Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry PhotonVPS: Suspended over $2.20? I had a $10.00 Credit!

Signed up with PhotonVPS several months ago and have had a vps for a few design clients. I was woke up by a text message that my server was down around an hour ago.

Anyway, find out it was suspended over a $2.20 invoice. Several weeks before I had deposited a $10.00 deposit that hasn't been used. So, thinking they probably had some common sense they would realize the issue and error on their systems part and unsuspend the vps, at least so I could get my customers data off. (Thank god I have recent backups) and another running server.

So I contact support and here is their response:

"Hello,

Our senior billing admin will get back to you with further details. Please kindly note that our billing only operates 9-5PM PST monday - friday excluding federal holidays."

Mind you this is on 1:56 AM on Sunday my time.

So in other words, because of their obvious mistake, I'm supposed to wait over 24 hrs waiting for them to take care of it.

Screw em I'm done, and if you are considering getting a vps from PhotonVPS - You better not have all your eggs in one basket, i.e., have another running server, and you better have recent backups because even if its their own systems mistake - your screwed.

I attached the screenshots below to show that I did have $10s credit for a stupid $2.20 invoice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails credit.jpg   invoice.jpg  

Do you have a ticket number I can look at?
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Oh, and I want my $10.00 back!

[Ticket ID: 636837] Suspended over $2.20? I HAVE $10.00 Credit!!!

Screw the vps, I'm uploading my customers data onto my other server now.

Your VPS has been suspended due to an unpaid balance.

You can manually apply the credit to the invoice through our client area. I've manually done this for you now.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

You can manually apply the credit to the invoice through our client area. I've manually done this for you now.
    Now that is just silly. Whilst I believe in the phrase “When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.” Oscar Wilde, its simple common sense that a credit will be applied against an existing balance. Hosts need to stop blaming WHMCS (you selected it your fault), and customers (hey we use WHMCS didnt you know), for such lame operating principles.
    MattF - Since the start..

Ok thanks,

But don't you think its a good idea to have that happen automatically? When the billing takes place? Every time there is an invoice it does this automatically.

Why would it not do it now? Instead I get woken up at 1AM with a suspended server?

Through WHMCS, credit is automatically applied to the invoice if the credit is there when the invoice is generated. You can always manually apply the credit to the invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by Profuse-Jimmy View Post
    Through WHMCS, credit is automatically applied to the invoice if the credit is there when the invoice is generated. You can always manually apply the credit to the invoice.
    Same same la la la... Stop blaming WHMCS, if can do this at invoice generation time, it can do this at any point where it reconciles the account, or performs auto-suspension. However whilst hosts take the approach "its the way WHMCS do it, it must be right" situations like these reoccur (just like the ticket de-bumping if someone adds extra information). The customers didnt select WHMCS you did, the correct response would be "Our billing system due to design flaws wasnt able to reconcile your credit prior to the auto-suspension. We accept this is retarded and are working with the vendor to address this. In the meantime, our apologises, and here's a further credit - dont forget to apply it! "

The simple solution would be applying the credit to the invoice... it's not as hard as it sounds.

Um, no.

"Available Credit Balance: You have a credit balance of $7.80 USD and this will be automatically applied to any new invoices"

My clients websites are now being uploaded to my other server, I'm canceling right now. I want my $7.80 back.

Credit is automatically applied to the invoice if it's there before the invoice is generated. If you add credit at a later date you'll need to manually apply that credit to the invoice.

Unfortunately we do not offer any refunds after the initial 30 days of service has passed.

Good to know.

I'll chalk that up for experience, good riddance.

Keep in mind, any hosts using WHMCS will function this way.

Good luck with your next provider.

Good to know my other provider doesn't use it, and if they did they would fix it and not rely on the customer to know all the ins and outs of their billing software.

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Same same la la la... Stop blaming WHMCS
    I couldn't agree more. The whole story for blaming the billing system is getting a little old. I like to take a different approach and do all suspensions and terminations myself so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Then I can review the account, the customer and make a judgement call.

Of course, for larger businesses this could be very time consuming - just my 2 cents though
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

It wasn't the hosting fault. the suspension is usually is automated. I guess WHMCS didn't work correctly!
    Cloudzy
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Bitcoin VPS | Forex VPS
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, PerfectMoney, CryotoCurrency and Bitcoin
    In business for more than 14 years - Since 2008

PhotonVPS: Suspended over $2.20? I had a $10.00 Credit!

WHMCS is entirely responsible for this, it's no secret that PhotonVPS is a very credible business and would not muck you around without a reason. Perhaps reconsider your post.

@JordanF, @Hannah

The customer shouldn't be aware of the flaws (and significant ones) of the billing system. It is the hosting company's fault, if they select flawed software they must put in place procedures to workaround it just like Ethernet Servers does. WHMCS means nothing to the customer, it's not their problem or rather it shouldnt be. What's more annoying and a concerning trend is that I doubt Physco networks has even raised the issue with WHMCS, hosts seem happy to just accept "The Zen of WHMCS" as the correct way.. Sad really.
    Last edited by MattF; 10-13-2013 at 04:30 AM.

If you add a credit at a later date, how would the system know which invoice to apply it to if there are multiple invoices?

Also to clarify, Psychz is on Ubersmith only Photon/Yard is on WHMCS.

If you add a credit at a later date, how would the system know which invoice to apply it to if there are multiple invoices?

Also to clarify, Psychz is on Ubersmith only Photon/Yard is on WHMCS.
    It is a credit on the account. So whilst multiple strategies exist, a simple approach would be to apply to the next due invoice on due date (allowing manual application until such point), or in the event of late/unsettled invoices then to them (in order of due date) until the credit balance is exhausted. You could even take a primitive approach and as part of the suspension pipeline check for credit on the account that could resolve and avoid suspension, thats a hack approach but it would avoid nonetheless. These simple strategies are not rocket science. Just going to call my credit card company I got a refund the other day and I need to nominate a purchased item that I can apply it too..

Speaking as an objective observer, I think the attitude of PhotonVPS leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. The problem was caused by a glitch in his system. A simple apology to the customer would have sufficed. Instead, he is being defiant and combative about it. If he is like this in a silly situation like this, can you imagine what his level of (non) co-operation will be in a major issue. Who wants to trust people with an attitude like that?

I would urge him not to escalate the matter and to make amends. Apologize to the customer for the suspension (whether it was right or wrong), give him credit/ refund and salvage some of the lost goodwill.

Common sense will tell you that a situation like this should be handled in a mature fashion so that you don't alienate existing/ potential customers.
    Last edited by investorz; 10-13-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by investorz View Post
    I think the attitude of PhotonVPS leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. The problem was caused by a glitch in his system. A simple apology to the customer would have sufficed. Instead, he is being defiant and combative about it. If he is like this in a silly situation like this, can you imagine what his level of (non) co-operation will be in a major issue. Who wants to trust people with an attitude like that?

I would urge him to make amends. Apologize to the customer for the wrong suspension, give him credit/ refund and salvage some of the lost goodwill.
    Indeed.

PhotonVPS doesnt see it as a glitch though, as he quotes passages from his printed copy of "The Zen of WHMCS" and rallies support from all the other blind disciples of the flawed software.

By developing it to do that. I have been a programmer since 1999, its incredibly easy.

IF (available credit balance is (this amount) && invoice is < (this ammount)) {
    USE BALANCE!!!
    } else...

Friggen simple, obviously that's not even close to real code above, I've had less than an hour of sleep. But thats three lines!

By the way, since 1999 I have never had a server suspended, ever! Until today! And I have been with unbelievably crappy hosting companies over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    The customer shouldn't be aware of the flaws
    Probably not, but before you shift the entire responsibility for this onto PhotonVPS's shoulders, that same "flawed" billing software will have sent a number of reminders to the customer before getting to the suspension stage. I'm curious why, when the customer got those, he didn't shoot an email to PhotonVPS saying "Hey, I've got 10 bucks credit sitting on my account. Why are you pestering me for $2.20?".

Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast