hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Equinix Singapore
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Equinix Singapore

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Equinix Singapore

I haven't contacted Equinix Sales yet, but will do so shortly. Before I do, does someone have some very rough figures as to how much colo services at Equinix in Singapore cost?

I'm mainly looking for those elements:

- 1 Full Rack @ 3 kWatts
- 10 Full Racks @ 10 x 3 kWatts
- and any multiplier of that

I don't expect any precise answer, but maybe someone dealing with them in Singapore can give me some hints.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

I'd like to know this myself as well.

Old
Now renamed!

Too lazy to calculate, whats that in ampere?
Are you looking at 2XXV or 1XXV feeds? A+B or just A?
I can give you the price i pay then.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

240V feeds. A only.
In amperes per rack, I think 16A would be good, but we'd porbably just need around 12A in total.

Old
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
I'd like to know this myself as well.
+1 Also would like to know this myself.

Old
Now renamed!

12A? in Singapore?
I hope you sh*t money
Crossconnects are 450$ / GigE fiber per month
Power not sure
Rack is around 1500$ with 10A

Thats the pricing i got a few months ago, though from a big reseller (so i'm not sure if it is higher or lower than EQ direct - both is possible).

Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
12A? in Singapore?
I hope you sh*t money
Power not sure

Thats the pricing i got a few months ago, though from a big reseller (so i'm not sure if it is higher or lower than EQ direct - both is possible).
That is actually not expensive at all considering this is Asia and a premium facility. Try getting something like that in 60 Hudson

Old
Web Hosting Master

I'd be interested to know the breakdown of the upgrades. How much for extra power?

Thanks!

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
12A? in Singapore?
I hope you sh*t money
Power not sure

Which $ are we talking about? USD or SGD ?

either way, it is more or less what I was expecting.

Old
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by globichen View Post
Which $ are we talking about? USD or SGD ?

either way, it is more or less what I was expecting.
I mean, that's high, but it's equinix anyway, so I'm not horrifically surprised. Looking up the commercial energy prices in Singapore, I can say I'm not really surprised on the pricing as electricity is pretty spendy in the region.

Also worth mentioning that most countries that use 230v as the primary voltage, unlike in the US, colos tend to charge for power according to actual use or how much you're allowed to use, rather than the circuit size. So 10a at 230v, you might think, oh, that's like 20a at 120, but really it's not. When you consider that 2x20a circuits, we tend to run those at around 14a 120v each, going to 230v and doing it on one circuit, we'd only be using maybe 15a, so really that "10a" circuit is about 2/3 the power we get from "40a" in the US, so really not as bad as it looks.

The cost of bandwidth in Singapore is certainly a bigger factor than the colo prices mentioned. $450 for a gig-e cross connect sucks, but, even in the US, that's not really unusual. In Singapore where you could be paying $40 / meg for bandwidth in the first place, a $450 cross connect charge is basically a non-issue. Similarly, if you've got say, 25 servers in that rack, each one using 2mbps, you're already up to $2000 / mo in bandwidth charges, so the fact that the rack costs maybe $400-800 / mo more than I can get a similar rack for in the US, is kind of a minor consideration in comparison to the bandwidth being about 30 times the price I pay over here. Just for DDoS attacks alone, you'd have to have a zero tolerance policy on anyone who receives those in order to even do business there, whereas over here I'm looking to upgrade to 10gbit across the whole network to deal with that. In Singapore that wouldn't be an option, which I consider a bigger concern than the power costs for sure.

Also doesn't help that APNIC is in their exhaustion policy for IPs and are only allocating each ASN a maximum of one more /22 and then that's it.

Closed Thread