopefully in the future though we will see tablets and mobile phones that we can actually upgrade. Like I can walk down to my local fry's and build a computer just the way I want it to be, I want to see the day where I can do the same for mobile devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Buycpanel-Kevin View Post
    I want to see the day where I can do the same for mobile devices.
    Not going to happen
    While, yes, it would be nice, it's just not a reality. Phones/Tablets are infinitely smaller than the PC, or even the laptop (which does have limited upgrade potential). In order for this to happen, manufacturers would have to invest more capital in an area where they're already throwing out losses anyways.