Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753

    What's wrong with this banner?

    Hello. For marketers, can you tell me what's wrong with this banner? (please see attached file). I have run a promo using this banner for one month and I did not get any positive result. I had 8,776 impressions and only 35 click-troughs. What seems to be the problem. Be honest, be frank and be brutal if you may.

    Thank you.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mascot special_Imagodev.gif  
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,703
    It's difficult to say, they ad looks fine, it's a bit fast in that it took me a couple of attempts to catch the coupon code.

    Was the ad only placed on one site and was it in different locations on that site?
    Looking for a cheap VPS? Check out Lowendtalk and Lowendbox

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    103
    Banner looks good and very interesting.

    Maybe people in the site you are advertising on were just not too interested with mascots?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Middle Dearth
    Posts
    21,055
    I hope these suggestions make sense for you. They're just my opinions about what I feel isn't quite right or might help improve it.
    • It runs too fast; you need to give viewers more time to take in what it's saying, especially when it shows the coupon.
    • It could probably benefit from a few more frames in the animation also, to make the transitions a bit more smooth.
    • In addition, the company name is semi-transparent/gray, but the message is a very strong black and kind of large, so it looks added on instead of being part of the flow of the ad. I'd consider making the text a little less black, a slightly different and less "blocky" font (hand drawn looking, slowly changing to that one might be interesting), and a little smaller.
    • The colored thumbtacks at the side are distracting, and the shadows are odd on them, not all following the same directionality. They probably shouldn't be just three colors, but either all one, two "pairs" or all different, and toned down some so they aren't drawing attention away from the ad itself.
    • The background might have benefited from having less clean edges and possibly a a bit more "wrinkling" to look more like used paper, which is what I think you might have been going for. It looks oddly perfect at the edge for something that's supposed to be papery. It needs something to give it "dimension", I feel.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  5. #5
    It is hard to read complete text or catch the coupon bcoz banner is too fast!
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,005
    Main thing is too quick as people suggested.

    Perhaps something with some different mascot examples, if the one you have doesn't appeal to people, the probably wont click through.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753
    Thank you for the comment. The ad was placed in the forum side bar (upper right corner). The site is a webmaster's forum. It is only placed in that location with other banners. There were 4 rotating banners and one was ours.

    Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
    It's difficult to say, they ad looks fine, it's a bit fast in that it took me a couple of attempts to catch the coupon code.

    Was the ad only placed on one site and was it in different locations on that site?
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753
    Might be true. I will have to re-assess this one. Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by gvirtucio View Post
    Banner looks good and very interesting.

    Maybe people in the site you are advertising on were just not too interested with mascots?
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753
    Thank you for these insights. I will review these and try to make necessary changes and see what happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I hope these suggestions make sense for you. They're just my opinions about what I feel isn't quite right or might help improve it.
    • It runs too fast; you need to give viewers more time to take in what it's saying, especially when it shows the coupon.
    • It could probably benefit from a few more frames in the animation also, to make the transitions a bit more smooth.
    • In addition, the company name is semi-transparent/gray, but the message is a very strong black and kind of large, so it looks added on instead of being part of the flow of the ad. I'd consider making the text a little less black, a slightly different and less "blocky" font (hand drawn looking, slowly changing to that one might be interesting), and a little smaller.
    • The colored thumbtacks at the side are distracting, and the shadows are odd on them, not all following the same directionality. They probably shouldn't be just three colors, but either all one, two "pairs" or all different, and toned down some so they aren't drawing attention away from the ad itself.
    • The background might have benefited from having less clean edges and possibly a a bit more "wrinkling" to look more like used paper, which is what I think you might have been going for. It looks oddly perfect at the edge for something that's supposed to be papery. It needs something to give it "dimension", I feel.
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will consider this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Main thing is too quick as people suggested.

    Perhaps something with some different mascot examples, if the one you have doesn't appeal to people, the probably wont click through.
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    753
    Ok. Thank you so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost Hosting View Post
    It is hard to read complete text or catch the coupon bcoz banner is too fast!
    Engr. Allan S. Hugo, Business Owner, Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency
    Brand identity design - logo, graphics, website for a solid brand and connected business
    We help entrepreneurs establish online branding.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    123
    Not sure if you're still looking for feedback, but personally, the bold black text just seemed to be out of place with the rest of the banner. Could you not have it in the same shade and font as your logo?

    I know that everyone says banners should be attention grabbing, but a little more subtlety will add a lot more professionalism, and as I'm sure you're not offering a bargain-basement end product, you'll want to give a more professional image that inspires confidence and trust in buyers, especially if they're paying for - and getting - a premium product.

    Hope that's helpful
    Exit3 Creative - UK Based Web Development, Graphic Design & Brand Identity
    Extensive Portfolio | Experienced Team | Competitive Rates | Fully UK Based
    RAR Accredited Agency | Designers Accord Members | UKWDA Accredited Agency
    UK: 0141 846 0020 | US: 866-338-EXIT | AU: 03-9013-EXIT | Check Out Our Portfolio

  13. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. pacificrack.com, am i wrong or are they wrong?
    By jeev in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
  2. What is wrong now wrong with my site? I get an error when I try to access my site!
    By nicheserver in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
  3. What's wrong with this script's logic/or what's wrong with mark ... (part duex)
    By Tim Greer in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2002, 05:57 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •