hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : SuperMicro IPMI Security

Forum Jump

SuperMicro IPMI Security

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintserve View Post
Good thing our IPMI are on a management network that's not available to the public. I wonder which fresh out of school hacks wrote their firmware.
You are not the first who asked this question...

International Computer Concepts

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintserve View Post
I wonder which fresh out of school hacks wrote their firmware.
It's easy to blame the kid that wrote the initial software.
But what about quality control and management decisions after release?
  • they should start advising their customers to change the anonymous password instantly, which solves the immediate threat.
    Not pretend you need new firmware.
    That they may prefer that route, as you can hide the exploit details that way, I can understand.
    But this thread is a year old, the bad guys already knew about the vulnerability long ago.
    Full disclosure is the best policy.

• it is not the only security vulnerability related to this particular firmware.
    Another one is that if you use the "backup configuration" function your admin password is made available at a public non-password protected web location.

I reported this to them 5 months ago, and received zero feedback.
    Fed up with that attitude, I posted the details to the full-disclosure mailing list a few days ago: http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Oct/522

Promptly received a reply from another hosting provider that they reported a similar issue affecting KVM screenshots to them 3 years ago, and it still has not been fixed.

• some past IPMI firmware release contained very obvious bugs.
    E.g. negative temperature readings (while the sensors do work properly, as you can see the correct figures in the BIOS).
    Can they honestly claim the releases go through QA before release?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:10 AM
WHT Addict

Actually it's not necessarily a hack just out of school, it's just the way they write software in Asia. Buy any cheap Chinese gadget that comes with locally written software and it's virtually useless. Lots of good products come of China but they have westerners write the software for it.

I understand IPMI runs some sort of *nix, busybox or whatever? Is it possible to ssh into that and setup iptables or something like that? At last that would improve security somewhat.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Retired Moderator

Yes it runs a version of Busybox. So theorectically, it should be able to install iptables on it. Haven't tried it though.

Historically, Asian manufacturers all started out mostly as OEM manufacturers, where the designs are given to them and they just have to make the hardware side of things. As such, all of them tend to be overly hardware focused and not enough attention is given to the software. For them, it's good enough as long as it seem to "work" never mind the security.

Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 AM
******* Unleaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsere View Post
Actually it's not necessarily a hack just out of school, it's just the way they write software in Asia. Buy any cheap Chinese gadget that comes with locally written software and it's virtually useless. Lots of good products come of China but they have westerners write the software for it.

I understand IPMI runs some sort of *nix, busybox or whatever? Is it possible to ssh into that and setup iptables or something like that? At last that would improve security somewhat.
Let's examine your xenophobic statements.

The only accurate part of the entire post is that most implementations of ipmi run some linux derivative and often run busybox as the shell.

Given those ingredients, the software was mostly written by North Americans and Europeans. That is especially the case for busybox which is mostly the work of one person.

Of course if you don't like products that are not completely Western in content, you can always avoid those products. Your choices will be severely limited.

++

uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 AM
WHT Addict

Did I understand this correctly, that the only problem was that many users were unaware of the "anonymous" username existence, and left its default password unchanged? Did I understand it correctly, that you do not really need new firmware - you just need to change the default passwords?

If so, then I do not really understand what all this fuss is about. And what does it have to do with West, East, etc.

During your first log-in to the IPMI management web interface, you would immediately see that there are two users. And it is very obvious, that you MUST change both passwords. If you don't do that, then it's not really a "security flaw", it's your own fault. Well, ok, the design is not fool-proof. But that does not make it flawed.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLittleBird View Post
Did I understand this correctly, that the only problem was that many users were unaware of the "anonymous" username existence, and left its default password unchanged? Did I understand it correctly, that you do not really need new firmware - you just need to change the default passwords?
Correct.
Just change the password (and make sure you do not use the "backup configuration" function).

Quote:
And it is very obvious, that you MUST change both passwords.
The problem being:
  • some people here assumed incorrectly that if they disabled the account in the webinterface, that was good enough, and there would not be any need to change the password. But that function does not actually work.

• the official documentation only tells you to change the password of the "ADMIN" account.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:

If so, then I do not really understand what all this fuss is about. And what does it have to do with West, East, etc.

During your first log-in to the IPMI management web interface, you would immediately see that there are two users. And it is very obvious, that you MUST change both passwords. If you don't do that, then it's not really a "security flaw", it's your own fault. Well, ok, the design is not fool-proof. But that does not make it flawed.

The main problem is that if you disable anonymous account it will keep working. That is the security flaw. Now, that everyone know that disabling won't work, it is just a matter of changing passwords. Before, it was impossible to know that. I tried myself anonymous at the webinterface but I could not imagine that it would work at SSH with an empty login. Who would?

So, this "only problem" is a serious issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
WHT Addict

Yes, I agree, "backup configuration" is a security flaw. And also disabled account still works - that's another security flaw. But still, no new firmware is really necessary. Change the passwords, and do not use the "backup configuration" function.

I somewhat over-reacted ("much ado about nothing"), because I was very anxiously following this thread until I realized, that none of our servers were affected (as we always changed both passwords, and never used "backup configuration").

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Yes, I agree, "backup configuration" is a security flaw. And also disabled account still works - that's another security flaw. But still, no new firmware is really necessary. Change the passwords, and do not use the "backup configuration" function.

I somewhat over-reacted ("much ado about nothing"), because I was very anxiously following this thread until I realized, that none of our servers were affected (as we always changed both passwords, and never used "backup configuration").
We were not that lucky. These bugs caused us some problems but we are happy to finally know that everything is "ok". I realize that being paranoid may help. So, it is always useful to change passwords of an account when disabling it

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
Let's examine your xenophobic statements.

The only accurate part of the entire post is that most implementations of ipmi run some linux derivative and often run busybox as the shell.

Given those ingredients, the software was mostly written by North Americans and Europeans. That is especially the case for busybox which is mostly the work of one person.

Of course if you don't like products that are not completely Western in content, you can always avoid those products. Your choices will be severely limited.

++
Well since you want to take this off-topic. It is not about being Xenophobic, or about western content, it's about their school system. I know, I live here, I see it every day. Children are taught from they enter school to sit down and listen and not have creative thoughts, but simply memorize what they are told. They are great at copying anything down to the last detail, but they haven't learned much about programming or creative thoughts. It's just the way it is. Show me any Chinese written software (or website) that isn't a complete waste of time.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM

My 2cents to add to the discussion:

As you may know, the web interface page tells you that you don't have enough rights to either save/restore the config, or to access the IPMI configuration page at all when you have Operator or User rights respectively.

However that doesn't matter, because your access level is only checked when you are hitting the page with the buttons, but not when you perform the save operation. So whatever your access level may be, you just need to click the following url: impihost/cgi/save_IPMI_config.cgi , and proceed with downloading the config.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

Sorry to dredge up an old thread here - we have an IPMI interface get hacked through the anonymous user as well. Since the malicious parties already got into the IPMI card, will simply changing the password lock them out? I've already upgraded the firmware, reset to factory defaults then changed the password to anonymous - will that suffice to keep out a malicious party that already had access to it?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaB View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread here - we have an IPMI interface get hacked through the anonymous user as well. Since the malicious parties already got into the IPMI card, will simply changing the password lock them out? I've already upgraded the firmware, reset to factory defaults then changed the password to anonymous - will that suffice to keep out a malicious party that already had access to it?
Security purists would probably say that once something is compromised you can not trust it anymore, and suggest you destroy the thing.

But the IPMI card runs an embedded Linux flavor that has a file system that is mounted read-only with the exception of the /tmp folder (kept in memory) and the /nv folder that keeps the settings.

So the locations where a backdoor can be easily left are kinda limited.
- Loading factory defaults should have cleared the /nv folder.
- And upgrading the firmware should cause the unit to reboot, clearing the /tmp folder. (also happens if you pull the power cable)

So I think you are reasonable safe.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Randy

upgrading the firmware basically wipes the whole filesystem...you should be safe.