hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : [HELP] RAQ3i [HELP]

Forum Jump

[HELP] RAQ3i [HELP]

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Question

[HELP] RAQ3i [HELP]

Hi, i recently bought a RAQ 3i to host off.

But i am looking for a compleate step by step guide to tell me exactly how to create a website, and how to setup DNS and everything else...

I am also going to want to install something like Cpanel. (which i could do with a guide of some sort.)

If you could provide something like this then i would be very greatful..

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Web Hosting Guru

There is a manual for the device kicking around somewhere, probably on ftp.cobalt.sun.com. You could install Cpanel, with some difficulty, but the Cobalt GUI is intended to do most of the administrative functions. You'll need some other program (old version of Microsoft Frontpage worked with the Cobalt) to actually "make a website".

Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyc95 View Post

But I am looking for a complete step by step guide to tell me exactly how to create a website, and how to setup DNS and everything else...

I am also going to want to install something like Cpanel. (which i could do with a guide of some sort.)

Thanks!
Nic (hahah get it)

OK anyway, I too am new to running a webpage from one of these units, I bought a Cobalt RaQ4i cheap off eBay to learn the backend of the web / network services. See I am studying for my CCNA, and I thought it might be nice to see it all work. Plus, I could of setup a PC or Server that I already had here but the Cobalt will pay for itself in less then one year in electricity saved it only draws 35 watts when up and running.

First thing I did was download the restore CD from Sun's archives, but after looking around a bit (and reading a lot on the web) I learned about BlueQuartz, and the NuOnce Networks installer, it is a slightly updated version of the Sun/Cobalt webserver software / interface, but there is an active update system. I am not saying this is the best option only that its a nice easy one.

I originally tried to get it to work with my current home router and dynamic Cable IP, it did not work (even though I understand that it can be made to work) so I upgraded my service to a Business Class service from my ISP / Cable Company to get a Static IP. Plugged that information into the cobalt and it was online. It really was that simple!

Pretty much once you have the software installed, Sun/Cobalt [I would not run this as its old and the last updates are well over 5 years old] BQ, BlueOnyx, RackStar etc. Its pretty easy, plus now that we have a couple people back talking on this forum, specially gnetwerker. I am sure we can get you running. If you want to see my unit / page that it runs c0op3r.com its nothing special, but you can see the working cobalt system.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyc95 View Post

But i am looking for a compleate step by step guide to tell me exactly how to create a website, and how to setup DNS and everything else...

Thanks!
Attached is the manual which contains information on how to setup the sites, etc. Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf raq3manual.pdf (1.92 MB, 208 views)