Best way to be in multiple countries at once?

So, I've been running my insignificantly small consulting business for five years from a collocated web server in Kansas City MO. It's been great.

For a North American audience and client base, I couldn't ask for a better location. Latency is low, the bandwidth is burstable, and I have never had a serious problem with my unmanaged hosting provider. And they're very easy for me to get at if something awful happens to my machine.

But I find myself thinking about a long term change of business model, where I could do something a little less hands on. I've decided that I want to sell a product, a very specific product, and that Asia is the place I want to sell that product.

And while that sounds great, and all... it's easier said than done.

First problem is latency. Hosting from Kansas City, and doing business in Thailand or Vietnam, the latency is absolutely awful on the other side.

As if that weren't bad enough, international Google lets you screen out results that don't originate locally.

So it seems logical to have some kind of web presence in or near every country I want to do business in. That's where it gets complicated and expensive. I could take the cheap way out and go with shared hosting providers in these countries that provide dirt cheap hosting for next to nothing. The problem there is that I lose the advantage of being local if I'm on a server with 20,000 wordpress sites running. It would be slow.

I could move up to a cloud offering for each country site, but then I have the problem of needing to run multiple virtual servers in different places, which means more difficult to update, patch, and manage. What I like about the Kansas City space is that everything is centrally located.

Is there any possible way for one server to be in five countries at once? Or am I approaching this wrong?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

a CDN might be what you need
    take a look at maxcdn / cdn77.net

hope this helps

yes, a CDN might be what you need...
    http://recompiled.net
    █ Founded in 2005.
    Providing stable FreeBSD Shells, Web Hosting, and VPS.

This is extremely helpful.
    Thanks guys.

hello,

cdn77.net is a very good option, also take a look at cloudflare.com
    RedLayer.net Enterprise US Hosting With SSD Storage
    Daily Server File System Snapshot Backups Daily Off-Site Account Backups
    █ cPanel/WHM | Nginx | CloudLinux | CloudFlare | 99.95% Network Uptime Guaranteed
    █ SAN Storage - High Availability SSD Storage - Cloud Datacenter

CDN is the way to go but you can also look into setting up servers at multiple locations and doing Round-robin DNS or Location based DNS redirection to direct users to correct server/location of yours. Best of luck and do try the Find a Host option as well.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex View Post
    CDN is the way to go but you can also look into setting up servers at multiple locations and doing Round-robin DNS or Location based DNS redirection to direct users to correct server/location of yours. Best of luck and do try the Find a Host option as well.
    That's true. If I was going to do that, my preference would be to have VPS servers on the ground. I wouldn't mind that. Problem is, it would most likely have to be through different companies to get all the countries that I want. So I would be looking at dealing with at least two, but potentially up to five webhosting new companies. Unless I could find one that's everywhere.

If you have the money and want to control your site/files for security reason, setup a mini/small server in some location and use GEOIP.
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by sammymoshe View Post
    Problem is, it would most likely have to be through different companies to get all the countries that I want. So I would be looking at dealing with at least two, but potentially up to five webhosting new companies. Unless I could find one that's everywhere.
    Not if you use a provider that has multiple DCs around the world. For example Voxel has a DC in Singapore and 4 others in different locations around the world. (3 in the US) Amazon has DCs all over and two in Asia.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

You can also look at HostDime, they have centers all across the globe. They are expecting to open one later this year in HongKong.

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    Not if you use a provider that has multiple DCs around the world. For example Voxel has a DC in Singapore and 4 others in different locations around the world. (3 in the US) Amazon has DCs all over and two in Asia.
    Do they have a DC of their own in Singapore? I've said they would own a cage or something but not a whole DC

yes a CDN sound's like an ideal solution.....

leave your server where it is

setup a CDN to origin pull the content the content is then served from a more local place....

i'd look at cloudflare or cloudfront

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    Do they have a DC of their own in Singapore? I've said they would own a cage or something but not a whole DC
    I was talking in general terms, as in they have at least presence in one way or another at a datacenter in that location. If they own or not isn't a major concern to me personally as long as the datacenter being used is a good one. Running a datacenter and running a dedicated server, vps, cloud, or shared hosting service is different and many companies prefer to let the datacenter experts handle that.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    I was talking in general terms, as in they have at least presence in one way or another at a datacenter in that location. If they own or not isn't a major concern to me personally as long as the datacenter being used is a good one. Running a datacenter and running a dedicated server, vps, cloud, or shared hosting service is different and many companies prefer to let the datacenter experts handle that.
    agree . I was not debating on your statement but kinda called my attention, just that .

15. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!