Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burstnet SPAM? Really now?

Has anybody else had this as of late?

I see a number of our addresses were plastered with spam from Burstnet last night, obviously not something we'd subscribe to as a competitor, bur this last one convinced me they bought a full out spam-list, nobody else would have e-pagers in their list aside from a harvester:

From - Sun Sep 29 10:20:42 2013
    X-Account-Key: account10
    X-UIDL: 000024134cd23f92
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    X-Mozilla-Keys:
    Return-Path: <vmail@external-1.prioritycolo.com>
    X-Original-To: catch-all@ prioritycolo.com
    Delivered-To: catch-all@ prioritycolo.com
    Received: by external-1.prioritycolo.com (Postfix, from userid 5000)
    id F08E31CC45; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:21:52 -0400 (EDT)
    X-Original-To: emergency -- pager@ prioritycolo.com
    Delivered-To: emergency -- pager@ prioritycolo.com
    Received: by external-1.prioritycolo.com (Postfix, from userid 58)
    id CB4D61CC2E; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:21:52 -0400 (EDT)
    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.2 (2011-06-06) on
    external-1.prioritycolo.com
    X-Spam-Level: ***
    X-Spam-Status: No, score=3.1 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_20,DATE_IN_PAST_12_24,
    HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_04,HTML_MESSAGE,SUBJ_ALL_CAPS,URIBL_BLOCKED autolearn=no
    version=3.3.2
    Received: from delivery.burstnet.net (delivery40.burstnet.net [64.191.114.13])
    (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
    (No client certificate requested)
    by external-1.prioritycolo.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E55651CC19
    for <emergency -- pager@ prioritycolo.com>; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:21:48 -0400 (EDT)
    Received: from root by delivery.burstnet.net with local (Exim 4.80.1)
    (envelope-from <return@mailbox2.burstnet.net>)
    id 1VQHsb-0003Qi-53
    for emergency -- pager@ prioritycolo.com; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:21:49 -0400
    To: emergency -- pager@ prioritycolo.com
    Subject: NEW DATACENTER NOW OPEN - CONTACT TO NEGOTIATE!
    Message-ID: <6fccc1a020d6ad38eaad96f8dc58a2d8@mailbox2.burstnet.net>
    Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:30:05 -0400
    Reply-To: sales@burstnet.net
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Mailer-LID: 3
    List-Unsubscribe: <http://mailbox2.burstnet.net/unsubscribe.php?M=177017&C=7196e1649dbf036c075b120bdbc8a345&L=3&N=3>
    X-Mailer-RecptId: 177017
    X-Mailer-SID: 3
    X-Mailer-Sent-By: 1
    Content-Type: multipart/related;
    type="multipart/alternative"; charset="UTF-8"; boundary="b1_d418d46f2b8280436ac14896382d5505"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    Content-Disposition: inline
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - delivery.burstnet.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - prioritycolo.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [0 0] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mailbox2.burstnet.net
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: delivery.burstnet.net: sender_ident via received_protocol == local: root/only user confirmed/virtual account not confirmed
    [The e-pager address edited slightly to avoid further spambot pickup, but they had it dead on].

Burst reps, whats going on here? Why are you using harvested lists to spam, and even then, don't you check 'em first? Are you really that hard off??

64.191.114.13 doesn't seem to be listed in their SPF records.

Confirmed.. We received this too and we have never had any sort of interaction with them ever...

We received this spam to our sales@ email address as well.

This is interesting because the 'marketing' I get from burstnet are sent from

Received: from mailbox by inter.burst.net with local (Exim 4.80.1)
    (envelope-from <return@mailbox.burst.net>)
    Received: from inter.burst.net (inter.burst.net [66.96.192.200])
    (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
    (Client did not present a certificate)
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - inter.burst.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mailbox.burst.net
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: inter.burst.net: authenticated_id: mailbox/from_h
    My unsub link is: http://mailbox.burst.net/cgi-bin/sub...unsubscribe&u=[INTEGER]&s=2&confirm

--

Why would they use an entirely different set of IPs and entirely different set of domains/hostnames? This is on a "legitimately opted-in intentionally" address.

We purchased a list of hosting providers from a company we have been buying double opt-in list of technology buyers from for years without issue. Apparently not the case here with what appears to be questionable addresses on this recent list. We are only about 10% thru the mailing, and have immediately halted further mailings to it, until we can get to the bottom of it with our list vendor. Not happy about this.
    Last edited by HostJedi; 09-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    We purchased a list of hosting providers from a company we have been buying double opt-in list of technology buyers from for years without issue. Apparently not the case here with what appears to be questionable addresses on this recent list. We are only about 10% thru the mailing, and have immediately halted further mailings to it, until we can get to the bottom of it with our list vendor. Not happy about this.
    Why would you spam a list of hosting providers about your products, if they didn't directly sign up to YOUR list.

If I signed up to another service, unrelated to Burst.net, it doesn't mean you can use my email address to spam me about your products, that's considered spam if I didn't agree to receive YOUR emails.

Regardless of the quality of the list, you do realize this is the very definition of spam, buying a "list" from party A, and sending the people on said list your promotions.

If you didn't make the list yourself, then the people on it never agreed to receive your mailings, and you are spamming those people.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Regardless of the quality of the list, you do realize this is the very definition of spam, buying a "list" from party A, and sending the people on said list your promotions.

If you didn't make the list yourself, then the people on it never agreed to receive your mailings, and you are spamming those people.
    Apparently we think alike ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Has anybody else had this as of late?
    Yep, received it to our sales@ e-mail address. As if our sales team is going to be interested in purchasing a competitor's services.

I call BS, and as you've been part of the industry a long time, it should be obvious to you that:
    1) In practice, there's no such thing as a double opt-in list. Single opt-in lists are rare enough. The double opt-in list is just a line spammers use to try to get onto your network, and should be very transparent to a host. Or do you actually let these spammers onto your network?
    2) Even if someone opted in to one particular list, that doesn't meant they've opted in to being contacted by a 3rd party such as you. Nobody ever opts in to be contacted by anybody at all.
    3) Some simple vetting of some of these e-mail addresses should have made it obvious that they are not appropriate e-mail addresses to use

Sounds like you've been engaging in spamming practices for some time, and just happen to have been caught for being far too flagrant this time.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Why would you spam a list of hosting providers about your products, if they didn't directly sign up to YOUR list.

If I signed up to another service, unrelated to Burst.net, it doesn't mean you can use my email address to spam me about your products, that's considered spam if I didn't agree to receive YOUR emails.

Untrue. Majority of list providers in the direct marketing industry gather up subscribers from their various sources,
    and confirm at the time that you desire to subscribe to their list, and receive emails/offers from their partners as well, etc...
    The good ones gather info on what types of services/products you are interested in during their sign up process, so they can tailor their partner mailings to such.
    Mailing lists are not always tied to a specific website, rather to the list you signed up for.
    That is typically the list type that we buy, and have run for well over a decade on them without issue.
    Obviously not the case on this specific list we just purchased from a previously very reliable/clean source.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

I got the same BurstNet spam. On a private email used for mailing list communications. Bad list or not, you guys spam my personal gmail too, which if why I've marked @burst.net as spam and blacklisted your mailing IPs on our email servers.

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    As if our sales team is going to be interested in purchasing a competitor's services.
    Majority of our business is wholesale to other hosting providers, so this is a major target market for us to advertise to.

2) Even if someone opted in to one particular list, that doesn't meant they've opted in to being contacted by a 3rd party such as you. Nobody ever opts in to be contacted by anybody at all.
    Absolutely untrue.
    I guess you have not subscribed to anything in years, and this is standard practice in direct mail for a long time now. Most sources ask if you want to receive mailings from their 3rd party partners. Also, alot of lists are composed of customer addresses of people that actually bought services/products, and agreed to such mailings during the ordering process. I know of a major free hosting provider that the signup terms require you to agree to receive mailing from their partners in return for services they provide you. We have advertised to their mailing list for years, without issue.

3) Some simple vetting of some of these e-mail addresses should have made it obvious that they are not appropriate e-mail addresses to use
    Has not been necessary to date with this source, never had a problem with their lists, always been a reliable clean source for us until now. Obviously something went wrong on this latest one provided to us. Not really feasible to go thru all addresses on a list, but we'll definitely be spot checking them in the future based on this occurrence.

Has not been necessary to date with this source, never had a problem with their lists, always been a reliable clean source for us until now. Obviously something went wrong on this latest one provided to us. Not really feasible to go thru all addresses on a list, but we'll definitely be spot checking them in the future based on this occurrence.
    Please provide the business who sold our email addresses to you so we can go after them instead of you, if you're innocent.

I got the same mail to our support@ address and I'm pretty sure it wasn't signed up anywhere, as it's for tickets only - we have separate e-mail addresses for employees, billing, social, forums, etc. Furthermore we didn't have any business or contact with BurstNET before. Apart from that we don't even offer hosting. Even if it's "opted-in", it's still spam IMHO and is also considered as that in my country. Looks like we have another provider to stay away from.
    Inbound Marketing & real SEO for web hosting providers
    ✎ Get in touch with me: co<at>infinitnet.de

What's more interesting: If this is indeed not spam, then why are you sending it from at least 3 different IPs based on this thread?

Return-Path: <return@mailbox2.burstnet.net>
    Delivered-To: <@*SNIP*@>@redspeedservers.com
    Received: from smtp43.gate.ord1a (smtp43.gate.ord1a.rsapps.net [10.130.4.43])
    by store90a.mail.ord1a (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 7BD072002E
    for <<@*SNIP*@>@redspeedservers.com>; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 09:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
    X-Spam-Threshold: 95
    X-Spam-Score: 0
    X-Spam-Flag: NO
    X-Virus-Scanned: OK
    X-MessageSniffer-Scan-Result: 0
    X-MessageSniffer-Rules: 0-0-0-32767-c
    X-CMAE-Scan-Result: 0
    X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=K5MbQUmI c=1 sm=0 tr=0 a=G60IA9YONGqv8tau7Bh8IQ==:117 a=G60IA9YONGqv8tau7Bh8IQ==:17 a=YzBUtftKIW0A:10 a=fGICf74V1NIA:10 a=6MDjjD2sFDMA:10 a=HRn4fpiT8EsA:10 a=9cBgYShvAAAA:8 a=QSUnyj8gAAAA:8 a=eAVw9ABAj_MA:10 a=Ld2IkkI4bxC5js-eT5oA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=uYPXSFSQey4A:10 a=9MnvP5reNqMA:10 a=a5PEr9OYfNsA:10 a=PNMgng_iYTAA:10 a=9ejxr2_hCh6XMQY3-uwA:9 a=gadgeSmg9DPLeOks:21 a=E9Wv59IOD9nDze41:21 a=KaTv9qbx9jblsS5G:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=ZL0_mAHpHQMA:10 a=R6ZyI8q6puMA:10 a=df_dqgVO41AA:10 a=MEKsiIsF2OYA:10 a=ZYQg_hdebPMA:10 a=sgckaI0el8yP9YN11QUA:9 a=KQqxNPgzF0kA:10
    X-Orig-To: <@*SNIP*@>@redspeedservers.com
    X-Originating-Ip: [66.197.211.11]
    Received: from [66.197.211.11] ([66.197.211.11:57024] helo=delivery.burstnet.net)
    by smtp43.gate.ord1a.rsapps.net (envelope-from <return@mailbox2.burstnet.net>)
    (ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTPS (cipher=AES256-SHA)
    id 98/49-14551-62728425; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 09:12:07 -0400
    Received: from root by delivery.burstnet.net with local (Exim 4.80.1)
    (envelope-from <return@mailbox2.burstnet.net>)
    id 1VQGn8-0000SC-Dm
    for <@*SNIP*@>@redspeedservers.com; Sun, 29 Sep 2013 09:12:06 -0400
    To: <@*SNIP*@>@redspeedservers.com
    Subject: NEW DATACENTER NOW OPEN - CONTACT TO NEGOTIATE!
    Message-ID: <f14c250843166839cc740e1148270846@mailbox2.burstnet.net>
    Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:30:05 -0400
    Reply-To: sales@burstnet.net
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Mailer-LID: 3
    List-Unsubscribe: <http://mailbox2.burstnet.net/unsubscribe.php?M=175786&C=d51c211badfb719163c5929724bec4ba&L=3&N=3>
    X-Mailer-RecptId: 175786
    X-Mailer-SID: 3
    X-Mailer-Sent-By: 1
    Content-Type: multipart/related;
    type="multipart/alternative"; charset="UTF-8"; boundary="b1_d418d46f2b8280436ac14896382d5505"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    Content-Disposition: inline
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - delivery.burstnet.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - redspeedservers.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [0 0] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mailbox2.burstnet.net
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: delivery.burstnet.net: sender_ident via received_protocol == local: root/only user confirmed/virtual account not confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Please provide the business who sold our email addresses to you so we can go after them instead of you, if you're innocent.
    +1 . We got spammed on our support@ address with not one, but 4 emails. I do receive mailers from BurstNET on all our registered email addresses with them but I can say for sure that I would never use support@ to signup for any mailing list. support@ links to our support system and would create a ticket loop.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by RSS-Artie View Post
    What's more interesting: If this is indeed not spam, then why are you sending it from at least 3 different IPs based on this thread?
    Probably from different servers in our mailing server cluster.

I'd like to know why you use different software. The spam that others report getting are via Interspire/SendStudio apparently.

Legitimate subscribes are sent from an entirely different IP and software, which I'm interested in as to why if they think buying others' scraped lists are "legitimate"

Majority of our business is wholesale to other hosting providers, so this is a major target market for us to advertise to.
    Hosting company or not, it should be clear that a sales address is not an appropriate contact.

Absolutely untrue.
    I guess you have not subscribed to anything in years, and this is standard practice in direct mail for a long time now. Most sources ask if you want to receive mailings from their 3rd party partners.
    You're right, I haven't subscribed to anything in years, any mail from your company included.

I don't see how anyone would wittingly allow themselves to be included on a mailing list with such open-ended terms, unless they were receiving something significant in value in exchange. In any event, such a list should be very, very small and be heavily scrutinized before use.

Let me ask you, which double opt-in mailing lists with this type of open-ended terms are you currently subscribed to?

Has not been necessary to date with this source, never had a problem with their lists, always been a reliable clean source for us until now.
    Should be necessary with any source. Anyone who sells mailing lists as a business has questionable ethics to begin with. Perhaps it's my personal bias against spam speaking here, but I'm inclined to think anyone using mailing lists has questionable ethics as well.

In any event, for what it's worth, the odds of us ever doing business with you has gone from near zero to absolute zero. And when referring customers looking for lower end servers that aren't a good fit for us, we most certainly will not be recommending you any longer (if anything we'll be warning them to stay away from you).
    Last edited by hhw; 09-29-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Can you please respond back to my question.

Quote Originally Posted by fierce510 View Post
    I'd like to know why you use different software. The spam that others report getting are via Interspire/SendStudio apparently.

Legitimate subscribes are sent from an entirely different IP and software, which I'm interested in as to why if they think buying others' scraped lists are "legitimate"

No, we have recently changed mailing software for all our lists...in-house lists as well as purchased.
    Lists we purchased prior were NOT scraped--this is the first purchased list we have ever had an issue with.
    Purchased lists can be 100% legit, regardless of whether you like the idea or not...

Lists we purchased prior were NOT scraped--this is the first purchased list we have ever had an issue with.
    Which kind of addresses did they contain then? If you have to buy lists, it means that the people that you "advertise" to didn't have any prior contact with you, in which case it already is an "issue". Such lists might be legal in the US and some other countries, but yet they're questionable. Facebook ads and similar would be a more appropiate alternative for any legit company.

Well, on the bright side this will at least attract customers who want to "feed their own mailing lists".
    Inbound Marketing & real SEO for web hosting providers
    ✎ Get in touch with me: co<at>infinitnet.de

Should be necessary with any source. Anyone who sells mailing lists as a business has questionable ethics to begin with. Perhaps it's my personal bias against spam speaking here, but I'm inclined to think anyone using mailing lists has questionable ethics as well.

You are entitled to your opinion.
    As a hosting provider, I can't say I don't understand you...as we deal with spam aggravation all day long, just as you do probably. There is a difference between spam, and legit direct marketing though. Our mailings have always been the latter, until this recent list utilized which bit us in the arse obviously. Fortunately we were able to stop the mailing to the list only 10% into it, before it really caused a headache.

The rest of the business world operates heavily in the direct marketing spectrum, and it is a major source of obtaining new business, and a pretty standard tool in the marketing toolbag.
    Last edited by HostJedi; 09-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.

It's probably the WHMCS hacked database that was sold to you guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast