Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: About the Web?

  1. #1

    About the Web?

    Have you ever wondered how the creators of the web imagined all this? That practically everyone here ones a website or owns a company or owns a datacentre? Isn't it amazing? that before the internet was just texts and now its images and softwares.

    Now I wonder what is the next good move of the web? Besides cloud servers and ssds in servers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,835
    I think that automatic interaction ("communication") among different web services may be an upcoming major trend. I could be wrong, though!

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Resell Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike - Limestone View Post
    I think that automatic interaction ("communication") among different web services may be an upcoming major trend. I could be wrong, though!

    -mike
    it already is. the 'ping' thing in between wordpress blogs, feeds, this that. people dont use feeds much tho.

    but all the other apis and shizz. it already is huge in background.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    499
    Once the machines become self aware we will witness the next evolutionary step of the internet. AKA Skynet.
    GorillaServers Inc. Dedicated Unmetered Servers
    100Mbps / 1Gbps / 10Gbps options available in Los Angeles
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

  5. #5
    We are going to use internet through refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers and every kind of electronic machines. In example: We are going to switch on dishwasher through facebook or our website, and login to our facebook account by using a refrigerator

    I think, next level will be thinking machines. Sooner or later, machines will take control over.
    And other level will be wild-west age. We will be probably using horses. We will not be able to find any oil, water. Perhaps, computers create a new civilization in Mars.

    Peace
    - I am a PHP developer. I'm not a webhosting owner, I have never run a webhosting business before.
    - English is not my primary language.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    "In the future, widespread use of remotely-controlled androids called "surrogates" allow everyone to live in idealized forms from the safety of their homes. A surrogate's operator is protected from harm and feels no pain when their surrogate is damaged". Wikipedia.
    WebTonight.co
    Master Reseller|Reseller|cPanel Shared|Unlimited.
    Softaculous|Fantastico|RVSiteBuilder Pro|Free R1Soft Backups.
    Powered By CloudLinux servers|RAID10| 99.9% Network Uptime.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by WebTonight View Post
    "In the future, widespread use of remotely-controlled androids called "surrogates" allow everyone to live in idealized forms from the safety of their homes. A surrogate's operator is protected from harm and feels no pain when their surrogate is damaged". Wikipedia.
    Isn't that a movie? If that happens then we are truly lost. That is no way to live. You wouldn't get to experience anything. Pain and fear are necessary things, and they teach us invaluable lessons. If we're sheltered from all these things we won't develop into well rounded human beings.
    Last edited by GorillaServers; 04-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    GorillaServers Inc. Dedicated Unmetered Servers
    100Mbps / 1Gbps / 10Gbps options available in Los Angeles
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    499
    Delete me. Double post.
    Last edited by GorillaServers; 04-24-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: double post. delete me!
    GorillaServers Inc. Dedicated Unmetered Servers
    100Mbps / 1Gbps / 10Gbps options available in Los Angeles
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

  9. #9
    I used to always wondered how do we see text flies as images and now I know so don't answer that. If you think about it over the whole picture the web came so far now it is a free world that you, yourself can make and mold. I always feel like a 4 year old kid thinking like that because we still have more to create and find out.

    @Mike Isn't that content grabbing?

    @ Paraiba I think LG has the internet based washing machine. I think I saw one at bestbuy with the nice tag of 1,999.

    Machines taking over makes me think of Mass Effect 3 for some odd reason. (Any gamers out there?)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by g4eDoomday View Post
    Have you ever wondered how the creators of the web imagined all this? That practically everyone here ones a website or owns a company or owns a datacentre? Isn't it amazing? that before the internet was just texts and now its images and softwares.

    Now I wonder what is the next good move of the web? Besides cloud servers and ssds in servers.
    Some one better call the Pentagon!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriesN View Post
    Some one better call the Pentagon!
    Like they gonna have better web-tech than us? (I Have no idea who controls the web. I know ICANN controls the domains and AIDN[misspell] controls IP)But we should call <insertwebcontrolorg> for the newer things.

    ----
    I'm still semi-clueless how cloud is better than vps for dedi.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by g4eDoomday View Post
    Like they gonna have better web-tech than us? (I Have no idea who controls the web. I know ICANN controls the domains and AIDN[misspell] controls IP)But we should call <insertwebcontrolorg> for the newer things.

    ----
    I'm still semi-clueless how cloud is better than vps for dedi.
    Internet was invented by pentagon scientists.
    A true cloud is better then regular vps/dedi cause:
    *Multiple location
    *auto failover
    Plus more.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriesN View Post
    Internet was invented by pentagon scientists.
    A true cloud is better then regular vps/dedi cause:
    *Multiple location
    *auto failover
    Plus more.
    But now I'm pretty sure no one organization controls the web.
    Didn't CERN create the web?

    Cost wise I've noticed cloud servers cost about 1.5x more than dedi and about 3x more than a vps with less power/performance. So pretty much cloud also technically can have a unlimited harddisk.

    Cloud is a semi new thing for me. When I got into website owning there was 3 options shared, vps, and dedi.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    3,585
    No cloud can not have unlimited disk. Your resource is still shared with multiple physical server.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriesN View Post
    No cloud can not have unlimited disk. Your resource is still shared with multiple physical server.
    But if you can non stop add more servers to the cloud (I know by that time you'll have a black hole in your wallet) couldn't that count as unlimited.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    3,585
    It is grow as you go but there will still be a limit. Well you can get so much for 20$.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    1,289
    I don't think the founders of the web imagined this, no. The web was developed in and for academical world. Then it got commercialised and then it became what we got now. I doubt anyone predicted this. I also think the founders would be very sad about what it has become. Because we stray away more and more from the educational goal. I doubt the founders of the web wanted it to be filled with filth such as porn, gambling sites, hate speech, ... That sports clubs, bands, organisations, companies and even sincere people can present themselves to the world is good, but we need a more effective way to keep the web clean.

    I think the internet is a fantastic invention ; at the same time I understand equally why Fidel Castro called it the disease of the 20th century. The web itself is great, the way a minority of people use it however ...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
    I don't think the founders of the web imagined this, no. The web was developed in and for academical world. Then it got commercialised and then it became what we got now. I doubt anyone predicted this. I also think the founders would be very sad about what it has become. Because we stray away more and more from the educational goal. I doubt the founders of the web wanted it to be filled with filth such as porn, gambling sites, hate speech, ... That sports clubs, bands, organisations, companies and even sincere people can present themselves to the world is good, but we need a more effective way to keep the web clean.

    I think the internet is a fantastic invention ; at the same time I understand equally why Fidel Castro called it the disease of the 20th century. The web itself is great, the way a minority of people use it however ...
    it is not that simple.

    internet has also disseminated information the private interest controlled info/news outfits like publishers, news channels were unwilling to disseminate. if it wasnt for internet, i would never have learned it was kennedy who initiated the most brutal military coups and repressive terrorism phase in south america, for example.

    and this new culture which is developing around the internet, culminating in the pirate party in germany. it is the first major manifestation of the new culture. and that culture is universal.

    fidel castro's problem is, private interests and their government allies are using internet to propagate their interests into countries which they werent able to control due to regime difference.

    internet, however, has become way bigger than anything else, and now is totally taking over, effecting a people's revolution in perspective, culture and mindset all around the world.

    that is why the private interests in especially usa and uk are reacting with numerous laws to censor or cripple it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    1,289
    Well, the web is not a universal stronghold as yet. China for example succeeds very well in censoring it (The Big Chinese Firewall), Saudi Arabia and Iran to some extent, North Korea has just shut the internet off intirely. It will be a little longer before the web really is universally of big influence.

    All I am saying is: the initial target of the web was academical. Not commercial. So I doubt the ones who created it will be happy with what it has become. For sure the positives outnumber the negatives though, although I can see to some extent why some people have a big problem with those negatives. I mean, I doubt anyone can consider distribution of illegal porn a positive. Without the web this happened too, but now it happens in a way it is becoming hard to stop. Still, the positive aspects outnumber the negatives, but I can still understand those who don't get overall enthousiast about the direction the web is going and its impact on society. It's a good invention, a great one even, but the coin still has a flip side even if the negatives are relatively low in numbers.

  20. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Web Hosting & Web Design Business Setup - Web Seminar
    By deepak_k_rana in forum Systems Management Offers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM
  2. Web Hosting & Web Design Business Setup - Web Seminar
    By deepak_k_rana in forum Employment / Job Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 03:37 AM
  4. Web Services, Web Directory, Articles, Web Hosting, Blog, $300-$400 per month!!!
    By hitboy in forum Domain Name with Web Site Offers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 02:39 AM
  5. Established Web Host and Web Design Web Site for Sale
    By calande in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 01:06 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •