NIC vs Integrated Desktop Motherboard

I have a MSI desktop motherboard in a 1U case with a gigabit chipset. I've had a few problems with it like the connection going out when you download a file from it (flow control and green mode was disabled along with TCP offload) but after changing a few settings it was fine.

Would getting an Intel NIC gigabit adapter change anything? If it reduced latency or increased speed, I would consider that a profitable benefit. I know that NICs are not necessary for server motherboards because they are top-quality to begin with but I am doubtful of desktop motherboard network chipsets.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking at this NIC.

If the onboard NIC is a Realtek or Broadcom chipset, an Intel NIC will hold up to much more abuse under heavy loads. Generally onboard NIC's are not very good unless they are a real Intel chipset.

I'd also make sure your BIOS is set to optimized vs. performance and make sure everything is flashed current. As well as latest drivers if available.

Get a server grade Intel NIC, the overall performance will be better.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC >> 100% Uptime SLA, Premium Network, 24/7 On-Site Techs
    DDoS Protection INCLUDED with every server! Increase your uptime.
    Premium Miami and New York City Metro Data Centers with Self & Fully Managed Servers

The onboard is a Realtek chipset. So I guess I will be getting the Intel NIC. Thanks.

Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    If the driver is good you won't have issues with most 'cheap' NICs below the 500Mbps mark. It's really a crap shoot though, unless you've done testing and know the limits of the particular chipset and OS/driver combination. Generally I stick with Intel for the insurance that it's going to work well regardless of OS/driver, not so much for the performance potential.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

6. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!