hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Should I buy LiteSpeed?

Forum Jump

Should I buy LiteSpeed?

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
WHT Addict

Should I buy LiteSpeed?

I'm thinking about switching to Eleven2. They have a Cloud Server I'm interested in.

For $200/month (self-managed) - it says

8,192MB Memory
480GB Hard Drive
3,000 GB Bandwidth
6.4GHz CPU Speed

Right now I have a dedicated server for about $220/month with these specs:

SuperMicro H8SMU AMD Opteron QuadCore SingleProc Sata [1Proc]
AMD Opteron 1354 2.2GHz
4GB RAM

But, Eleven2 says I have to buy managed ($125 extra) to get Apache, otherwise it comes with a "Base OS".

Should I switch to them and buy LiteSpeed? If so, which license for LiteSpeed should I get?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hello-

If you service static content Litespeed is pretty fast using their proprietary LASPI communications mechanism. I would start with the 1-CPU license as the licenses are per CPU for HTTP processing and not PHP processing. If you service hundreds of requests per second it may be necessary to upgrade to a 2-CPU license.

Good luck! :-)

=> Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
You broke the internet!!

Wow they are trying to charge you for Apache? Well if that is the case then yeah get LiteSpeed.. (it will save you $) Otherwise I would not recommend getting LiteSpeed unless you are hosting a lot of clients/websites on the server..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

:: Ponders :: Maybe I should start charging for Apache! Sheesh! That is pretty strange....

Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM
WHT Addict

Thanks for the responses.

Right now we have 5 different Wordpress sites and a vBulletin forum. I'm pretty sure we need PHP processing but maybe I'm wrong?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous View Post
Otherwise I would not recommend getting LiteSpeed unless you are hosting a lot of clients/websites on the server..
Why does everyone thinks its all to do with packing servers tight with clients?

Have you ever took time to think that someone running Litespeed doesnt need as big servers compared to someone running Apache?

I know for a fact that my 8GB servers which are utilizing only ~50% memory with Litespeed would ultize over 80% if I was to switch to Apache...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd/home View Post

Have you ever took time to think that someone running Litespeed doesnt need as big servers compared to someone running Apache?

I know for a fact that my 8GB servers which are utilizing only ~50% memory with Litespeed would ultize over 80% if I was to switch to Apache...
Not to mention its just plain faster. At any rate go with Litespeed if you are performing any dynamic processing for sites like you mentioned (Wordpress etc) you can't go wrong!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
WHT Addict

Looks like I can't edit the thread now but as an update, I contacted them again after finding out how much Apache costs (or how much it doesn't cost, ahem) and this time he worded it differently:

Quote:
The difference between self managed and managed is on self managed you get a base OS install. You will be required to install everything with no support from us. Managed comes ready to go with Apache installed and Cpanel

Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntraClick View Post
Looks like I can't edit the thread now but as an update, I contacted them again after finding out how much Apache costs (or how much it doesn't cost, ahem) and this time he worded it differently:
They aint charging for Apache but rather the time taken to install it, configure it, etc

If its just a server setup you require I would get a quote from a server management provider as it would be likely cheaper depending on the work done of course.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
You broke the internet!!

Quote:

I simply recommend against LiteSpeed because you'll save money without it and will not notice a difference unless you have high traffic/lots of clients/websites, and even then it isn't that much more noticeable.

Last edited by Spluut; 05-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Wow they are trying to charge you for Apache?
We do not charge for Apache. Self-managed is a default operating system where you can install whatever you need. Managed comes with cPanel installed (with Apache) and is ready to start hosting. It also includes 24/7 monitoring and support from us. Also note we can install Litespeed on your managed cloud server. You would just need to purchase a Litespeed license for your IP.

Last edited by ScottJ; 05-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I simply recommend against LiteSpeed because you'll save money without it and will not notice a difference unless you have high traffic/lots of clients/websites, and even then it is't that much more noticeable.
Really?

Well am saving money on not having to upgrade the likes of memory I have a number of Litespeed servers running on 8GB with ~50% utilization.

I guess you havent used it or else you would know that no you dont need lots of traffic or lots of clients to actually see and feel the benifits of having it.

24/7 Ticket + Phone + Live Chat Support | Fancy An Offer > | Visit Our Special Offers

Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
You broke the internet!!

Quote:
Really?

Well am saving money on not having to upgrade the likes of memory I have a number of Litespeed servers running on 8GB with ~50% utilization.

I guess you havent used it or else you would now that no you dont need lots of traffic or lots of clients to actually see and feel the benifits of having it.
If you have low traffic (even greater) you won't be using much memory in the first place to notice.

And yes I do use it as I host clients/resellers.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Web Hosting Master

LiteSpeed loads php pages around 200ms faster then Apache. x200ms by x amount of sites on the server... enough said.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Really?

I guess you havent used it or else you would know that no you dont need lots of traffic or lots of clients to actually see and feel the benifits of having it.
Little loose comment there. Ram is cheaper than Litespeed Just because it works for you doesn't mean it should be a yes/no standard - considering the "free" alternatives to apache as well.