hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions : Does Web Hosting Talk support SOPA supporting companies?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Does Web Hosting Talk support SOPA supporting companies?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
interesting, but the articles don't say what you said
cant you link 'never turned profit' and ipo, yourself ?

Sponsored Links
  #17  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
Why should I? I am not the one making the claim or referring to a nebulous source. Its easy to sling accusations. Now back them up.

  #18  
Old
Just me
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Among the corn
Posts: 10,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Why should I? I am not the one making the claim or referring to a nebulous source. Its easy to sling accusations. Now back them up.
One thing you'll find out quickly about unity
he/she/it doesn't back anything up. His own sources are more reliable than anyone you could possibly quote and mean everything he/she/it interprets them to say even if they say the exact opposite.

Trying to get unity to see reality is a waste of time. Plenty have tried and failed. Just ignore him/her/it, it's better for everyone, including yourself.

Sponsored Links
  #19  
Old
Security Ninja
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,753
It was proven a while back that when GoDaddy stated their support for SOPA that despite thousands of people pulling their domains, they actually GAINED MORE domains! The general population DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SOPA and they will get their domains from the most recognizable brand, which is unfortunately GoDaddy.

__________________
Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
300+ Vulnerabilities Found - Get a Quote @ http://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

  #20  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: /etc/my.cnf
Posts: 9,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It was proven a while back that when GoDaddy stated their support for SOPA that despite thousands of people pulling their domains, they actually GAINED MORE domains! The general population DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SOPA and they will get their domains from the most recognizable brand, which is unfortunately GoDaddy.
I believe it was just another publicity stunt

__________________
LeapHost High Performance Wordpress & Magento Hosting Powered By Litespeed
Fast Dedicated Servers | Uptime Cloud Monitoring | Proactive Server Management
24/7 Ticket > Phone > Live Chat Support | Fancy An Offer > Visit Our LH Specials


  #21  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Why should I? I am not the one making the claim or referring to a nebulous source. Its easy to sling accusations. Now back them up.
back up what ? back up the 15 year old 'bloat it, and sell it' dot com business model ?

i dont understand what you need backing up ? or are you just screwing around ?

godaddy never posted profit ? its there. their best quarter was the year they made minimum loss.

how hard is it to understand what's below

Quote:
“Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Go Daddy hasn’t had a profitable year since it was founded in 1997. Last year, it had a net loss of $11.6 million.” Two months after my story appeared, GoDaddy pulled its planned IPO The company’s loquacious founder Bob Parsons was mad at the financial press for focusing too much on the company’s lack of profits which he blamed on overly conservative accounting rules and not its positive cash flow.
'nebulous source' ? the company's own egomaniac ceo tries to explain why there have never been profits in his own blog, while he has pulled its ipo because the financial outlets 'focused too much on the lack of profits'.

you know, noone is obliged to update any random person about these things.

  #22  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
One thing you'll find out quickly about unity
he/she/it doesn't back anything up. His own sources are more reliable than anyone you could possibly quote and mean everything he/she/it interprets them to say even if they say the exact opposite.

Trying to get unity to see reality is a waste of time. Plenty have tried and failed. Just ignore him/her/it, it's better for everyone, including yourself.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will certainly keep that in mind.

  #23  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
I believe it was just another publicity stunt
As they say here in my town: there is no such thing as bad publicity

  #24  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. I will certainly keep that in mind.
you should definitely pay attention to what people who think they've become a big shot wall street ceo and 'made it' by running a 5 man small i.t. shop/host, say.

  #25  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
you should definitely pay attention to what people who think they've become a big shot wall street ceo and 'made it' by running a 5 man small i.t. shop/host, say.
I am too busy trying to find your outrage when technology-focused buyout firm Vector Capital sold Register.com to Web.com last year. So far I can't......But when a private person wants to sell his 15-year old business, out come the jack boots. Fortunately businesses in this country are not regulated according to your irrational wants


Last edited by Collabora; 03-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
  #26  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
I am too busy trying to find your outrage when technology-focused buyout firm Vector Capital sold Register.com to Web.com last year. So far I can't......But when a private person wants to sell his business, out come the jack boots
what i just have said, was about linux-tech.

in regard to your point, there is no 'rage'. i have just pointed out that, what godaddy is trying to do with all its lack of profits, constant growth, and immense publicity stunts bordering on stupidity was to go for an old dot com style sellout or ipo.

technically there is nothing wrong in that in terms of 'business'.

practically, there is, a lot of bad in this actually, now that you mention it. because godaddy is going to be baiting idiots who is wanting to get in the next rare 'dot com' pop, by upping the hype.

however, there are no profits. they are giving bottom dollar prices continually making losses, therefore there is no profits to show. after ipo or sellout, shareholders, investors or whomever buys it will want to make profits. and they will see that they will need to either raise the prices or cut costs. if they raise prices, they will lose customers a lot - since coming from constant loss to acceptable profits will require considerable margin.

they cant cut technical costs, because hosting is a sector with considerable overhead. especially in terms of support, which godaddy is already lacking.

the only costs they can cut is advertising. if they cut it, its going to be worse for them for what propels godaddy's method is not some well-working affiliate system that propels itself like hostgator, but vulgar advertisements and publicity stunts.

so, they are going to fish idiots with the ipo/sellout and get away with money. of course, 'they' is a very limited group.

.........

on the other hand, in order to perpetuate this, they have caused hosting sector to go rock bottom in prices - forcing amenities and support to go down to make up for it.

it is a harmful outfit, and its better for everyone that it gets sold or does its ipo asap so that things will level down.

  #27  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
That's a lot of bloviating for an event that has not occured. Yes, just yesterday we saw a real one: Yelp's IPO. Another business that only showed losses and an event that contradicts everything you have said (anything worthwhile that is): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_Tech_LEADTop

  #28  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
you should definitely pay attention to what people who think they've become a big shot wall street ceo and 'made it' by running a 5 man small i.t. shop/host, say.

what i just have said, was about linux-tech.
Why dis LT because he only employs 4 or 5 people? Why listen to you? Because you know how to copy and paste from an internet rag and make big red font?

So here is what this thread is about. One person (OP) accuses wht of supporting sopa because domain name is with a registrar that supported it in the past.

And another that is a self-proclaimed financial analyst with selective outrage that wants to deny a certain host that which other companies do every day, merely because he/she/it does not like their brand

And a jack-booted brown shirt that demands that you must be an employer of more than 5 before your opinion can be considered (but no more employees than what godaddy employs apparently)

  #29  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
interesting, but the articles don't say what you said
no financial outlet in the world is going to come out and say that some chaps in wall street are going to shake up the fools' money with the latest non-moneymaking dot com company pop. definitely not parsons himself. neither the fast-transaction using investment companies which are going to make heaps of money in the few hours or days before the jig is up immediately after the ipo/sellout.

any investor who would understand it, already knows it by observing the traits of earlier such examples and how did they go. its not obscure knowledge.

  #30  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Amidst several dimensions
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Why dis LT because he only employs 4 or 5 people?
you will see when you search and read his posts in different discussions. enough said about that matter.

Quote:
And another that is a self-proclaimed financial analyst with selective outrage that wants to deny a certain host that which other companies do every day, merely because he/she/it does not like their brand

And a jack-booted brown shirt that demands that you must be an employer of more than 5 before your opinion can be considered (but no more employees than what godaddy employs apparently)
what i said requires just 2 ounces of cognitive power, and either a knowledge of, or a short research of the recent dot com ipos or sellouts.

these are common knowledge. not rocket science. and im not obligated to prove these, or educate people who cant take one set of traits that is common on one set of incidents, and then fail to apply it to the case at hand through similar traits.

you can do that on your own. if, youre willing that is. if you are not, noone will do it on your behalf. certainly not myself.

i thank you for your participation. i wont be discussing this matter further with you.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GoDaddy Quit Supporting SOPA !!! DotAL Web Hosting Lounge 33 12-27-2011 04:21 AM
Live Support Software - special offer for Web Hosting Talk community! sklimczak Software & Scripts Offers 3 03-01-2011 12:02 PM
Telephone Support for Web Hosting Companies PhoneSupport Other Web Hosting Related Offers 1 06-28-2010 09:50 AM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
HostingCon 2013: Internet Freedom and How Web Hosts Can Protect It Web Hosting News 2013-06-18 13:00:22
i2Coalition Members Gather at Capitol Hill for Internet Advocacy Day Web Hosting News 2013-02-27 10:36:51
I2Coalition Plans to Educate Lawmakers with Capitol Hill Internet Advocacy Day Web Hosting News 2013-02-07 12:00:37
Rackspace Hosting to Support and Partner with Open Compute Suppliers Web Hosting News 2013-01-16 17:01:23
.CA Domain Will Support French Characters Starting Mid-January Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 15:11:30


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?