hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : Managed or UnManaged with outsourced vps managment

Forum Jump

Managed or UnManaged with outsourced vps managment

Reply Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Managed or UnManaged with outsourced vps managment

Hello,

Since few hours and I am reading a lot of reviews and feedback for various hosting types and feedback of a lot of hosting providers.

I know that I posted two topics earlier today but I am really have a new point of view now.

Please I've this options now, so please help to make up my mind.

- I am new to Linux and will not be able to do anything in my own but all I can do is follow a read me file.

- I've found most famous managed vps according to feedback and reviews in the forum is KnownHost and JaguarePC, but really can not make up my mind with which one I should go for especially that JaguarePC offer double the features with a low price; so I can not make up my mind. (please see details)

- Last option is to get un managed VPS from Rocket VPS and get an outsourced management service from something like Platinum Server Management, but I will not get a monthly subscription with Platinum Server Management, but just in the 1st month to do the VPS setup and add the websites to VPS and make sure everything is well secured and then each 6 month to rejoin for a month to check things with vps. Or to join in case there is any problem with the VPS.

This is what I've in my mind so far, so please advise me what shall I do? as I think experience equal a lot of time and effort saving and money.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Your best bet is to get management that comes with the server. This is fewer companies you have to deal with. If there's something wrong on the network or on the node, the host will be able to fix it rather than a management company who would just report it to the host. This also decreases the response time because youre not waiting on two companies to reply, just one.

I hope this clarifies a reasonable approach to this subject.

Old
Disabled

Management is key if you are not fully able to use SSH unless you are running a Windows VPS.

Sponsored Links
Old
Private Citizen

I've worked with KnownHost before, they are pretty easy to work with. WiredTree is also another company that specializes in managed VPS.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well OP,

I learned that if you want something to be good, you have to do it yourself. There are a few host that advertise managed, proactive or reactive. In my experience they are none. You ask for a secure server and what you get is php 5.2 and a lot of warning in CSF. And then despite if it is managed or not, you spend the same 4 to 5 hours hardening the server, that would have spent with an unmanaged.

Learn how to harden the server, read a few tutorials. Go unmanaged. When I read managed I expect the server to be with the latest updates, latest php, 0 warnings, firewall with best configuration, best optimization and proactive monitoring. But that doesn't exist .

Cheap managed servers or vps are false.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson View Post
Your best bet is to get management that comes with the server. This is fewer companies you have to deal with. If there's something wrong on the network or on the node, the host will be able to fix it rather than a management company who would just report it to the host. This also decreases the response time because youre not waiting on two companies to reply, just one.

I hope this clarifies a reasonable approach to this subject.
Yes one is better then two.
Yes It helped, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosterBin-Joe View Post
Management is key if you are not fully able to use SSH unless you are running a Windows VPS.
No, it is a linux based hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
I've worked with KnownHost before, they are pretty easy to work with. WiredTree is also another company that specializes in managed VPS.
I did read a lot of reviews about WiredTree yet, but it is more expensive then Knownhost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
Well OP,

I learned that if you want something to be good, you have to do it yourself. There are a few host that advertise managed, proactive or reactive. In my experience they are none.
You mean even those I've listed above or you talk in general? as I mentioned knownhost, juguarpc, and another member thankfully mentioned wiredtree?

Quote:

You ask for a secure server and what you get is php 5.2 and a lot of warning in CSF. And then despite if it is managed or not, you spend the same 4 to 5 hours hardening the server, that would have spent with an unmanaged.
This is the reason I thought about have a one time fees to be paid for a management service, as I keep trying on various irc channels and various tutorials but all time I can not complete it (honestly I'd love if I can do it), as I believe as you said that if you want to make thing to do it yourself.
Quote:
Learn how to harden the server, read a few tutorials. Go unmanaged. When I read managed I expect the server to be with the latest updates, latest php, 0 warnings, firewall with best configuration, best optimization and proactive monitoring. But that doesn't exist .

Cheap managed servers or vps are false.
If the server harden is the done the right and correctly, will it be secured enough or still hackable?

Note: Please why no one feeded me back about JaguarPC mentioned above?

Thanks a lot and too much appreciated

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Learn how to harden the server, read a few tutorials. Go unmanaged.
I am thinking about browsing the details of harden the ssh server details mentioned by various companies and then trying to do it one by one.

Does this makes any sense?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

So using recommended linux distribution (centos 6) with cpanel is the key?

But is it practical to really be in my own? I do not know linux.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yes, indeed. Cpanel with centos will make things more more easier. You almost will not have to use SSH. Get that combo is a must.

Old
Litespeed Powered

I would also recommend futurehosting - I believe they also provide managed VPS plans. Have a search on here for reviews.

Old
WHT Content Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Host View Post
I would also recommend futurehosting - I believe they also provide managed VPS plans. Have a search on here for reviews.
I could also recommend taking a look there and Big Brain Host.

www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
I could also recommend taking a look there and Big Brain Host.
I would also recommend and +1 for Big Brain Host.

I currently have it with them and if you are new to linux then, these guys are to go for.

Also, if you are motivated to do things on your own and can't trust yourself then, Big Brain Host will also tell you what to do step-by-step. This way you can learn a lot of things and if you decide on unmanaged later on, you have the experience

** If my reply is violating the forums rules, please edit it!

Old
Web Hosting Guru

I agree with the majority of the people here. Go with a managed VPS. Dont get one that is unmanaged and then buy a management plan, two many points of failure. Though I have no experience with either JaguarPC or KnownHost I know that JPC has been in the industry for quite some time, so even though they have "better bang for the buck" they are not an overnight/kiddie host. Good luck with your VPS! Do post back your decision and a review.