hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : How accurate are DNS management services?
Reply

Forum Jump

How accurate are DNS management services?

Reply Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
*

How accurate are DNS management services?


Hello everyone,

I would like to know more about the accuracy of DNS management services like DNSmadeaEasy.com (DME). I see that all their plans have a set number of queries. Well, I signed up with DME and created the DNS zone for 1 domain but haven't actually redirected my domain's DNS information to DME. This was in November 2011.

Just now I logged into my DME account and saw query activity for November, December and January was 500-1,000 queries per month. I immediately sent a support ticket to DME to explain this but in the meantime I would like your feedback on this.

Is it normal for DNS management service providers to miscount the number of queries?

Thank you for your input.



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old
Always Ask...Don't Pretend!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPU
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolear View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to know more about the accuracy of DNS management services like DNSmadeaEasy.com (DME). I see that all their plans have a set number of queries. Well, I signed up with DME and created the DNS zone for 1 domain but haven't actually redirected my domain's DNS information to DME. This was in November 2011.

Just now I logged into my DME account and saw query activity for November, December and January was 500-1,000 queries per month. I immediately sent a support ticket to DME to explain this but in the meantime I would like your feedback on this.

Is it normal for DNS management service providers to miscount the number of queries?

Thank you for your input.
I think I have similar issue before about trusting the figures particularly if it has some limits. But most reply that I've got here was..."You need to trust your provider".

But if you think that this is inaccurate, try using other provider for a month or two then compare it. I will recommend Zerigo. Good luck pal

__________________
Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.


  #3  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,109
I asked the exact same question before.
They said that their own system queries itself on multiple nodes to make sure they're working. It counts towards your numbers though. They also said since it's not a big number, you shouldn't worry about it.

Too lazy to dig up the exact support ticket though.

__________________
I'm not a hosting company. I have no sig to spam.

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US
Posts: 71
We use Zerigo for our domains but they aren't accurate at all. Not only are they not accurate, but their tech support is useless. Since 8x8 bought the company, it is being managed streight from California (their HQ used to be in Colorado), and no one gives a damn about it anymore. The last time I contacted them on life chat it was last week asking what kind of 3rd party applications I would be able to use with their DNS REST API, and after keeping me waiting for over half an hour they guys on life chat said that he would have to email me an answer to my question. Well, it's been a week and I still have no clue what 3rd party application we can use with their REST API, how ever we will drop them very soon for the same reason you inquired about: accuracy.
We get very little traffic on our domains being a new hosting company, yet we get about half a million queries counted every month. Our plan covers it, but it's about as far from accurate as it gets. Yes, their DNS service works, it's fast, but that's about it. If you need fast and knowledgeable support, look somewhere else. If you want accuracy, look somewhere else. If I where you, I would give CloudFlare a try, as they are more than just a DNS service. We are currently evaluating them to possibly offer their services to our customers.

I hope this helps
Take care,
Marc


Last edited by HostingBeam; 03-21-2012 at 12:51 AM.
  #5  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toratek View Post
We use Zerigo for our domains but they aren't accurate at all. Not only are they not accurate, but their tech support is useless. Since 8x8 bought the company, it is being managed streight from California (their HQ used to be in Colorado), and no one gives a damn about it anymore. The last time I contacted them on life chat it was last week asking what kind of 3rd party applications I would be able to use with their DNS REST API, and after keeping me waiting for over half an hour they guys on life chat said that he would have to email me an answer to my question. Well, it's been a week and I still have no clue what 3rd party application we can use with their REST API, how ever we will drop them very soon for the same reason you inquired about: accuracy.
We get very little traffic on our domains being a new hosting company, yet we get about half a million queries counted every month. Our plan covers it, but it's about as far from accurate as it gets. Yes, their DNS service works, it's fast, but that's about it. If you need fast and knowledgeable support, look somewhere else. If you want accuracy, look somewhere else. If I where you, I would give CloudFlare a try, as they are more than just a DNS service. We are currently evaluating them to possibly offer their services to our customers.

I hope this helps
Take care,
Marc
with regard to zerigo, that's been my recent experience as well. it bums me out. getting someone to answer any support query quickly has been really hit and miss. sometimes you get someone really fast, sometimes you don't hear back for a week if at all. i'm getting to the point now that i want to move my VPS and DNS services both off zerigo to a provider with support that cares.

that being said, being off by +/- 100-1000 queries has been my experience with most DNS providers i've used. well, at least the ones that meter dns queries and actually tell you how many they've answered. (dyn doesn't show in their panel how many queries they've answered)

  #6  
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US
Posts: 71
While we're at this, can anyone suggest a good GUI front end for BIND? I'm thinking about setting up our own DNS servers for our customers. We're already present in two data centers, so we can have some decent redundancy, and of course, we are planning to expand.

Thank you,
Marc

  #7  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Never use Zerigo.com
They totally ignore support tickets.

I have paid $99 for one year DNS service.

Then i have noticed very strange amount of queries every month. I have been paying $25 every month for extra queries.
Then I moved all my 60+ domains to Amazon Route53 and I was amazed of what i have found. Four of my top domains were still receiving queries to zerigo dns (the same pretty lagre amount). Two weeks passed but the amount of queries was still increasing. That was for sure false billing (I was paying for someone else's queries).
I've just dropped my account.

Never use their service.

  #8  
Old
WHT Content Curator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 4,885
@OP, DME's lowest plan allows 5 million queries. If you're seeing queries between 500 and 1000, you're talking about 0.02%. You're not incurring any extra charges either.

Given the way this works, being accurate to within 0.02% is hardly worth saying anything about to be honest. If it ends up that you incur additional charges...that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toratek View Post
While we're at this, can anyone suggest a good GUI front end for BIND? I'm thinking about setting up our own DNS servers for our customers. We're already present in two data centers, so we can have some decent redundancy, and of course, we are planning to expand.

Thank you,
Marc
While I've never used it myself, take a look at PowerDNS.

__________________
Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
A member of Geeked.io
e: sajan [at] parikh.io | w: sajan.io

  #9  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by borasque View Post
Never use Zerigo.com
They totally ignore support tickets.

I have paid $99 for one year DNS service.

Then i have noticed very strange amount of queries every month. I have been paying $25 every month for extra queries.
Then I moved all my 60+ domains to Amazon Route53 and I was amazed of what i have found. Four of my top domains were still receiving queries to zerigo dns (the same pretty lagre amount). Two weeks passed but the amount of queries was still increasing. That was for sure false billing (I was paying for someone else's queries).
I've just dropped my account.

Never use their service.
fwiw, there are circumstances that could cause them to be answering queries for your domains even after delegating your zones to another provider. in my situation, i stopped using their dns platform and the following month, all of my provisioned domains indicated 0 queries answered by zerigo.

  #10  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolear View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to know more about the accuracy of DNS management services like DNSmadeaEasy.com (DME). I see that all their plans have a set number of queries. Well, I signed up with DME and created the DNS zone for 1 domain but haven't actually redirected my domain's DNS information to DME. This was in November 2011.

Just now I logged into my DME account and saw query activity for November, December and January was 500-1,000 queries per month. I immediately sent a support ticket to DME to explain this but in the meantime I would like your feedback on this.

Is it normal for DNS management service providers to miscount the number of queries?

Thank you for your input.
Been using DME as well for nearly 6 months now for a small fraction of my domains and I am under my quota of 10 million queries/month with avg 800-900K queries/month with peak month at 2.9 million queries in one month. I also use their DNS failover and monitoring so I am sure that contributes to the total DNS queries.

But I don't think there is a way to verify those numbers ? Subscribed to this thread as I would be interested to know if there was a way.

__________________
: CentminMod.com Nginx Menu Installer (Nginx 1.7, PHP-FPM 5.3-5.6 & 7.0-dev, MariaDB 5.5/10) for CentOS
: Centmin Mod Community Forums


  #11  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0unds View Post
fwiw, there are circumstances that could cause them to be answering queries for your domains even after delegating your zones to another provider. in my situation, i stopped using their dns platform and the following month, all of my provisioned domains indicated 0 queries answered by zerigo.
Even if i have changed provider one month ago? (all dns traces are confirming that new nameservers are in use)

Those 4 domains were generating more than 50% of all my queries.
Although these domains have very different traffic, they all were receiving approximately same amount of queries. In fact, one of those domains is just without traffic on it.
Attached Thumbnails
zerigo2.png  

  #12  
Old
Aspiring Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 431
Be weary of services that charge per blocks of queries, but I could also say be weary of those that dont charge, unless you know someone who can vouch for their services.

I had a client that userd UltraDNS in the past and was subsequently DoS attacked, and was asked to foot a $200k bill as a result.

Services like Amazon's Route53 might be a good alternative, depending on what type of DNS services you need, and what your external dependencies are.

__________________
Managed Hosting Services | Managed VPS Hosting Services | 24x7x365 Support

  #13  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,495
One of the biggest problems with paid DNS can be if your no longer in control of the TTL, I have seen a few that force a very low TTL which causes a substantial increase in DNS queries, and therefore more money for them.

Obviously if your using a fail over DNS service, then this isn't avoidable, however if your just looking for simple DNS there really is no need for it...

__________________
-- PingBin.com -- Trace Route Database --

  #14  
Old
Junior Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 218
The main thingg that they do I think is to control the DNS server clusters. It's quite normal where sometimes they do have some minor errors.

  #15  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
I just moved over to DNS Made Easy and boy was I surprised to see 8 million queries in 3 weeks. I am on the Business plan so I have 10 million queries included but the way things are going it seems I might have to build my own Cpanel DNSONLY cluster. That OR increase the TTL.

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Market research: DNS Management Services HostBill Other Reviews 1 11-18-2011 07:16 PM
SeeksAdmin Server Management - 24/7 Linux & Windows Management Services Steven.C Systems Management Offers 2 05-05-2011 02:32 PM
cpanel dns cluster? registrars dns services? florenceit Web Hosting 8 05-18-2010 04:35 PM
DNS and Dynamic DNS Hosting Services AtlantaWebhost.com Shared Hosting Offers 0 06-14-2002 11:02 AM
Who has the latest accurate rating on webhosting companies and services? T.Millenia Web Hosting 2 04-06-2002 10:32 PM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
New Russian Internet Censorship Law Targets Bloggers Web Hosting News 2014-05-07 14:09:58
JaguarPC Listing 2014-10-22 09:43:35
Datapipe Acquires Newvem for AWS Cloud Analytics Web Hosting News 2013-09-10 14:12:49
Dimension Data Includes WAN Optimization in Public Cloud Service Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 11:30:22
AWS Offers Customers Granular Cloud Billing Option Web Hosting News 2012-12-14 13:09:45


Tags
dns management, dnsmadeeasy.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?