hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Problem's with FDC

Forum Jump

Problem's with FDC

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru

Problem's with FDC

Anyone had any problem's with FDC lately? I have had problem after problem with them in the past month and I'm about ready to jump ship and head for Joe's, but the price is just too great. I have 10 dedi's there so I get their discount also.

I just bought a new dedi about a month ago for shared hosting. No other dedi's have problem's, I have 2 other dedi's in Denver and for some reason this last dedi for shared hosting has been down about 4 times in a month since purchase.

This last time, last night it went out at around 6PM, when I opened a ticket they just responded network problem's, wouldn't give me more info.

It was out ALL NIGHT , then this morning around 6AM I opened a new ticket and it was still out. It took 30 min. to reply (which is a lot for FDC) and then another 20 to find out what was wrong. I was replied back and they said that the PSU went out and they had to replace. How is this it went 13 hour's and no one noticed to replace.

It's just wierd, I've been using them for 2 year's now and all of a sudden all these problem's.

I lost 3 client's this morning because of the outage and one of them was a reseller with a BUTT load of account's.

Anyone know of a manager email there? I don't know what else to do I'm just at my end

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

You can try bummer6666

Old
Community Liaison

Hardware do tend to fail anytime. It is just unfortunate that it happened to your new server.

It's Fully Managed and Secured. Ask us at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

Sponsored Links
Old
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreak53 View Post
Anyone had any problem's with FDC lately? I have had problem after problem with them in the past month and I'm about ready to jump ship and head for Joe's, but the price is just too great. I have 10 dedi's there so I get their discount also.

I just bought a new dedi about a month ago for shared hosting. No other dedi's have problem's, I have 2 other dedi's in Denver and for some reason this last dedi for shared hosting has been down about 4 times in a month since purchase.

This last time, last night it went out at around 6PM, when I opened a ticket they just responded network problem's, wouldn't give me more info.

It was out ALL NIGHT , then this morning around 6AM I opened a new ticket and it was still out. It took 30 min. to reply (which is a lot for FDC) and then another 20 to find out what was wrong. I was replied back and they said that the PSU went out and they had to replace. How is this it went 13 hour's and no one noticed to replace.

It's just wierd, I've been using them for 2 year's now and all of a sudden all these problem's.

I lost 3 client's this morning because of the outage and one of them was a reseller with a BUTT load of account's.

Anyone know of a manager email there? I don't know what else to do I'm just at my end
I used to host a lot of servers at FDC, and because our usage was cpu and ram intensive, we had quite a bit of churn to get new servers and cancel old ones as new technology came out, better prices, etc. We always budgeted the first month of hosting to work out any issues with the server and figure out if we should keep it or not and if it would be reliable. Maybe the drive would fail, maybe the server would just crash a lot more often than our other servers. Maybe everything would be perfectly fine. Either way, we just generally expected that any new server we set up, we'd have to give it kind of a testing period to see if it would be ok or not. It's easier to get a new server with FDC and migrate your data and cancel the old server than it is to get them to fix the existing server. As you said, you're getting a great price, and your other servers are working fine, so it won't make sense to jump ship and cancel all your servers. On the other hand, if you want to take best advantage of FDC's low prices, you need to be prepared to deal with these kinds of problems, which often means cancelling a misbehaving server after you get a new one and migrate your data, because it's simply too difficult and time consuming to get them to repair it.

Old
Greece

Did they offer managed services to you? If not then it's your job to notify them for any hardware issue.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I've found that with FDC your hard drives will fail pretty often.

Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
I used to host a lot of servers at FDC, and because our usage was cpu and ram intensive, we had quite a bit of churn to get new servers and cancel old ones as new technology came out, better prices, etc. We always budgeted the first month of hosting to work out any issues with the server and figure out if we should keep it or not and if it would be reliable. Maybe the drive would fail, maybe the server would just crash a lot more often than our other servers. Maybe everything would be perfectly fine. Either way, we just generally expected that any new server we set up, we'd have to give it kind of a testing period to see if it would be ok or not. It's easier to get a new server with FDC and migrate your data and cancel the old server than it is to get them to fix the existing server. As you said, you're getting a great price, and your other servers are working fine, so it won't make sense to jump ship and cancel all your servers. On the other hand, if you want to take best advantage of FDC's low prices, you need to be prepared to deal with these kinds of problems, which often means cancelling a misbehaving server after you get a new one and migrate your data, because it's simply too difficult and time consuming to get them to repair it.
Thanks for the info, who did you move to? And why did you finally move?

Old
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreak53 View Post
Thanks for the info, who did you move to? And why did you finally move?
We moved out in phases, and mostly this decision was driven by cost moreso than quality. We primarily hosted a large web based proxy with FDC, and they worked well for that, but because this particular kind of website is pretty low margin, we always had to be on the lookout for a great deal, especially on bandwidth, cpu, and ram, and for a number of years FDC was far and away the best option for that. Despite a few things that happened over the years that would cause us to shake our head, overall I'm definitely glad FDC was an option for us and very glad we were able to host with them while we did. For the kind of site we were running, having to put up with a few things here and there was well worth it for what we were getting and the price we were paying. Although their support is not always the most helpful, they are always quick to respond, so if you know the right things to say to them to get them to do what needs doing, you can actually get problems resolved pretty quickly in most cases, especially simpler things like reboots, they do those faster than anyone else I've hosted with.

We've shifted around where we host various parts of that site a few times now, and as I said, the primary reason in most cases has been cost. Right now we have the CPU intensive parts of the website running on 8 servers colocated at PhoenixNap, and the bandwidth intensive parts hosted on about 18 servers at 100tb.com. For what used to cost us $15k / mo to host in 2009, we're now able to do for around $3k / mo, it's really quite amazing.

Old
Is our children learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakNet View Post
I've found that with FDC your hard drives will fail pretty often.
Based on what?

Old
Junior Guru

Funky thank you for sharing the experiences you had FDC I found it informative

Old

FDC is generally decent, although the hard drive issues seem very common, we've had issues with that personally, regardless of location.