hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Burst.net customers cannot send email to yahoo

Forum Jump

Burst.net customers cannot send email to yahoo

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thought I'd just chime in since this thread seems to have degraded into a Burstnet / Yahoo blame war. We don't host with Burstnet, but had the same problem with Yahoo email to the point that we were going to block all registrations to our site from Yahoo email addresses.

We were given the same excuse (posted earlier) that we were sending spam to Yahoo email addresses, I was able to prove we weren't, but it still took a lot of emails, DKIM setup etc. to finally clear our mail server to send emails to Yahoo email addresses.

IMHO the only party at fault here is Yahoo for making it impossible to *easily* liaise with a *human* Yahoo employee and get this problem resolved

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Old School

The only way I've found to get around this is to use your ISP's SMTP server and it will deliver to Yahoo.

I have been dealing with this issue since January. Right now I'm not blaming BurstNet as much as I am Yahoo. They're the only service that's won't allow VPS IP addresses to be delivered. Unless you have SPF, DK, and DKIM signatures, the Yahoos will automatically reject your message because of the fact that the physical server has a different IP than what was delegated to you.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Old School

Also, what I think is funny, is that as of late, I've been getting a bunch of SPAM mails that originate from Yahoo's mail servers.

I wish I could sue them. Will post more tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 AM
Old School

Also, this only seems to happen with my Scranton VPS containers. The two I have in LA/HE don't have the problem .... yet.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Couldn't go through the 5 pages to see if anyone has suggested Google Apps. I suggest Google Apps.

This is not an isolated problem with Burst.net.

I have seen it happen in several places.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Old School

Exclamation Don't Blame BurstNET

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to address this in more detail.

As a BurstNET multi-VPS customer in both the Scranton and LA datacenters, this is what I've been able to put together about this situation.

So far, this has only occurred in my three VPS containers in Scranton. So far, no issues with my containers in the LA DC.

The physical server has it's own dedicated IP. The VPS containers within have different IP addresses for the VPS customer. This is what Yahoo doesn't seem to like, and why we're getting this error.

I even went so far as to change the sending IP in the exim.conf, and then modify /etc/mailhelo and /etc/mailips to reflect the sending IP, no change. Same stupid error.

Like many of you, I filled out Yahoo's stupid forms, and received the same lame response that there was nothing that the Yahoos could do to help me. Frustrating, because some of my customers are none too happy with the situation.

I'm not sure if it's possible to easily switch IP addresses on a VPS, and, even so, I don't know that I'd want to, truthfully. Too many reconfigs on already highly modified VPS systems.

Seriously, blame the Yahoos. My customers and I can send email to Gmail, Hotmail/Live, Lycos, AOL, Mail.com, Inbox.com, and other free email providers, without any issues whatsoever. The emails deliver directly to the recipients' inboxes without issues. But Yahoo? No go. Error 421 immediately, like everyone else here.

I suppose if it comes down to it, you could order a new VPS from BurstNET, but who's to say that this issue wouldn't rear it's ugly face again after a month or so.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was able to get around the problem by changing my SMTP server to that of my ISP, but if you're using webmail, you're pretty much screwed until Yahoo decides to finally take action and resolve the problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Maybe someone from Yahoo will stumble upon this thread and see they are causing issues and attempt to rectify this issue.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper01 View Post
Maybe someone from Yahoo will stumble upon this thread and see they are causing issues and attempt to rectify this issue.

Doubtful. I don't think they care at this point.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtg View Post
Right now I'm not blaming BurstNet as much as I am Yahoo. They're the only service that's won't allow VPS IP addresses to be delivered. Unless you have SPF, DK, and DKIM signatures, the Yahoos will automatically reject your message because of the fact that the physical server has a different IP than what was delegated to you.
Utter nonsense. Mail sent from your VPS is sent from your VPS IP address, not the IP of the host node.

You do NOT need DK or DKIM set to be able to successfully send email to Yahoo. We're sending hundreds, if not thousands, of emails to Yahoo each week, from BurstNET and elsewhere, and not one of them is being bounced back.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
Utter nonsense. Mail sent from your VPS is sent from your VPS IP address, not the IP of the host node.

You do NOT need DK or DKIM set to be able to successfully send email to Yahoo. We're sending hundreds, if not thousands, of emails to Yahoo each week, from BurstNET and elsewhere, and not one of them is being bounced back.
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, took me weeks to get the problem resolved

Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomLittleHost View Post
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, took me weeks to get the problem resolved
It's nothing to do with luck. Somewhere back in this thread I posted how we screwed up a setup and got screwed by Yahoo as a result. I'm not denying for a second that they can be total planks (English slang) when it comes to dealing with inbound mail. But blaming BurstNET or any other provider, or the fact that it's a VPS IP and the hostnode's IP is somehow to blame (that one actually made me laugh), is just any easy route to take.

And I don't consider myself one of the lucky ones if that implies that we're in a minority. Rather, you're one of the unfortunate few who's fallen foul of Yahoo's madness. It's entirely of their making, but there's ways to set a server up first, before you ever send a single mail to Yahoo, to give yourself a good chance of getting into the lucky majority

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I hope they can solve the problem for you.
I think Yahoo has a problem with Burst.net

Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
It's nothing to do with luck.
Quote:
to give yourself a good chance of getting into the lucky majority
nice one

Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM
An Awesome Dude

Thumbs down The new Yahoo! reads! your! emails!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...hoo_email_read

Apparently the 'new' Yahoo Mail rolling out now will be reading email for marketing purposes!! (As bad as gmail)

Yahoo! suggests it is the users' job to warn anyone who emails them that their messages will also be scanned.

I will be notifying my friends who use YAHOO as i dont really want to email anyone on a system that does this!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
We're sending hundreds, if not thousands, of emails to Yahoo each week, from BurstNET and elsewhere, and not one of them is being bounced back.
So you're the reason the rest of us have problems )) [kidding]