Question about directory submission

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see how paying for directory submission works and what it would do for me. I didn't spend a lot I spent $35.00 on 300 subs.

I received the report about a weeks ago and today looked on my webmasters page and didn't see any additional links to my site. They should show up there right? After the company submits them how long are those links there for? Basically I can't seem to find any of these links.

Stupid question.... Directory subs help with serps right?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Directory Submissions can take a few months to start populating. If you did this 2 weeks ago, it may be a while before you see any residual traffic.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cakvala View Post
    Directory Submissions can take a few months to start populating. If you did this 2 weeks ago, it may be a while before you see any residual traffic.
    As said there's no set time-scale for real results, your submissions need to get into the growing crawler cycle. At the same time though there's no actual guarantee these will have a positive effect, but you can't expect miracles for $35.00.

If these are manual, well written, well placed subs then you'll be okay, but if they're automatic or being spammed then you'll see little or no ranking improvement, possibly even de-ranking. In all honesty I can't imagine $0.11 per sub producing anything spectacular but I couldn't say without knowing who is doing the work for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission helps in serp if it is done properly and in right direction. It should be submitted in right category with useful title, keywords, tags and the most important description. Some directories take time to approve submission. We also should check that where we are submitting our site that page is cached by search engine or not.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory Submissions generate the needed traffic only if you submit your sites to relevant and high PR directories.Also it takes quite a long time to start working on the SERP's, but you can get good results in the end.
      0 Not allowed!

Very good thread for SEO beginners. I would like to highlight - never use auto submission services because your website may appear in directories with no PR and lots of trash links, it won't get you any benefits. Submit your website manually and choose proper directories and proper categories in these directories. Here is my list of free good directories (submission approve can take several months).
    dmoz.org
    rdirectory.net
    seo-index.com/
    tekguide.net
    freeprwebdirectory.com
    theseoking.com
    ukinternetdirectory.net
    littlewebdirectory.com
    worldwidewub.org
    allbusinessdirectory.biz
    a1webdirectory.org
    a-p-e-x.org/
    abigdir.com
    Last edited by altteam; 02-14-2012 at 03:42 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I submited my links to most of these directories with reciprocial,and after more than month and half - nothing...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IvanCg View Post
    I submited my links to most of these directories with reciprocial,and after more than month and half - nothing...
    If your link hasn't appeared in the directories, I would suggest you delete their links on your site because they are benefiting right now and you are not. If they do ever get round to reviewing your submission and approve it, they will look for their link and when they can't find it will probably email you.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see how paying for directory submission works and what it would do for me. I didn't spend a lot I spent $35.00 on 300 subs.

I received the report about a weeks ago and today looked on my webmasters page and didn't see any additional links to my site. They should show up there right? After the company submits them how long are those links there for? Basically I can't seem to find any of these links.

Thanks
    How are you checking your links ?? i mean o say what tool are you using ??
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission is a slow process, results can be good but they are shown after a time period, secondly 300 submission are nothing it will be good if you do 3000.Definately it will make you good on SERPs.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by weblinkindia View Post
    Directory submission is a slow process, results can be good but they are shown after a time period, secondly 300 submission are nothing it will be good if you do 3000.Definately it will make you good on SERPs.
    I don't believe there are 3000 directories worth being in.
      0 Not allowed!

Top 25 would be a great list to create for this forum section and sticky.

Thanks Altteam for that list you have
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by motorola4gatrix View Post
    How are you checking your links ?? i mean o say what tool are you using ??
    You can see them using google webmaster tools.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission provides one way good back link. Some directories take so many time to provide approval because lots of links are in queue for review quality of links.
      0 Not allowed!

Directories take time to get approved (approx 3-4 months). You will start seeing links from there in few months. IMHO they are not worth paying. IF you website is new, you should submit it on few good directories such as dmoz and forget about DS.
      0 Not allowed!

It is very hard to get approved in Dmoz.
    I tried to list my websites few times,but there is no editor for that category in begining.Someone became editor few months ago and my websites are not listed yet.I suspect that the main reason is competition ...
      0 Not allowed!

free directory submission is better then paying. inclusion takes time of 2,3 months.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory Submission will take time for its approval.Moreover some may delete your post for not following webmaster guidelines.
      0 Not allowed!

Directory submission definitely helps the website to get ranking. But there are certain question which are arising -

How many of the links were actually approved?
    Does the search engines (ex Google) indexed those approved links. Unless they index you will not observe the ranking difference.
      0 Not allowed!

With $35 you can probably get 3000 submissions. It would take weeks, if not months, to get approved, most don't even approve your submissions. But having a bit of domain diversity wouldn't hurt.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post

Thanks
    Yes they help ... but it can take from 1 day up to 3 month to see some effect ( see the backlinks ). This is only the case if there is no fraud ( showing you the links but removing them after 30 days )
      0 Not allowed!

Be wary of companies offering directory submissions to hundreds of sites. you could find yourself penalized by Google/Bing for doing it? Why? Well if your site is on a giant directory of "unrelated" sites, then it's more SPAM directory than anything else. The directories your site is listed on would need to specifically target your niche.

Read the SE stuff at Google -- they specifically mention about staying away from "bad neighborhoods" :-)
      0 Not allowed!

We have found that 'targeted' directory submissions can help rankings. i.e.; post only on relevant, ranking directories. However, 300 for $35- sounds like link farm spam. Just the type of thing that the latest Google algorithm is penalizing.
      0 Not allowed!

I have started doing directory submissions almost 7 days back and covered 80 directories so far. I have got few approvals as well and few backlinks too. The only thing with this activity is you need to have good database and lot of patience to go with it. You surely get benefits with directories provided you are ready to wait.
      0 Not allowed!

25. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!