My database is 3+ gigs, I have 1.5 million posts, nearly 700k members, and my database seems to not be handling too well (I've done optimizations on the server and am running LiteSpeed), So I feel it is time to get a 2nd server added which will run my database.
What server hardware/software is most important for the 2nd server which will only be running my database?
1. Is high amount of ram important? Roughly how much would you recommend?
2. Are the hard drives important? Are these okay WD Raptor 10k drives + hardware raid 1? or Should I get SSD hard drives for this server?
3. Will Raid make a difference for this database server? With a tight budget in mind what would be a good raid set up for money wise.
4. Is the quality of the server the most important? Would this do the job good Dell 1U x3220 Quad-core CPU ? OR should I be looking at getting something else?
5. What software would you recommend be installed on this database server to make the most of it.