hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Community Reviews : Web Site Reviews : What's wrong with this banner?

Forum Jump

What's wrong with this banner?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Site Reviews Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

What's wrong with this banner?

Hello. For marketers, can you tell me what's wrong with this banner? (please see attached file). I have run a promo using this banner for one month and I did not get any positive result. I had 8,776 impressions and only 35 click-troughs. What seems to be the problem. Be honest, be frank and be brutal if you may.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
mascot special_Imagodev.gif  

Ganah -- Turning the waves of internet services (TM)

Sponsored Links
Old
Seriously...

It's difficult to say, they ad looks fine, it's a bit fast in that it took me a couple of attempts to catch the coupon code.

Was the ad only placed on one site and was it in different locations on that site?

Old
WHT Addict

Banner looks good and very interesting.

Maybe people in the site you are advertising on were just not too interested with mascots?

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Leader

I hope these suggestions make sense for you. They're just my opinions about what I feel isn't quite right or might help improve it.
  • It runs too fast; you need to give viewers more time to take in what it's saying, especially when it shows the coupon.
  • It could probably benefit from a few more frames in the animation also, to make the transitions a bit more smooth.
  • In addition, the company name is semi-transparent/gray, but the message is a very strong black and kind of large, so it looks added on instead of being part of the flow of the ad. I'd consider making the text a little less black, a slightly different and less "blocky" font (hand drawn looking, slowly changing to that one might be interesting), and a little smaller.
  • The colored thumbtacks at the side are distracting, and the shadows are odd on them, not all following the same directionality. They probably shouldn't be just three colors, but either all one, two "pairs" or all different, and toned down some so they aren't drawing attention away from the ad itself.
  • The background might have benefited from having less clean edges and possibly a a bit more "wrinkling" to look more like used paper, which is what I think you might have been going for. It looks oddly perfect at the edge for something that's supposed to be papery. It needs something to give it "dimension", I feel.

Old
Web Hosting Master

It is hard to read complete text or catch the coupon bcoz banner is too fast!

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

Main thing is too quick as people suggested.

Perhaps something with some different mascot examples, if the one you have doesn't appeal to people, the probably wont click through.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thank you for the comment. The ad was placed in the forum side bar (upper right corner). The site is a webmaster's forum. It is only placed in that location with other banners. There were 4 rotating banners and one was ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
It's difficult to say, they ad looks fine, it's a bit fast in that it took me a couple of attempts to catch the coupon code.

Was the ad only placed on one site and was it in different locations on that site?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Might be true. I will have to re-assess this one. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvirtucio View Post
Banner looks good and very interesting.

Maybe people in the site you are advertising on were just not too interested with mascots?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thank you for these insights. I will review these and try to make necessary changes and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I hope these suggestions make sense for you. They're just my opinions about what I feel isn't quite right or might help improve it.
  • It runs too fast; you need to give viewers more time to take in what it's saying, especially when it shows the coupon.
  • It could probably benefit from a few more frames in the animation also, to make the transitions a bit more smooth.
  • In addition, the company name is semi-transparent/gray, but the message is a very strong black and kind of large, so it looks added on instead of being part of the flow of the ad. I'd consider making the text a little less black, a slightly different and less "blocky" font (hand drawn looking, slowly changing to that one might be interesting), and a little smaller.
  • The colored thumbtacks at the side are distracting, and the shadows are odd on them, not all following the same directionality. They probably shouldn't be just three colors, but either all one, two "pairs" or all different, and toned down some so they aren't drawing attention away from the ad itself.
  • The background might have benefited from having less clean edges and possibly a a bit more "wrinkling" to look more like used paper, which is what I think you might have been going for. It looks oddly perfect at the edge for something that's supposed to be papery. It needs something to give it "dimension", I feel.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thank you for your suggestion. I will consider this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loon View Post
Main thing is too quick as people suggested.

Perhaps something with some different mascot examples, if the one you have doesn't appeal to people, the probably wont click through.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Ok. Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askforhost Hosting View Post
It is hard to read complete text or catch the coupon bcoz banner is too fast!

Old
WHT Addict

Not sure if you're still looking for feedback, but personally, the bold black text just seemed to be out of place with the rest of the banner. Could you not have it in the same shade and font as your logo?

I know that everyone says banners should be attention grabbing, but a little more subtlety will add a lot more professionalism, and as I'm sure you're not offering a bargain-basement end product, you'll want to give a more professional image that inspires confidence and trust in buyers, especially if they're paying for - and getting - a premium product.

Hope that's helpful

UK: 0141 846 0020 | US: 866-338-EXIT | AU: 03-9013-EXIT | Check Out Our Portfolio