Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    26

    Looking for alternative Reseller, VPS or Dedicated

    We're currently with a company who has a very solid reputation with regards to providing support and fully managed services. But due to how their support staff handles our tickets in the recent months, we're having second thoughts on staying on in the long term

    We currently have 4 VPS accounts with them of 45gb each and 1 reseller account with 9gb space.

    We have the following with them
    - cpanel/WHM with them with rvsitebuilder/rvskins
    - we sometimes require scripts or custom configs to be done on the server (i.e. a client would like to have all their mails mirrored to an external account. or we would need some frameworks installed etc)

    - We need support staff that understands english and are pro-active.

    any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,947
    So, you are planning to transfer all your vps with your current provider?

    Did you discuss this with your current provider to solve your concerns instead?
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.
    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    5,740
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_97 View Post
    We're currently with a company who has a very solid reputation with regards to providing support and fully managed services. But due to how their support staff handles our tickets in the recent months, we're having second thoughts on staying on in the long term

    We currently have 4 VPS accounts with them of 45gb each and 1 reseller account with 9gb space.

    We have the following with them
    - cpanel/WHM with them with rvsitebuilder/rvskins
    - we sometimes require scripts or custom configs to be done on the server (i.e. a client would like to have all their mails mirrored to an external account. or we would need some frameworks installed etc)

    - We need support staff that understands english and are pro-active.

    any recommendations?
    What are the specific issues you are having with their support (give an example of a support request that was not handled correctly). Just want to make sure you what you are requesting from them is reasonable (in terms of support).
    Visit GoFGG.com (FernGullyGraphics) for useful information about web hosting and development.

    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    So, you are planning to transfer all your vps with your current provider?

    Did you discuss this with your current provider to solve your concerns instead?
    Not all, we would still maintain the relationship until we are sure the new provider can live up to what we have with them before.

    We raised the issues both in ticket and in their forums but doesn't seem to get addressed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    What are the specific issues you are having with their support (give an example of a support request that was not handled correctly). Just want to make sure you what you are requesting from them is reasonable (in terms of support).

    different tech support handles a single ticket. normally that's never a problem for us but the next tech support doesn't seem to try to understand or read thru the thread first. so we have to describe the problem again.

    the latest is the outgoing emails of a client in one of the shared servers kept getting blocked because an account in there server is spamming (this was relayed by one of the tech) they told us they changed the IP of the mail server of our reseller account to avoid getting blocked.

    it happened again after 1 day and we asked if something was done on the account that is spamming. the second tech told us there was no spamming happening (fine). they said the IP was already changed but when we read the bounced message again. it shows the IP has not been changed. and this has been happening for about a week already. Client is getting frustrated with us already.

    It used to be that things get solved within 2-3 support ticket exchanges. now with their new support people, it would take 12 hours or upto 10 or so email exchanges just to get their different support staff to fully understand the problem

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    5,740
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_97 View Post
    different tech support handles a single ticket. normally that's never a problem for us but the next tech support doesn't seem to try to understand or read thru the thread first. so we have to describe the problem again.

    the latest is the outgoing emails of a client in one of the shared servers kept getting blocked because an account in there server is spamming (this was relayed by one of the tech) they told us they changed the IP of the mail server of our reseller account to avoid getting blocked.

    it happened again after 1 day and we asked if something was done on the account that is spamming. the second tech told us there was no spamming happening (fine). they said the IP was already changed but when we read the bounced message again. it shows the IP has not been changed. and this has been happening for about a week already. Client is getting frustrated with us already.

    It used to be that things get solved within 2-3 support ticket exchanges. now with their new support people, it would take 12 hours or upto 10 or so email exchanges just to get their different support staff to fully understand the problem
    Ah I see, thank you for the clarification. Well in all fairness, you cant just swap out an IP for the mail server like you can swap out IPs for a regular shared web hosting account (so they definitely dropped the ball by giving you that impression). The truth is, you are on a server (used by hundreds, maybe thousands of domain names) which has its main IP address blocked for spamming. The only way they can truly resolve this issue is by contacting the companies which have black listed them for spamming (this process alone is very time consuming and not always 100%).

    Another option available to you in the meantime (if you do not want to move away), is you can always circumvent their mail server and use something like Google apps to send your email?
    Visit GoFGG.com (FernGullyGraphics) for useful information about web hosting and development.

    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    26
    we can have the account transferred to another of our account with them but am scared to even think of all the email exchanges we need to go thru just to do it.

    and the account have an automatic bcc of all emails coming in and out of the client's domain to a specified email. that alone takes us at least a couple more email exchanges

  8. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Alternative to GoDaddy Dedicated
    By Decius in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM
  2. Looking for Reseller Alternative
    By RHostingMX in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 01:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •