hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : SEO / SEM Discussions : Google Begins Penalizing Search 'Over-Optimization

Forum Jump

Google Begins Penalizing Search 'Over-Optimization

Reply Post New Thread In SEO / SEM  Discussions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 AM

Google Begins Penalizing Search 'Over-Optimization

Google is making a change to its search algorithm to penalize what the company's head of Web spam called "over-optimization" and instead favor websites with high-quality content and less refined search-engine optimization.

My one site have affected by these changes. My lots of keywords ranked on first page. But now they rank on 3-4 pages in Google. I do not know, what happened, but I have lost all keyword ranking as well as traffic. I have never used any technique to optimization my site. Have someone faced this problem? I want to recover from this problem. Please suggest…

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

Well Google's employees who'd do this manually or using any kind of automated method definitely do not apply objective criteria in any single case. I'm sure they are trying to do a good job. However at the end of the day you can see a bunch of low quality spammy websites ranked well and others which are content rich, disqualified.

Just look at your web pages, take your time to find out whether you're missing something and resubmit the website for crawling if necessary.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM
New Menber

According to me the best way to recovery from over optimization is very simple but tasking. You should have to slow down the SEO and create more and more great quality content.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

How does a web hosting company create more unique content for their company homepage :p ?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan View Post
How does a web hosting company create more unique content for their company homepage :p ?
Maybe have a 'New Customers' section on your home page, showcasing some of your recent clients. As long as you continually can update it, you'll at least show the SE bots that the content is dynamic/fresh.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotlivechat View Post
Maybe have a 'New Customers' section on your home page, showcasing some of your recent clients. As long as you continually can update it, you'll at least show the SE bots that the content is dynamic/fresh.
That would actually be a privacy violation.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Are you sure that it is because of 'Over-optimization'?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniemark View Post
Google is making a change to its search algorithm to penalize what the company's head of Web spam called "over-optimization" and instead favor websites with high-quality content and less refined search-engine optimization.

My one site have affected by these changes. My lots of keywords ranked on first page. But now they rank on 3-4 pages in Google. I do not know, what happened, but I have lost all keyword ranking as well as traffic. I have never used any technique to optimization my site. Have someone faced this problem? I want to recover from this problem. Please suggest…

Most probably, you faced recent algorithm update ("Penguin").

Google created a special report page where they wrote:
"If your site was affected by the "Penguin" webspam algorithm update on April 24th, 2012, and you don't think it should have been affected, please give us more details below:"

Here's a link
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEVxdmdRWFJRTjRoLWZVTHZkaTBQbkE6MQ

There you can indicate your affected pages and queries

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM

After all these updates of Google Panda and Google Penguin still the search results are not accurate many times. Still there are sites who are irrelevant and ranking in top. Anyways we should maintain our sites quality to the best

Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Disabled

Google Penguin

Do you've seen your website rank down after google new update that is penguin update? if yes then what will be your next step to recover your website rank?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 AM
WHT Addict

Though i didn't face it but some of my friends has lost their rank in Google after this. Now they are planning to re-design of their website and then will start again SEO work. I don't know it will be helpful or not.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza189 View Post
Though i didn't face it but some of my friends has lost their rank in Google after this. Now they are planning to re-design of their website and then will start again SEO work. I don't know it will be helpful or not.
what do mean be redesign? is it only for contents or else?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM

Thankfully we weren’t hit...But then we never indulged in webspam either.

For those who were,
Stick to white hat (since the update discourages indulgence in spammy SEO practices), legitimate SEO work. Avoid indulgence in keyword stuffing, link spamming (link trading) & linking the same anchor text to multiple sources. Include unique, informative content in your website and make the most of social media interactions.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM

IF you are not using keyword spamming than google penguin won't harm your rankings

Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 AM
WHT Addict

I suggest you for recovering from this probs then Change your all content if possible and if you done any submission with same anchor text for Link building then please remove.

Check you all incoming links...