hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Cloud computing services technology table comparisions

Forum Jump

Cloud computing services technology table comparisions

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

I think you mean to ask is a comparison chart for IaaS?

Don't forget Adaptive Computing, Oracle, Adaptivity, Abiquo.

I also think you should separate IaaS in-house built hosted solution and one licensable. Many out there that say they are an IaaS company actually use another company for their IaaS solution, not one built by themselves.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by viabandwidth View Post
I think you mean to ask is a comparison chart for IaaS?

Don't forget Adaptive Computing, Oracle, Adaptivity, Abiquo.

I also think you should separate IaaS in-house built hosted solution and one licensable. Many out there that say they are an IaaS company actually use another company for their IaaS solution, not one built by themselves.
The idea is to differentiate and give every visitor of this forum for an effective cloud solution. So, with our discussion, how do you explain and compare Adaptive Computing, Oracle, Adaptivity, Abiquo ?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmark View Post
That's a good brief for Godaddy platform. But how does your public cloud work and on which platform is Godaddy VDC based on ?

What technology does Godaddy use at it's background platform ?

Has Godaddy built their own background platform or they license their VMs on public cloud on other technology ?
Go Daddy Cloud Servers (Virtual DataCenter) uses the Xen Hypervisor as its background platform. In conjunction, we use a combination of Citrix's solution and Go Daddy developed code for orchestration. The management interface is a custom infrastructure Go Daddy built.

Sponsored Links
Old
Premium Member

Utter confusion. Thread makes no sense.

OP has as mixed idea on what cloud computing is in the first place.

Appears like you have no idea what a hypervisor software is (Xen, VMware, KVM, etc), what an Orchestrator (OnApp, Abiquo, CloudStack, OpenStack, etc) is and what a service provider is (Terremark, AWS, GoDaddy, etc).

AWS uses Xen (or KVM?). GoDaddy uses Xen ^^. Terremark uses VMware?

Also you cannot compare VMware/Xen to Google App Engine. The hypervisors fall generally in IaaS category while GAE is PaaS.

Have you forgotten Windows Azure?

Old
Web Hosting Master

< I'm confused >

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_GoDaddy View Post
Go Daddy Cloud Servers (Virtual DataCenter) uses the Xen Hypervisor as its background platform. In conjunction, we use a combination of Citrix's solution and Go Daddy developed code for orchestration. The management interface is a custom infrastructure Go Daddy built.
That is good to know how Godaddy works on it's platform of cloud computing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
Utter confusion. Thread makes no sense.

OP has as mixed idea on what cloud computing is in the first place.

Appears like you have no idea what a hypervisor software is (Xen, VMware, KVM, etc), what an Orchestrator (OnApp, Abiquo, CloudStack, OpenStack, etc) is and what a service provider is (Terremark, AWS, GoDaddy, etc).

AWS uses Xen (or KVM?). GoDaddy uses Xen ^^. Terremark uses VMware?

Also you cannot compare VMware/Xen to Google App Engine. The hypervisors fall generally in IaaS category while GAE is PaaS.

Have you forgotten Windows Azure?
This thread is mainly a discussion where cloud computing users do not get confused between the platforms and their background infrastructure. So, if possible, can you please share more on the comparison and if we cannot compare them, how would they be useful for a cloud computing provider ? please let us know and this thread would definitely be more informative to discuss on

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
That is good to know how Godaddy works on it's platform of cloud computing.
Glad I was able to help throw some light on how Go Daddy does it!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
This thread is mainly a discussion where cloud computing users do not get confused between the platforms and their background infrastructure. So, if possible, can you please share more on the comparison and if we cannot compare them, how would they be useful for a cloud computing provider ? please let us know and this thread would definitely be more informative to discuss on
The problem with this thread is that is a mixture of everything when they are all separate parts. There is no logic in the way the information is being presented and therefore this thread will do more harm than good.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I agree with speckl - I don't even follow what's happening here - never mind any kind of clear structure.

If you want to compare clouds (and there are many websites that do a fine job of that already) - you need to at least try to compare like services with like - ie: IAAS, PAAS, etc as a very minimum.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckl View Post
The problem with this thread is that is a mixture of everything when they are all separate parts. There is no logic in the way the information is being presented and therefore this thread will do more harm than good.
So, to get a better idea to our viewers and members of forums :

Known Software

Platform : Xen Hyper-visor

Description : Xen cloud platform is open source server virtualization and cloud computing platform and supports windows and linux network and storage support, management tools, tested installable image which is called XCP Appliance

Platform : VMware

Description : VMware powered cloud platform for server virtualization and cloud comuting.

Platform : Oracle VM

Description : Oracle's server virtualization and management solution

Platform : KVM

Description : KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V)

Known Orchestrators

1. OnApp

2. eNlight

3. Abiquo

4. CloudStack

5. OpenStack

6. Godaddy VDC's

No offence, but is this list much more defined ? or do we need to add more of the known one's. I am sure there are others to add as well and which we should. The idea is to clear the basic confusion of cloud computing and would like if you can really share more information to us that could make us understand if we are in the right form of list of cloud computing. The next idea is the provider's customization of these platform on which they are built on, are they really wise for a customer and cost-effective ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckl View Post
These are the basic confusions of a layman when he actually starts using cloud computing. It's very important for us to clear the confusion. As you read through the posts, you will see many members have misunderstood the concept of this informative thread.

So, rightly few have pointed out and infact today a layman would take a lot longer to understand IAAS and PAAS, but they need to understand their cloud computing provider's infrastructure which most fail to do so. But as we get clearer, we will be able to figure out who is the most known cloud software, orchestrators and the others who are not there in the mixed list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
I agree with speckl - I don't even follow what's happening here - never mind any kind of clear structure.

If you want to compare clouds (and there are many websites that do a fine job of that already) - you need to at least try to compare like services with like - ie: IAAS, PAAS, etc as a very minimum.
Indeed, there are many websites to read about, but don't they provider information which are only related to their platform and which they have utilized.

Cloud computing was basically introduced in any platform for centralization of data storage, network, availability, scalability and reliability.

The idea of this thread is to centralize the data and gather information and to much that every viewer or visitor reads, we learn every day and infact, i am learning much more on cloud on those which i haven't used so far.

Last edited by bodmark; 03-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
So, rightly few have pointed out and infact today a layman would take a lot longer to understand IAAS and PAAS, but they need to understand their cloud computing provider's infrastructure which most fail to do so. But as we get clearer, we will be able to figure out who is the most known cloud software, orchestrators and the others who are not there in the mixed list.
To take a crack at clarifying cloud options for Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS):

PaaS options are the 'shared hosting' cloud solution. With PaaS, the hosting provider takes care of the operating system and the underlying hardware. Providing you with a platform to launch your web applications such as Apache+PHP, Ruby on Rails, or .NET. The end user has no access to the operating system, and the hosting company manages the virtualized servers that deliver that platform you use.

IaaS are the 'dedicated server' cloud solution. These options will generally not allow control the underlying physical hardware on the servers, but would allow you control over items such as the virtual network, the operating system, load balancing, the applications, and the resources (hard drive size and RAM) you assign to the servers in the cloud you build.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_GoDaddy View Post
To take a crack at clarifying cloud options for Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS):

PaaS options are the 'shared hosting' cloud solution. With PaaS, the hosting provider takes care of the operating system and the underlying hardware. Providing you with a platform to launch your web applications such as Apache+PHP, Ruby on Rails, or .NET. The end user has no access to the operating system, and the hosting company manages the virtualized servers that deliver that platform you use.

IaaS are the 'dedicated server' cloud solution. These options will generally not allow control the underlying physical hardware on the servers, but would allow you control over items such as the virtual network, the operating system, load balancing, the applications, and the resources (hard drive size and RAM) you assign to the servers in the cloud you build.
Thanks for sharing the information with us, what do you think about hyper-visor and orchestrators that i mentioned earlier ?

Old
WHT Addict

Citrix Cloudstack is what we are working with and we love it. eNlight Cloud is not a platform it's merely a service provided by Eukhost. I agree this does sound like an advertisement thread.

Old
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the information with us, what do you think about hyper-visor and orchestrators that i mentioned earlier ?
Here: http://www.datacentermap.com/blog/cl...tware-389.html

This is a good list of all the orchestrators that are out there used to provide an IaaS based cloud computing solution, that a provider might use.

Since you mentioned eNlight and GoDaddy on your list, you still need to read up on cloud computing yourself before you attempt clarifying it here.

GoDaddy, eNlight and Amazon utilize software that manages their cloud computing infrastructure (the orchestrator). It doesn't mean you are going to list them under this category since none are available to the general public (even if it costs $). These orchestrators can be simple interfaces that connect to the virtualization software's API (I suspect eNlight cloud) or as complex as GoDaddy's and Amazon's.

Another point: This confusion is what makes profit for those unscrupulous companies. Check out Parallels Virtuozzo, they now have a 'cloud' tag in its name for no apparent reason, but the software has remained the same since even before.

Everyone wants to make money with the 'cloud'

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
So, it's basically heavy to run the VM or how does it work ?
My bad bodmark. XenDesktop is a desktop virtualization and VDI answer delivering a Windows desktop ASAP and on-demand to users anywhere and anytime. It is supposed to provide a pretty cool user experiences while delivering either a single app or an entire desktop securely and straight forward. Nothing like a VNC or RPD, but a true end user desktop platform which is brought to the user via/over the internet.

The program just weighs in at 17.5 gigs and just for you, I am downloading it right now and should have an update in a day or so.

Added pummmffff: I am rocking this install on Windows Server 8 since I live on the "Bleeding Edge".