hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Yet another fiber optic question, this time 10G Cisco Optics

Forum Jump

Yet another fiber optic question, this time 10G Cisco Optics

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
Also known as twinaxial or twinax, basically they are 10Gig copper cables/SFP+ that plug into the SFP+ slots and can run over short distances. (typically 5m or less).

http://www.starcompu.com/cisco-sfp-h10gb-cu5m.html

Dave.
That's by the far the cheapest solution

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezus View Post
That's by the far the cheapest solution
We use them for are san, though everything is in the same rack. You could do some rack to rack with them, obviously as long as they are close enough.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Disabled

So turns out instead of the C3KX-NM-10G's we ordered we received C3KX-NM-10GT's instead. I ran out and picked up some cat6a cables (damn they're thick!) and popped in the modules to find:

PLATFORM-4-FRULINK_UNSUPPORTED: Unsupported FRULink 10G NS module inserted

Turns out we're on ios 12.2(53r)SE2 and they weren't supported until 15.0(1)SE. Ungggghh!

Everything is bonded across each switch in each stack so in theory we can upgrade each switch in the stack with minimal downtime.

Anyone else running ios 15? What about rolling upgrades for a stack, is it possible?

Edit: The reason for asking about RSU is this thread:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2117754

Indicates that there are bugs where RSU won't work pre 15.0 and even then won't work on a layer 3 port. I find that kind of funny as when comparing these to the ex4200's one of the negatives mentioned about the ex4200's is no ISU. Yet here I am on the Cisco side and find it's a broken feature.

Last edited by cheezus; 02-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Community Guide

Quote:
So turns out instead of the C3KX-NM-10G's we ordered we received C3KX-NM-10GT's instead.
So 5W per port instead of 0.1W per port, with a higher bit error rate thrown in as a bonus!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
So 5W per port instead of 0.1W per port, with a higher bit error rate thrown in as a bonus!
Yeah, that's awesome.

When did you become a community guide?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Community Guide

Quote:
When did you become a community guide?
A couple years ago, I think.

Be aware that in IOS 15 that the licensing model changed and you need a unit-specific license for each paid feature you want to enable. Gone are the days of buying an "IP Base" (SMI) switch and just loading "IP Services" (EMI) code on it.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
A couple years ago, I think.

Be aware that in IOS 15 that the licensing model changed and you need a unit-specific license for each paid feature you want to enable. Gone are the days of buying an "IP Base" (SMI) switch and just loading "IP Services" (EMI) code on it.
Ah, never noticed before although I have heard a duck quack.

That's good to know. We're actually using the base feature set so we should be ok. I'm waiting on TAC now to see about the upgrade poc and find out more about RSU. Although RSU appears to not have been supported until 12.2(58) anyway... I'm more concerned with going to 15 and the stability/bugs found in anything new...

Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Ah, never noticed before although I have heard a duck quack.

That's good to know. We're actually using the base feature set so we should be ok. I'm waiting on TAC now to see about the upgrade poc and find out more about RSU. Although RSU appears to not have been supported until 12.2(58) anyway... I'm more concerned with going to 15 and the stability/bugs found in anything new...
Running into a similar issue with an ips module. We are on 12.4(15), and its not supposed until 15.x. We use ZBFW and there are serveral changes in the way it handles things that requires changes in the config. Also serveral other fun modifications i will have to do, as i went though a similar change for our remote sites, but our primary ones have a much more detailed config that will take a while to modify

Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Not all switches can supply 5w needed for 10GBaseT. I think the 3750 series is one of those where 10GBaseT SFP+ is not supported even if you have 15.0x installed.

However looking at your part it looks like it is two physical 10Gbase-T ports on the module so you should be OK. This also has the advantage that you can connect thing 100M away rather than 5M.

Dave.

Last edited by david_halliday; 02-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Not all switches can supply 5w needed for 10GBaseT. I think the 3750 series is one of those where 10GBaseT SFP+ is not supported even if you have 15.0x installed.

However looking at your part it looks like it is two physical 10Gbase-T ports on the module so you should be OK. This also has the advantage that you can connect thing 100M away rather than 5M.

Dave.
TAC says the 10G copper modules we have are supported. No known issues we should be concerned about. And that c3750e-universalk9-tar.150-1.SE2.tar is the image we need.

So, had we actually gotten what we ordered, it wouldn't have worked in the 3750-x? Because on the site it says that module is supported... I wonder if that means you can use sfp but not sfp+ which would have sucked because 10G was the purpose.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Indicates that there are bugs where RSU won't work pre 15.0 and even then won't work on a layer 3 port. I find that kind of funny as when comparing these to the ex4200's one of the negatives mentioned about the ex4200's is no ISU. Yet here I am on the Cisco side and find it's a broken feature.
You know you don't have to upgrade the entire ex4200 VC at the SAME TIME. You can upgrade it member by member.

If the network is properly architected you can upgrade, even an ex4200, with no downtime. I would not rely on ISSU / RSU / etc to eliminate downtime. I would rely on proper network architecture to keep a network running.

Above.net AT&T Cogent Global Crossing / Level(3) NTT Qwest Sprint Tinet Telia Verizon XO

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
You know you don't have to upgrade the entire ex4200 VC at the SAME TIME. You can upgrade it member by member.

If the network is properly architected you can upgrade, even an ex4200, with no downtime. I would not rely on ISSU / RSU / etc to eliminate downtime. I would rely on proper network architecture to keep a network running.
I don't know, don't run them. That's just what comes out whenever the 3570x vs ex4200 comparison is discussed here.

Not sure how your comment about relying on proper network arc to keep a network running applies to my situation so I'm gonna write it off as you just being cranky.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think you may have been ok with SFP+ and twinax they have been around much longer than 10GBase-T so may be supported in your existing IOS.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I don't know, don't run them. That's just what comes out whenever the 3570x vs ex4200 comparison is discussed here.

Not sure how your comment about relying on proper network arc to keep a network running applies to my situation so I'm gonna write it off as you just being cranky.
I did not intend to come off sounding cranky, for that I am sorry.

I was simply saying that RSU/ISSU should not be a decision maker when buying switches as it has proven, from more than one vendor, to not be reliable.

Was just hoping that if someone was reading this thread would have the full picture before using this to write off both the EX4200 and the Cisco 3570x on the sole basis that it does not support RSU / ISSU.

Above.net AT&T Cogent Global Crossing / Level(3) NTT Qwest Sprint Tinet Telia Verizon XO

Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Disabled

Quote:
I think you may have been ok with SFP+ and twinax they have been around much longer than 10GBase-T so may be supported in your existing IOS.
Yeah it says 12.2(53) support of the module we tried to order and we're at that or above. Not sure about the 5w power and sfp+ concern you raised though.