• Delete the ticket

11 22.92%
  • Delete the ticket and block the sender

3 6.25%
  • Offer them a job / begin negotations

2 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Email: "Can I work for you?"

You get an e-mail out of the blue, from someone you've had no previous dealings with and do not know in person. "I'm looking for a job helping with live chat / I can answer tickets / I want to learn Linux / I know all about Apache and could offer you support. ... Do you have any openings?"

What do you do?
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

We get them all the time just ignore them.
    Been running a successful independent web hosting company for over 13 years

We receive 3, 4 Tickets in a month for Jobs, and we decline politely.
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Depends on whether you need more staff. If so, you may wish to reply.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

I should clarify - I'm quite clear how I respond, but I was interested to know how others feel about some speculative e-mails, and also how many you all get.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    Depends on whether you need more staff. If so, you may wish to reply.
    Reasonable course of action.

We decline politely. I wonder why no one wants to do sales, it's all support job requests.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Well if someone really know about hosting and looking for job he never use ticket system

we politely tell them we have no job at this time
    VMakerHOST » Providing Amazing Services since 2010
    Three Datacenter Locations: Chicago, Netherlands & Singapore
    █ Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | End User Support | Premium Network | 24x7-365 Support
    ShoutCAST, Web Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers. Managed options available

Quote Originally Posted by victormeldrew View Post
    We get them all the time just ignore them.
    This.

Besides, can you really trust a person who emails out of the blue?

If we were to look for staff, we would at least put an advert up on a reliable and trusted site which asks for details, CV's, etc from potential candidates.
    Regards,
    Peter
    UK Web Hosting - Professional & Reliable Managed Hosting and OpenVZ VPS Hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    I want to learn Linux / I know all about Apache and could offer you support. ... Do you have any openings?"
    What do you do?
    *knock on door*
    "I want to learn how to fix engines on cars like yours. I have no experience, but I'm willing to learn and have actually seen engines before. Do you have any openings?"

It's a quick but polite no for me.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

because i dont want made an enemy, i declined it politely and explain him/her that we only employee on site staff

Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting View Post
    This.

Besides, can you really trust a person who emails out of the blue?
    Internet version of cold calling. Career centers teach this as one of the number one ways to look for a job when you're out of work. It works, but the conversion rate is low. It's a numbers game.
    █ █ █

Re: Email: "Can I work for you?"

By looking at the email, the person is not experienced towards web hosting support engineer.

I have received several emails but few of them sends these kind of cold emails with their CV, previous working history, etc.

Those kind of cold emails are considerable. May be we can have a second look at the profile at least once and decide to contact him or ignore the email politely.

Just a general suggestions on what I feel looking at the OP.

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 10-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Ask for a CV to the correct email address and see what it's like...

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    We decline politely. I wonder why no one wants to do sales, it's all support job requests.
    Because 90% of sales jobs are commission based and have no set salary. Who wants a job that has no guaranteed pay?

There's nothing wrong with unrequested job applications but the applicant has to make a valid point about his skills and we would want to see the same details we would ask if actively seeking staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeambrose3 View Post
    Because 90% of sales jobs are commission based and have no set salary. Who wants a job that has no guaranteed pay?
    Exactly, But there's a reason why sales based jobs are exactly what it says for driving new sales or up-selling existing client base when you have sales people on set wage it gives them no motivation to push and see the sale through to the end, Wheres if there commission based there more likely to work a little harder and get the sale through the door but generally for sales positions I like the "basic" set wage with commission on top along with annual bonus such as $100/Monthly basic with 10% commission on monthly sales with maybe 1% annual bonus so for instance if you sold $10,000 worth in 12 months your annual bonus would be $100 not a lot I know but it's a nice sum for a few beers during new year...

I think the first question is: What is your need? Then what are your hiring criteria for that need?

My company does have entry level positions. However they require a good deal of interviewing and we really look for gems. Otherwise they don't fit our minimum 6 years of direct experience requirement for all other jobs.

What I'm trying to say is if the contact meets a need and our requirements we consider all applicants. I try not to model jobs after people unless they are already working for us and we want to create a job that fits them as they are such an asset.

So our standard reply is to quote the truth. We don't have any position that fits your skills. Or, We will consider your application if submitted, please feel free to submit a resume for the following job...

Have a process and make following that process is the first interview step. Many casual contacts drop off when we say we do have a position and point them to a webpage of requirements. Put the ball in their court.
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 10-05-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typos

Decline politely because I am sure most of these people have good intentions and bares no ill will.

OK so Now I see the poll. Can you add "Politely direct them to a hiring Page/Portal"

We often receive then although we don't recuirt unless we oublicly advertise we do ask for a CV for any future positions and inform the submitter that we will get in contact with them if a position comes up that they may be suitable for.
    Jiffy Domains - Affordable & Reliable UK Shared Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting UK
    Features: cPanel | Softaculous | CloudFlare | R1Soft Backups | RVSiteBuilder Pro| 24/7 Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | PayPal & Direct Debit Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by JiffyDomains View Post
    We often receive then although we don't recuirt unless we oublicly advertise we do ask for a CV for any future positions and inform the submitter that we will get in contact with them if a position comes up that they may be suitable for.
    Yes. I agree your point.

It really depends on the email. I haven't received a lot of applications for jobs at my hosting business, but I've received several for the two other businesses.

If they send an email with a proper well written application with a CV I'll have a look at it. But these tend to be applications that show the person has spent some time researching our company. I'll try to reward anybody that put some effort into their work.

Way too often I'll receive emails sent by email services (mostly used for marketing emails by companies trying to sell something we don't need). These emails tend to be poorly written and as they are delivered by a "spam" service I'll normally just delete the email.

If people don't care enough to write a proper application I don't want them to work for me. I don't hire anybody who are willing to do it the easy way. I want people who are willing to work.

If I received an email like the one in the OP I would just politely decline it.

Quote Originally Posted by gPowerHost View Post
    OK so Now I see the poll. Can you add "Politely direct them to a hiring Page/Portal"
    I'd count that as "begin negotiations". I can't figure out how to add options to the poll, so that will certainly do for now!

"I want to learn" + "I want a job" = immediate delete and ignore

- If you want to learn, great! I respond.
    - If you are looking for work, and have formal education with skills, great! Even if I'm not looking for anyone, I've got many contacts, and will try my best to help.

But both = does not compute = I don't have time for that BS. I'm too old for this $hit. Go away moron. After 20 years online, I just don't care anymore.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast