hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Does using whois alert domain squatters?

Forum Jump

Does using whois alert domain squatters?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Does using whois alert domain squatters?

I was wondering if I check on a domain that is expiring does it bring up some kind of flag somewhere that is going to make it more likely for the domain to be snatched up for resale. I was thinking of writing a script that will check the whois database every hour or so & alert me when the domain status changes. Is that a useless idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM

The idea is great. I have heard that Godaddy uses manual sigs to see which domains are of value. But I doubt this would be the case in automated scripts as quite a few exist like the ones you have mentioned.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightfield View Post
I was wondering if I check on a domain that is expiring does it bring up some kind of flag somewhere that is going to make it more likely for the domain to be snatched up for resale. I was thinking of writing a script that will check the whois database every hour or so & alert me when the domain status changes. Is that a useless idea?
Some whois services will block the requesting IP for doing that. Some only allow X number of lookups per day per IP.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Community Liaison 2.0

I have no proof, but I would be very surprised if certain (not all) domain lookup and whois tools do not monitor common requests, and backorder or register a domain if it appears of interest.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loon View Post
I have no proof, but I would be very surprised if certain (not all) domain lookup and whois tools do not monitor common requests, and backorder or register a domain if it appears of interest.
I'm guessing that would be the case too.
I do wonder though if I used a script, how often the whois database would allow the same request from a single ip address. I've already tried it on a domain that I already own with no problems but only let it run about ten times for an hour. As far as I could tell I didn't get any blocks.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightfield View Post
I'm guessing that would be the case too.
I do wonder though if I used a script, how often the whois database would allow the same request from a single ip address. I've already tried it on a domain that I already own with no problems but only let it run about ten times for an hour. As far as I could tell I didn't get any blocks.
Loon is right, Most registrars only allow a certain amount of queries against their whois database per a given amount of time. The intention of a registrars whois database is usually for one off domain look-ups, not batch processing. If you are only checking one domain name, once per hour, this might not be an issue though.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsguardbg View Post
The idea is great. I have heard that Godaddy uses manual sigs to see which domains are of value. But I doubt this would be the case in automated scripts as quite a few exist like the ones you have mentioned.
By the way here's the script I wrote if anyone using Linux wants to try it.
I don't know if Windows can access the whois database using the command line
but if they do it could easily be changed to a DOS batch file.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# This script will search the whois database for the expiringdomain.com that is already in the "Status: redemptionPeriod".
# It will alert me when the Status changes by starting gedit & opening up the domain_warning file.
# It will insert the time it recognizes any change in the domain's Status into the file for reference.  
##
clear 
y=`whois expiringdomain.com | grep Status | awk '{print $2}'` 
x="redemptionPeriod"
if test $y != $x;
 then
date >> ~/domain_warning
env DISPLAY=:0 gedit ~/domain_warning
fi
exit
I put it as a cron job that runs every five minutes & then every hour to check & it works fine.
I'm just not sure if I want to use it any more because it might alert someone that I'm interested in the domain & I may not be at my computer when the change happens.

Last edited by rightfield; 04-13-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 AM

In my case...Godaddy has usurped all the domain names I was searching. The who is says Godaddy owns it and the update date on the domain name is 17-Apr-2012 for one month expiring 17-May-2012

Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydeal View Post
In my case...Godaddy has usurped all the domain names I was searching. The who is says Godaddy owns it and the update date on the domain name is 17-Apr-2012 for one month expiring 17-May-2012
I've had a similar experience with said registrar although I'm sure they'll deny it, it's not in their interest to admit such behaviour of course. A lot of their dropping domains seem to get picked up by a certain individual with a Hong Kong address too, instead of dropping to go into the 'expired domain pool' but I'm sure that's something else they'd deny having a hand in. Suspicious though imo.

But back to the topic, I use a script from sams whois to check domains, very useful to have and easy to set up, just an extra page on a website and you have your own who is checker. JD

I do find though that the domains becoming available seems to happen at about the same time of the day so there must be a specific hour for them to be deleted from the main database, might be worth just checking availability at the right time instead of every five mins all day. As far as I can tell it's around mid-day, I just have to figure out the US time zone it happens in now, they do get snapped up pretty quickly after that, so it's easy to miss the one you want if you're not on the ball.

My honeypot caught a harvester, can yours?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Hi spicydeal,

Go Daddy does not register domain names that have been searched by our customers. Domain names that are expiring go through the regular expiration cycle, and many times are put up for auction prior to returning to the registry.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 PM

If a domain expires, the owner still has some grace period before the domain is turned over to the public. I believe there are websites that list recently available domains but you can always Google it. Those websites will give you a lot more helpful information plus you can use search there.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I am a skeptic. Please a show a screen shot or post WHOIS text with GoDdaddy as the owner. You can blank out the name or part of the name if you don't want to reveal that.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Nah. All of that paranoia is a myth. I've never had an issue with that and I reg. expiring domains DAILY as part of a research/registration service I perform for a reseller company.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM

I've been visiting the site for a while, but I had to sign up to reply to this thread.

I am absolutely sure that domain squatters monitor registrars or whois in some way.

I searched for a domain name back in March using namecheap. It was available. I don't know if it was ever registered before that point, but I am guessing not. I was a little unsure if I was going to create the site so I figured I would come back and purchase it when I decided.

Well, I decided I wanted to do it, so I went back to namecheap to register it, and don't you know it, but hugedomains registered the name I searched the next day after I searched it.

I am not near naive enough to believe it is a co-incidence that a known squatter registered the name I searched for the day after I searched for it. I am not paying over $1000 for a domain I could have bought for $10 so this is my loss and my lesson learned.

Let this be a warning to anyone who is going to search for a name. Be prepared to buy it on the spot or don't search for it until you know you want it.

I don't know if godaddy does it. I have no experience with them, but I can say that hugedomains does it. I am of the opinion that this is nothing more than dirty business, but I admit that I likely feel that way because I was bitten by a bottom feeder. Never again.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM

That's funny because Hugedomains got my site too that I was waiting for the day it became available. I also have no doubt that searching the whois database alerts these squatters that a domain is desired. They probably have a deal with the Registrars that lets them monitor the whois database.
Well at least they're not stealing from the blind. It never ceases to amaze me how low people will go when it comes to money.