hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : HTML or Wordpress Template?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

HTML or Wordpress Template?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 AM

WordPress. For design, you have many choices from free or premium themes. For functional, there are tons of plugins to enhance your website.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Junior Guru

WordPress templates are very fluid these days, a wide variety of them allow you to update and upgrade features on the fly with plugins. The great thing is after you add your content you can upgrade to a new look and feel at any time with a few clicks.:-P

Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 AM

Wordpress sometimes gets to bloated for my use (you need to keep your eyes on it or it gets hacked, etc).

I run some sites that just need 3-4 really simple static HTML pages to basically inform really qucik about the status of an issue.

However, even with just 3-4 static HTML pages it is important to get the SEO right. (tags, meta, CSS?, etc)

In Sotaculous/Fantastico there are 10+ blog systems and Soft has 37+!! CMS systems there. But they all seem bloated, it seems they want to be all things.

Are there any really really really simple CMS systems for 3-4 pages in html?
On par with HTML editing yourself in a text document.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoonley View Post
For a begginer in website's with minimal knowledge in html and wordpress, which template should one buy and have the easiest time editing and customizing for personal/business use?
For a begginer it will be easier to look for a commercial theme from the many available. Start looking at wordpress.org commercial themes page and visit the linked websites.

You will want a theme that suits your desired look and feel, but also one that is customizable without the need of template modifications. That's where the commercial themes are usually better. When you got some candidates, do your research and compare the themes, but also the companies that publish them. Check for the type of support that they offer, and their online demos. You can also check the net for reviews of their customers or other blogs.

Ideally you want a theme that does not require modifications, as being a beginner, that can take a considerable amount of time.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomex View Post
Wordpress is a great option if you're not familiar with HTML but there is some drawbacks:

- due to the database session, plugins etc it'll be slower than your average static HTML site
- if you don't keep Wordpress updated it will get hacked eventually but if you're careful and maintain it well you'll be fine
- whenever you install a theme or plugin you're putting your trust in them. Without looking at each line of code you won't know if it's secure or not
That's certainly true. The first problem can be alleviated easily by using a caching plugin like W3 Total Cache along with server side caching systems like memcached.

Because the other issues, I have seen people trapped in a situation where updating would break their installs or plugins compatibility, but not updating would jeopardize their server due the various security vulnerabilities. In other cases where wordpress is used to sporadically update a small business or personal blog, I have seen spending more time doing wordpress updates than actually writing content. Sometimes we have been asked to convert live wordpress sites to static copies of them to escape of those issues, by people who was really feed up with the situation.

In the other hand, maintaining a pure static html site can become quite cumbersome and time consuming. For all those reasons and some other more, we finally opted for the best of both worlds and made a custom solution where our server uses pure static content, while we maintain the content of our site using wordpress.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Web Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stdev View Post
Because the other issues, I have seen people trapped in a situation where updating would break their installs or plugins compatibility, but not updating would jeopardize their server due the various security vulnerabilities. In other cases where wordpress is used to sporadically update a small business or personal blog, I have seen spending more time doing wordpress updates than actually writing content. Sometimes we have been asked to convert live wordpress sites to static copies of them to escape of those issues, by people who was really feed up with the situation.
That's possible, especially if the site builder is/was not experienced with WordPress. If the site is build like the way it should, updates are usually very easy to install. Literally one click, and couple of minutes of waiting at most.

If stuff isn't done right, or when the updates go wrong... Well, I'm sure you all can imagine what can happen. I've seen a plugin upgrade lose all custom field information, framework themes change their HTML structure, etc. In these cases the update may easily take dozens of times more effort, because you have to hunt and fix the errors.

Taking regular backups is the right way to go, and it's also very easy with WordPress. But that's only for the worst case scenario.

BTW, it's possible to use WordPress as a CMS and still have a static site as a "frontend". There are also services that basically do that. Cloudflare might have been mentioned in the thread already.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Junior Guru

a widget friendly template allows you to add new features with a few clicks and with the amount of plugins out there you can install all kinds of configuration options.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Oh man, I've used many CMSs over the years. Most recently Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, and Dreamweaver.

For someone just getting started, I recommend WordPress. It has tremendous support and likely one of the shorter learning curves.

Plus, for template editing, it is easy enough for the basic stuff (changing colors, slight layout, images).

Once you are ready to tackle larger edits, you will find it relatively easy, but will also be able to modify templates with the other CMSs fairly confidently.

Good Luck in what you decide!

Scott M
InMotion Hosting Customer Community

Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
BTW, it's possible to use WordPress as a CMS and still have a static site as a "frontend". There are also services that basically do that. Cloudflare might have been mentioned in the thread already.
Cloudflare service looks interesting. I have been looking at their page and they state:

"Adding your website requires only a simple change to your domain's DNS settings."

The performance optimizations that they do are cool, but does their system prevent direct access to your server? I can think of a bad guy simple targeting the server by IP access directly, and in such case you better have a properly secured installation.

Plese correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
For a begginer in website's with minimal knowledge in html and wordpress, which template should one buy and have the easiest time editing and customizing for personal/business use?
Wordpress for sure. You can find a lot of free templates that don't need to be customized ... only istalled ( 2 - 3 clicks only )

Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM

WordPress is the most plausible choice as it is suitable for a beginner. At the same time, it provides much space for later developments, and is very good for SEO.

You don't have to fuss with the HTML, is takes care of this, so WordPress can be a better one for your project.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
At first go with free template later stages you can research and get the best one

Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 AM

Wordpress will save you a plenty of time as a beginner.
I always try to use Wordpress for managing the content easily. You also have a lot of plugin options too.
Customizing WP isn't tough either.
In the case of HTML, You will need to do everything manually. Less functionality. Though it would be totally custom.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Webhosting Guru

I would definitely suggest wordpress. I found a good comparison on google. Check it out: http://studio2108.com/news/the-pros-...ustom-website/
It would take a minute to add a new page to the navigation in wordpress but would take hours, maybe days if your website has numerous pages, to update the site in HTML.
Hope this helps

Closed Thread