Thread: ZPanel?

ZPanel?

Has anyone ever used ZPanel, if so is it any good? I am looking for a simple web control panel that will allow me to do basic operations such as manage web accounts, create ftp accounts and mysql databases etc, and preferably be able to take care of updates. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Junk. If you care about the security of your server you won't use this.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Junk. If you care about the security of your server you won't use this.
    I appreciate your brutal honesty, after having done a little research into the security of the product and in particular something I saw on reddit I see what you mean. Will swerve that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Broughton View Post
    I appreciate your brutal honesty, after having done a little research into the security of the product and in particular something I saw on reddit I see what you mean. Will swerve that one.
    I wouldn't have security concerns, since it's an active development community, but zpanel is limited in what it does. I would look for a more mature product for a commercial hosting environment.

Re: ZPanel?

I have use it and still using it in a couple of VPS so far i have no complaints with latest version.
    Last edited by jomausiu; 09-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    I wouldn't have security concerns, since it's an active development community, but zpanel is limited in what it does. I would look for a more mature product for a commercial hosting environment.
    It's an active development community but they are not actively looking for the exploits that do exist so, yes you are foolish to not have security concerns.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Re: ZPanel?

What?! I bet you'd recommend zamfoo too!

I tried it recently. The responsive design is cool. I don't know much about security, but it is suffice to be a basic control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    What?! I bet you'd recommend zamfoo too!
    Zamwho?
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It's an active development community but they are not actively looking for the exploits that do exist so, yes you are foolish to not have security concerns.
    Didn't they recently fire someone over at zPanel over the last incident they had?

If you need free stable and secure linux real control panel check ispconfig.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

I would prefer to spend some money for stable and user friendly control panel like cPanel. It is worth to spend some money for cPanel. It is very much user friendly for end users as well as server admins. It provides nice interface and many useful features which makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BestServerSupport View Post
    I would prefer to spend some money for stable and user friendly control panel like cPanel. It is worth to spend some money for cPanel. It is very much user friendly for end users as well as server admins. It provides nice interface and many useful features which makes life easier.
    That's the problem though isn't it? cPanel only works on CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. They don't support any other linux distro, which they should as CentOS is not the greatest or best distro out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    That's the problem though isn't it? cPanel only works on CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. They don't support any other linux distro, which they should as CentOS is not the greatest or best distro out there.
    While I suppose that's a matter of preference and what you're used to, how to you find CentOS lacking?

While I suppose that's a matter of preference and what you're used to, how to you find CentOS lacking?
    Personally I used to use Debian for my webservers, and I did it all by command line/ssh then I went looking for some Open Source Panels cause it got tiring. Eventually I switched to Ubuntu Server mostly because it's updated rather frequently, moreso than CentOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    Personally I used to use Debian for my webservers, and I did it all by command line/ssh then I went looking for some Open Source Panels cause it got tiring. Eventually I switched to Ubuntu Server mostly because it's updated rather frequently, moreso than CentOS.
    CentOS is not intended to have the latest packages. The intent of RHEL & CentOS is to provide a stable enterprise environment. CentOS doesn't include new releases of third party packages until stability has been demonstrated with Fedora.

CentOS is not intended to have the latest packages. The intent of RHEL & CentOS is to provide a stable enterprise environment. CentOS doesn't include new releases of third party packages until stability has been demonstrated with Fedora.
    Yes and by doing so, some of the software running is outdated by the time it is "stable." At least by their standards.

We have been looking at vesta-CP for small-scale deployments and so far we are really liking what we see. It requires Centos and it installed in about 5 or 6 minutes. Installs into a new VPS. Just be sure to read the install script before installing so you can decide if you want to use bleeding edge (remi repo) or not quite bleeding edge (EPEL repo)

The documentation at the moment is severely lacking, but the product itself is just fine if you have a handful of users who want to manage their sites.

security - I cannot comment as to if it is or is not secure, but from a very quick look at the code (it is an open source project) it looks to be pretty good in terms of checking/validating user input.

Vesta is 256 Shell scripts and 1 compiled program, the CP is an nginx/php-fpm set of PHP scripts that provide the front-end to the 257 vesta scripts/programs.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I have tried to use zpanel for my personal needs twice, but both time it turned out to be a failure.
    Though if you need a quick setup of a GUI, LAMP (with postfix as the mailserver), a zpanel setup is a good option. However, it still lacks a lot of features that's still under development.

New version Of Zpanel is very cool.
    easy to install and manage
    If you good on server configuration the Zpanel choice is for you.