hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : [FEATURED] Linode allegedly compromised

Forum Jump

Linode allegedly compromised

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Linode allegedly compromised

So, I have a Linode, right.

I woke up this morning and someone named 'ryan' told me that my financial information was compromised.

He provided this as proof: https://bin.defuse.ca/hq0Ay8RzpKdR6vQwYxnmhc ( mirrored at http://turtle.dereferenced.org/~neno...e/pastebin.png ).

There is also discussion of it on their IRC channel. I have snipped out the relevant part of the conversation.

Abridged: http://turtle.dereferenced.org/~neno...e-abridged.txt
Full log: http://turtle.dereferenced.org/~neno...ode/linode.log

I knew something was fishy when my 160 character generated password was claimed to be 'compromised'.

Thread Summary
Thread Summary Linode was indeed compromised:

Quote:
As a result of the vulnerability, this group gained access to a web server, parts of our source code, and ultimately, our database.

Contributors: Orien

Share This Summary:

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Temporarily Suspended

Has Linode made a statement about this yet?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Problem Solver

I don't know but magically today my password expired on my dev account.

Edit: http://blog.linode.com/2013/04/12/se...assword-reset/

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Web Hosting Master

Ouch I'm glad they took action and expired all passwords. Got to be hard to find someone has hacked they way in.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

My understanding was that they were not compromised but needlessly reset everyone's passwords anyway.

See their wording:
"coordinated attempt to access the account of one of our customers"

"We have found no evidence that any Linode data of any other customer was accessed"

I'm quite confused as to how an "attempt" to access "one" customer's data effects anyone else. If I had to make a guess, I'd suspect that they left out some vital information. People ATTEMPT to access ALL of my clients EVERY day. I suspect any host around here who watches incoming malicious traffic could say the same. I don't force everyone to reset their passwords every day. What am I missing here?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Corporate Member

Yeah, looks like linode expired everyone's passwords forcing them to update them as a security precaution. It seems even though this ryan kid claims the DB is on his computer, I would assume he cant do much with it as its probably encrypted.

Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Old 04-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Golden Member

The higher you are the harder you fall.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
Yeah, looks like linode expired everyone's passwords forcing them to update them as a security precaution. It seems even though this ryan kid claims the DB is on his computer, I would assume he cant do much with it as its probably encrypted.
I would never assume such a thing. My experience of data breaches (which given I am a privacy guy is fairly substantial) is that it is more often than not that the data is NOT encrypted.

Paladine

Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
I would never assume such a thing. My experience of data breaches (which given I am a privacy guy is fairly substantial) is that it is more often than not that the data is NOT encrypted.

Paladine
For Linode's sake, and my own, I hope they are PCI compliant. What bugs me is that here Linode is clearly telling me I have nothing to worry about, then taking an action that clearly implies that I do have something to worry about.

I don't know that I put much faith in this "Ryan" fellow but I would certainly urge him not to prove his point at our expense. If my billing data was compromised and Linode told me to reset my password for no reason, because even that wasn't compromised according to them, the amount of "upset" that I'll be wouldn't fit on any graph I've ever seen.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
For Linode's sake, and my own, I hope they are PCI compliant. What bugs me is that here Linode is clearly telling me I have nothing to worry about, then taking an action that clearly implies that I do have something to worry about.

I don't know that I put much faith in this "Ryan" fellow but I would certainly urge him not to prove his point at our expense. If my billing data was compromised and Linode told me to reset my password for no reason, because even that wasn't compromised according to them, the amount of "upset" that I'll be wouldn't fit on any graph I've ever seen.
They are not, read the IRC log on #linode:

05:42 < ryan||> credit cards were encrypted, sadly both the private and public keys were stored on the webserver so that provides 0 additional security

Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I think it would be a very good idea to start making preparations to change card information.

Luckily, I was on a bi-yearly plan so my card information was already expired anyway (due to another host being hacked I already changed it unfortunately... how ironic).

Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Found this thread being slashdotted.
But fortunately I don't have any plan with linode since years ago.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Ten years on this site!

Perhaps Linode being Linode being super cautious just went for a full reset of the passwords to get people to think more about their choice when selecting a password.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1H-Lee View Post
Perhaps Linode being Linode being super cautious just went for a full reset of the passwords to get people to think more about their choice when selecting a password.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
That is an interpretation that I would accept. It did not come across to me that way so thank you for the alternate perspective.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenolod View Post
They are not, read the IRC log on #linode:

05:42 < ryan||> credit cards were encrypted, sadly both the private and public keys were stored on the webserver so that provides 0 additional security
Funny you should mention that I nearly stated in my last post "Either the data is not encrypted or the keys are stored in the same place as the data."

You would be amazed how often it happens that way.

Paladine