Diablo 3

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
You broke the internet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
I dunno
I know plenty of old school (D1, D2) players that refuse to pick it up, because they're forcing online on everyone now. This will most likely be it.
I can't imagine who could even like offline play. The game is almost meaningless/not nearly as fun.

Sponsored Links
Old
Just me

Well, they do raise some valid points.
Basically, by purchasing this game, we're at Blizzard/Activision's whim. Activision hasn't really had the best history in supporting it's customers, just check out their DMCA claims.

So, basically, if battlenet ever dies (and nothing is alive forever), you're screwed with D3. Before you say "they won't do that", look at one of the major game developers today, EA. They HAVE done just that a few times, and people that picked up games affected were basically just left hanging.

To add to that, sometimes you just wanna play offline. Not everyone has a massive internet connection, not everyone can afford it, not every city/town has it, not every location can get it. I know people who've been waiting for years for AT&T to turn on DSL to their neighborhood (their only chance at HS internet). The pipe is already there, but AT&T won't do it.

Believe it or not, not everyone lives online!

Old
WHT Addict

decade later.. we have v3 woot!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Well, they do raise some valid points.
Basically, by purchasing this game, we're at Blizzard/Activision's whim. Activision hasn't really had the best history in supporting it's customers, just check out their DMCA claims.

So, basically, if battlenet ever dies (and nothing is alive forever), you're screwed with D3. Before you say "they won't do that", look at one of the major game developers today, EA. They HAVE done just that a few times, and people that picked up games affected were basically just left hanging.
While there are legitimate gripes to be had with the online-only DRM thing, you're so completely and utterly clueless with these two paragraphs...

Blizzard have a great reputation for supporting their obsolete games. I dug out my old WC3 CD that was scratched to hell, put the CD-key into my B.net account and wham (seriously, that's the noise I made slamming the CD case down on the table in triumph) I started a download of a NO-CD cracked version of WC3, officially supported by Blizzard.

This works with almost all of their old games, to my knowledge, including Starcraft: Brood War. Because Brood War never had a unique CD key, they err on the side of generousity and give everyone who owned SC a copy of BW as well.

Taking that into account (the fact that on games they're really not selling in huge numbers, they'll wilfully disarm the DRM) gives me the utmost confidence that they'll do the same thing with D3 when the time comes to close down the servers.

Sure Activision may have a reputation as a money-grubbing-****-heap of a company now, but Blizzard have a great reputation for supporting their outdated games and I'd really like to hear your experience for thinking otherwise.

Oh and I'd also like to point out that most of their games are still supported on Battle.net a solid decade after they were released.

Old
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
. . . Other than the fact that I'll be touring the Aussie outback with a spotty 3G connection . . .
If you're in my neck of the woods, Toowoomba, sing out, if you survive the "Aussie outback".

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous View Post
I can't imagine who could even like offline play. The game is almost meaningless/not nearly as fun.
I always play against a human. No point playing against AI.

Old
Arbeitsloser

I enjoy both on-line and off-line. Off-line is fun in a completely different way. Sometimes it is just fun walking around with random gears that wouldn't otherwise be proper or viable when you have other people around.

Old
Retired Moderator

Pre-ordered online.. just got to wait for the servers to come up to install, good to go. Work early morning Tuesday and game comes up at 2AM so will have to wait until the next night but, oh boy!!!!

Old
VP Of Twinkies

Battle.net won't go down aslong as blizzard is around.. and I can't see them dying anytime soon.. I mean it's been around for like 14 years now or so? It's also supplemented by pay to play games, so the chances of it going down is a lot less compared to things like origin, steam, etc.. which are just strictly content delivery and authentication where cashflow is based on sales than monthly usage.

Battle.net's biggest issue is just the performance.. I always had rage issues back in starcraft/diablo2 days.. dropped connections, lag, etc.

Old
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg- View Post
Battle.net won't go down aslong as blizzard is around..
People say that about plenty of services, yet, when times are tough, the first thing to go is the free services. I have no doubt that they'll keep it up for a while, maybe another 10 years, but the point to the whole thing is what if they decide it's not paying them enough? Believe it or not, major companies have cut services like this many times in the past. Again, I point to EA, one of the largest game manufacturers in the country, with hundreds of titles. These people are making a TON more than Blizzard could imagine, yet they do this all the time. The people who bought their games? Well, they're just SOL

Old
Arbeitsloser

Quote:
People say that about plenty of services, yet, when times are tough, the first thing to go is the free services.
Just to be clear, you mean from the gamer's point of view right?

Old
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
Just to be clear, this is from the gamer's point of view right?
It doesn't matter who's point of view it is from. In this case, though it is from the business perspective.

From a business perspective, at some point, servers like these become far too much of a drain on company resources. I mean, common sense here. They're not making anything on them, so, at some point, when things come up on the chopping block, they will be the first to go.

From a gamer's perspective, absolutely, this sucks. I've seen it far too many times, just as recently as last week with playfish/EA closing down an app game , in their words "to focus on bringing better things", but in the end, it's the same thing.. No revenue, things need to close, it is done.

EA's also done this countless other times... Console game servers just go down, leaving the game owner (who paid $60 for the game at retail) wondering just what they bought into.

This is precisely why this method doesn't work. DRM, I get it, it's necessary, not gonna say anything about that. The fact is though, that if a giant like EA (who also owns playfish) is forced to do this due to monetary reasons, there's nothing stopping Blizzard/Activision from pulling the same thing

Old
You broke the internet!!

Quote:
It doesn't matter who's point of view it is from. In this case, though it is from the business perspective.

From a business perspective, at some point, servers like these become far too much of a drain on company resources. I mean, common sense here. They're not making anything on them, so, at some point, when things come up on the chopping block, they will be the first to go.

From a gamer's perspective, absolutely, this sucks. I've seen it far too many times, just as recently as last week with playfish/EA closing down an app game , in their words "to focus on bringing better things", but in the end, it's the same thing.. No revenue, things need to close, it is done.

EA's also done this countless other times... Console game servers just go down, leaving the game owner (who paid $60 for the game at retail) wondering just what they bought into.

This is precisely why this method doesn't work. DRM, I get it, it's necessary, not gonna say anything about that. The fact is though, that if a giant like EA (who also owns playfish) is forced to do this due to monetary reasons, there's nothing stopping Blizzard/Activision from pulling the same thing
Actually, as time pushes forward it costs these companies less and less to keep the servers alive. Why EA cut stuff off is beyond me, but Blizzard doesn't do this even for Diablo---a game where you pay ONCE and thats it, no monthly payments and the servers still have been running, not only that but with constant patches for new features.

Old
Arbeitsloser

I think Blizzard represents a different way of managing games, a sort of economies of scale that only they can achieve, and this builds a certain trust for the brand. Their model might cause other companies to crash and burn.

Old
WHT Addict

I probably guess its not the same feeling like the old Diablo Series but definitely worth the wait.