hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Colo in Miami, FL ?

Forum Jump

Colo in Miami, FL ?

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
CLOUD will fix EVERYTHING...

You are looking for remote hands... not gonna happen at a place like Telx, they are pretty much hands off, and the remote hands is business hours only and will not be something that you are expecting.
If they do have after hours remote hands, it will still take 1-2 hours to get there and will be basic button pushing.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by @dck View Post
This is the address I have on file for TELX: 36 North East 2nd Street, Miami, FL

I'm going to reach out to them now to see what I can get.

Any comments on telx customer service?
You will get a pretty initial pricing of $600/mo for a cab with 20A and one cross connect or 5Mbps overrated bandwidth.

Then on the end of the year they'll slap you with an extra and unknown-amount utilities bill for common facilities (NNN leasing, so it's whatever they say it was their total costs, divided proportionally by all their tenants).

And then every year they'll reserve the right to jack up your pricing as much as 400%. And ANY upgrades after your initial order will be at least 50% more expensive than the same items in the initial order, as they don't reserve/hold/obey pricing.

Their remote hands costs $250/hour and they don't have anybody on site, after 5PM and before 8AM. And unless what you need is them running cables, plugging connectors, or sawing plexiglass, don't expect much of them.

Read the small, fine print.

Last edited by cresci; 02-07-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old
Web Hosting Master

If you are looking for Miami, I'd recommend checking out Colohouse. They are in the same physical building as Telx and Equinix (DRT, 36 North East 2nd St.), but have much more reasonable cross connect and remote hands fees. They seem to have a good crew over there, and the facility looked clean and well maintained when I took a tour of it last month. I'd be happy to provide contact info for my sales rep - just shoot me a PM.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
Thats not what I tried to say. What I mean is that some countries are only connected to the international backbone via Telefonica. Brazil of course also has Telefonica, but not only Telefonica. They also have other carriers connected to the international backbone. Thats what I meant with diversity.
Argentina and Brazil are two of major countries in latam ( at least considering the following : geography to cover, Purchasing Power Parity, population, and that both are very close physically with each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

and "disregarding" Mexico as a Latin American country ( despite itīs language) because it can be easily covered ( and maybe even covered my != states than Florida).

In Argentina we have sparkle ( telecom Italia Afaik ), GBLX and telefonica.

Last edited by elvis1; 02-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old

Don't count on Telx miami to have redundant uplinks. They only have one fiber provider that they use for their "blended" bandwidth.

Old

Check with PEER1, they have a Colo Facility in Miami. Staffed 24x7, remote hands, SAS70 Type II.

Their facility is in Doral, off the PD/Airport grid, redundant 10G links.

Old
Industry Grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
If you are looking for Miami, I'd recommend checking out Colohouse. They are in the same physical building as Telx and Equinix (DRT, 36 North East 2nd St.), but have much more reasonable cross connect and remote hands fees. They seem to have a good crew over there, and the facility looked clean and well maintained when I took a tour of it last month. I'd be happy to provide contact info for my sales rep - just shoot me a PM.

Colohouse rocks....+1

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresci View Post
Not really true. Telefonica is important, a major stakeholder, but not the dominant or monopolistic at all (or anymore).
In terms of traffic, they are still *the* dominant player.. (atleast for our traffic sourced from NOTA)..more than 50% of our bits going to LATAM are to telefonica.

With that said they seem to be doing a good job currently with interconnects in Miami - most carriers should have capacity available. But you *really do* want someone that peers with Telefonica locally.

If your telefonica bits are getting hauled to ashburn or dallas, then you're not really gaining anything in LATAM by being in Miami

Old

Colohouse just lost power this morning-again. 2nd time since we moved there 2 years ago. Lot's of damage to our databases, systems and clients.

Our contract is coming up in a few months. Does anyone recommend a datacenter in the Miami area that is reliable and around the same price range as colohouse? How about Digiport? Terremark/NAP is just too expensive.

Thanks,

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataLinkIT View Post
Colohouse just lost power this morning-again. 2nd time since we moved there 2 years ago. Lot's of damage to our databases, systems and clients.

Our contract is coming up in a few months. Does anyone recommend a datacenter in the Miami area that is reliable and around the same price range as colohouse? How about Digiport? Terremark/NAP is just too expensive.

Thanks,
Is Digiport still even alive, after Cogent left there (last I heard of, might have been fake info)?

And, has this been 2 years already since we met at DLR lobby? Wow, time flies...

Old
Web Hosting Master

2 times in 2 years is not as bad. Every facility I know had power problems from one time to another in their history.

If that is really your concern then go with Terremark, because even the best facilities can have power issues, in this case you need your own UPS in the rack (if they allow it) or have to 2 different power drops in the cabinet for redundancy.

Usually when a facility has a problem its a power issue, its not uncommon.

If you really need 100% redundancy then you need to prepare your setup like that or go with an expensive DC like Terremark.

If you lost databases, my guess is that you did not had a raid card battery in the servers. This is usually the way people lose or corrupt data when write cache is on without a battery for backup power. Because power loss cannot affect drives, its very, very strange at least, it usually only happens when you have a raid setup and they where writting at the moment. With raid of course power loss is its worst enemy.

Old
CLOUD will fix EVERYTHING...

CoreSite hasnt had a power outage since 2007 (when CoreSite bought the facility).
They also do very regular maintenance and tests.

The only issue with CoreSite is that if you need a lot of bandwidth, no one onnet has 10G ports available, there are no "value" providers onnet, transport out of CoreSite to Terremark is expensive, and CoreSite just raised their cross-connect fees to something retarded (both MRC and NRC).

The facility itself is nicely run, but trying to do business in there if you are a large and growing provider is a pain in the ass.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
Argentina and Brazil are two of major countries in latam ( at least considering the following : geography to cover, Purchasing Power Parity, population, and that both are very close physically with each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

and "disregarding" Mexico as a Latin American country ( despite itīs language) because it can be easily covered ( and maybe even covered my != states than Florida).

In Argentina we have sparkle ( telecom Italia Afaik ), GBLX and telefonica.
Argentina and Brazil alone is not Latin America, the reason I did not included Mexico is because they basically have 0 problems for connections as they have borders with the US directly.

Argentina is big in extension but not in population. Their population is similar to countries like Colombia, so they have the least population in terms of extension. In terms of purchasing power they are even worst. Argentina is basically ruined, they hardly can send US dollars now, similar to Venezuela, any other country has more purchase power in that region and if we go that route it would be Brazil first, Chile, Colombia, etc. Argentina would be almost in the last place if we don't count the Caribbean, which basically doesn't even count. I know most of this countries.

Brazil is the only one interesting in terms of capitalization and investment now as it's the one that is keeping the whole continent afloat in terms of production.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacheflymatt View Post
In terms of traffic, they are still *the* dominant player.. (atleast for our traffic sourced from NOTA)..more than 50% of our bits going to LATAM are to telefonica.

With that said they seem to be doing a good job currently with interconnects in Miami - most carriers should have capacity available. But you *really do* want someone that peers with Telefonica locally.

If your telefonica bits are getting hauled to ashburn or dallas, then you're not really gaining anything in LATAM by being in Miami
Correct, which was my point with my other reply. Most traffic will, (sadly) go via them to LATAM.

Exceptions like I said are Mexico (North) where sometimes its better to be connected via the West Coast or Dallas directly.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
Argentina and Brazil alone is not Latin America, the reason I did not included Mexico is because they basically have 0 problems for connections as they have borders with the US directly.

Argentina is big in extension but not in population. Their population is similar to countries like Colombia, so they have the least population in terms of extension.

In terms of purchasing power they are even worst. Argentina is basically ruined, they hardly can send US dollars now, similar to Venezuela, any other country has more purchase power in that region and if we go that route it would be Brazil first, Chile, Colombia, etc. Argentina would be almost in the last place if we don't count the Caribbean, which basically doesn't even count. I know most of this countries.

Brazil is the only one interesting in terms of capitalization and investment now as it's the one that is keeping the whole continent afloat in terms of production.
Great way of being off what it really is. Do you even speak Spanish, have lived in any latam country, have any type of University education, etc?