hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Quick poll: interest level for Servers in China, HK, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, Japan

Forum Jump

Quick poll: interest level for Servers in China, HK, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, Japan

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Temporarily Suspended

Quick poll: interest level for Servers in China, HK, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, Japan

Hi, all,

I have a network of partners to setup dedi servers in data centers in above locations.

I'm wondering if there is enough demands for that, before I develop the services.

Thanks for the insights in advance

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Well, there is a lot of demand of servers in China as we serve this market, however due to the requirements in China we have to turn down most of the inquiries. From a foreign user perspective, a server in China can only be used for non-web applications such as monitoring, backups etc. Hosting a website is not an option.

Hong Kong and Singapore have traditionally been among the top Asian hubs for hosting/colocation so I guess the demand should be there.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Singapore is often asked.

Sponsored Links
Old
Temporarily Suspended

Lots of foreign companies hosted their sites in China. So I'm surprised to hear that hosting is only for non-web application. Is there any way to work around that?

Old
Web Hosting Master

There is a strong interest - I've had an interest in the Asia market; but due to traffic prices it simply isn't a viable option for most people yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet2scuba View Post
Lots of foreign companies hosted their sites in China. So I'm surprised to hear that hosting is only for non-web application. Is there any way to work around that?
Once the infrastructure in Asia improves significantly, costs of traffic will go down and then Asia will be a great market.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Yes. The bandwidth costs a lot more in AP. Most servers share 100M switch ports, to minimize the cost.

However, with the growing local markets, overseas companies increasingly have to find a way to reach Asian customers with their web presence locally. Hence my interest to explore this business. I do have some potentially lesser expensive bandwidth options for markets such as China.

Let me know if anyone is interested in exploring this idea jointly.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

+1 for Singapore ..

Old

I am looking for a server in HK right now - Since I cant really find anything I will be one of your first customers if you offer great service!

Old
Web Hosting Master

-1 for Korea. The laws are so ridiculous right now. Though, they're currently discussing drawing back some of their totalitarian laws. If I have people in Korea to serve, I get a server in Japan instead.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Hi, Kiteplans, what kind of server do you need? do you have regular needs on that?

Old
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

I'm sure there's a lot of interest in Asian servers, but when that interest meets up with the high prices for bandwidth, generally poor interconnections between Asian countries, and often unfriendly legal situations for hosting, there's a lot of desire for servers but understandably much less actual activity. If these problems could be resolved, then there would definitely be an explosion of hosting in the region, but that's really outside of the control of a hosting provider. Even with these problems it's going to be a growing market, but the question of whether you can take advantage of that growth or not is an open question.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Thanks for all the good feedbacks. Very much what I suspected.

Will explore this in next 2-3 months, and keep everyone posted!

Old

Price, quality and sound regulations, that's what most peopel should look for.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

We will work on price, quality with our local partners, but sound regulation will only come with time.

Old

I say Japan or Korea.