hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : VOIP etc : Opensource PBX

Forum Jump

Opensource PBX

Reply Post New Thread In VOIP etc Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Opensource PBX

Hello,

I was wondering what open source PBX you use and how have you found it for setup, and reliability in a working senario?

Elastix
PBXinAFlash
FreePBX Distro
Asterisx Now

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Take a look at TrixBox. It is an open source operating system with Asterisk preinstalled. It's worth a look.

Old
WHT Addict

Hello,

Trixbox is not on the radar to be honest as its not been updated in a while so I would rather stay away from it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

I've been using FreePBX distro for a year and love it. I use it with 4 x SPA-3102.

Before and during this time I've tried using PIAF. I didn't like the update script. It runs for a long time and I have no idea what it is doing. I also feel like I am installing more than I need.

The FreePBX distro setup is simple and fast. Install the addons you need after. Updates are a cinch through the web interface or yum and haven't given me any problems.

I tried Asterisk Now but don't remember why I didn't use it.

Old
Private Citizen

Have you looked at 3CX, granted it's not open source. But it does have a free version with plenty of features.

http://www.3cx.com/

I've personally seen two deployments. The one we use for ApertureHost and ColocateUSA and about a 150 handset deployment for a client. Both are more or less rock solid.

It's at least work taking a look at, unless you're dead set on open source. But if you need to quickly deploy a PBX, this is one way to do it. I've tested it with iCall and nexVortex for SIP trunks.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Hi

Try - http://pbxinaflash.net/ - as its free and works very well, install and forget.

Steer away from trixbox, unless you want it to be hacked..

Thanks

Old
Web Hosting Master

I find a manual installation of Asterisk 1.8 with FreePBX to be the best option. You can throw it on a VPS with Linode very quickly, for instance, which is what I do. It's also VERY lightweight when you do a manual installation since you only install the packages you need.

I have everything from the lower end Cisco phones to the SPA525G, to Snom 870's, to Grandstream GXV3175 phones. Everything works flawlessly using Asterisk. Although, I do have gripes with many of the phones. I always end up going back to Cisco...

Simply put: Server admin, programmer, concert lighting dude.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtme View Post
Hi

Try - http://pbxinaflash.net/ - as its free and works very well, install and forget.

Steer away from trixbox, unless you want it to be hacked..

Thanks
I agree, pbx-in-a-flash is a great place to start. Security focused with a helpful and active forum.

Old
Randy

I was going to say, but it's already mentioned, steer away from TrixBox. It is poorly maintained and not updated in quite some time.

Old

Opensource PBX

I have used several of them and in the end they are all GUIs that sit on Asterisk. That being said Trixbox is your worst option. Forked version of FreePBX, older version of *, limited support especially in the community version. Elastix is similar to Trixbox with the issues that it runs very heavy (resource intensive) and many of the docs/forums are in spanish. PIAF in a similar manner to Tbox and Elastix also relies on FreePBX as the * management and ties in versions of FOP and other components but if you follow the forums the writers have been openly quarreling with the FreePBX guys so not too sure where they go next...Best bet is to go with just straight FreePBX and even though it is more work research and individually add other packages such as A2billing, FOP, MeetMe, etc.

Also check out these guys...Pretty cool product and concept based off of FreeSwitch instead of * but they scale to thousands of phones. Search 2600hz

Old
Web Hosting Master

I would steer clear for asterisk, and instead use Freeswith. The best GUI out there for freeswitch is currently FusionPBX, but 2600Hz is a commercial solution.

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC23 View Post
I would steer clear for asterisk, and instead use Freeswith. The best GUI out there for freeswitch is currently FusionPBX, but 2600Hz is a commercial solution.
Hello,

What makes you say to steer clear of asterisk?

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
I would steer clear for asterisk, and instead use Freeswith.
Asterisk works fine for us on our PBX deployments. Although I personally prefer freeswitch just because it doesn't have any of the strange quirks that asterisk does in OpenVZ. To the OP: I'd say Asterisk with FreePBX as a GUI would be a solid choice.

Web Development | IT Consulting | Hosted Services | Mobile Apps

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot_txt View Post
Asterisk works fine for us on our PBX deployments. Although I personally prefer freeswitch just because it doesn't have any of the strange quirks that asterisk does in OpenVZ. To the OP: I'd say Asterisk with FreePBX as a GUI would be a solid choice.
The hypervisor based virtualization (Xen/KVM) outperforms OpenVZ containers. Personally I won't recommend OpenVZ cause of its lack of any major recent improvements.
Asterisks deployments I did on Xen run without any issues.

Old

Asterisk Pbx the clean version

Secure
Stable
No more apps unwanted
And custim ur needa