hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : NIC vs Integrated Desktop Motherboard

Forum Jump

NIC vs Integrated Desktop Motherboard

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM

NIC vs Integrated Desktop Motherboard

Hi,

I have a MSI desktop motherboard in a 1U case with a gigabit chipset. I've had a few problems with it like the connection going out when you download a file from it (flow control and green mode was disabled along with TCP offload) but after changing a few settings it was fine.

Would getting an Intel NIC gigabit adapter change anything? If it reduced latency or increased speed, I would consider that a profitable benefit. I know that NICs are not necessary for server motherboards because they are top-quality to begin with but I am doubtful of desktop motherboard network chipsets.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking at this NIC.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Private Citizen

If the onboard NIC is a Realtek or Broadcom chipset, an Intel NIC will hold up to much more abuse under heavy loads. Generally onboard NIC's are not very good unless they are a real Intel chipset.

I'd also make sure your BIOS is set to optimized vs. performance and make sure everything is flashed current. As well as latest drivers if available.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

Get a server grade Intel NIC, the overall performance will be better.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM

The onboard is a Realtek chipset. So I guess I will be getting the Intel NIC. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Randy

If the driver is good you won't have issues with most 'cheap' NICs below the 500Mbps mark. It's really a crap shoot though, unless you've done testing and know the limits of the particular chipset and OS/driver combination. Generally I stick with Intel for the insurance that it's going to work well regardless of OS/driver, not so much for the performance potential.