hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Computers and Peripherals Tutorials : Import Emails from Opera to Thunderbird
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Import Emails from Opera to Thunderbird

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Retired Moderator

Import Emails from Opera to Thunderbird

Preface: I used Opera for a week while I tried to figure out why FF crashed on me all of a sudden. I also used the built-in email client for Opera, which downloaded all my email to my hard drive.

When I was finally able to fix FF and wanted to go back to FF & Thunderbird for web/email, I was faced with a problem - Thunderbird can only import email from Outlook, Eudora, Communcator, and Outlook Express.

After doing a little digging on Google, and using the old noodle, this is what I came up with, and it worked a treat

===== WARNING: BACKING UP YOUR EXISTING EMAIL (IF YOU HAVE ANY) IS A VERY GOOD IDEA. I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY FOR YOU =====

Opera Version: 9.02
Thunderbird Version: 1.02
I also want to add that in Opera I had my email filtered by address, which made this very easy for me to import the right emails to the right address within Thunderbird.

In addition, I had only one profile in Thunderbird.

Lastly, I already had the email accounts set up in Thunderbird that I wanted to import emails for before starting this process.

1. For each filter, right-click on the name and select "Export". Save the .mbs file to a folder on your computer.
1a. Copy the .mbs file (Click on the file and then Ctrl+C) [This part is optional but made things go faster for me]

2. Navigate to C:/Documents & Settings /<user name>/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/<profile name>/Mail (where <user name> is the username for your windows login, and <profile name> is the profile name in Thunderbird)

3. Find the email account folder you're importing to, eg mail.something.com and go to the "Inbox" folder

4. Create a folder with .sbd as the suffix (eg, importedmails.sbd)

5. [Copy/]Paste the .mbs file and rename to filename.msf (eg, importedmails.msf)

6. [Copy/]Paste the .mbs file again and rename to filename (no file extension, eg importedmails)

It's important that in steps 4,5, and 6 you use the same name for all 3. So if you start with funstuff.mbs, you should have funstuff.msf, funstuff.sbd, and funstuff in the same folder when you're done.

I hope this helps someone else looking to import their emails from Opera to Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
An Awesome Dude

Very good info.......I hope someone makes use of it

Thank you my friend

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I had to do this a few months ago when I started to get sick of Opera's email program. I am sure a lot of people will find your tutorial useful.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
WHT Addict

OH, yeah if anyone is out there don't upgrade to Netscape 8.0 b/c it isn't an e-mail client. I have know people to upgrade to this thinking they could import their address book and they lost everything with the upgrade. FYI.

Twitter: LW_Patrick

Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 PM

thanks for that info, it could be useful one day, there's no problem with my email on Opera 9.10 , beside I just use an gmail as a POP 3 mail and the original mail still exist on my inbox

Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 AM
WHT Addict

Talking Gmail is the Answer

So many businesses are running on gmail. It's the office pop3 upgrade and widely used by many people in/out of business.

Twitter: LW_Patrick

Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Thanks for the tip. I've always been a Mozilla user but I can't help but to explore once in a while using other browsers just to get a load of how other browser works.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Does this info still apply? Can this be done with any web-mail system, like gmail or AOL? I have a whole bunch of emails on my private AOL account and I would like to download them to my local drive.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsuperhost View Post
Does this info still apply? Can this be done with any web-mail system, like gmail or AOL? I have a whole bunch of emails on my private AOL account and I would like to download them to my local drive.
Yes I know because I just spent the last 2 hours looking for it. AOL is better for it than gmail since gmail tends to block accounts for over-activity but AOL tends to be more liberal.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the detailed information..

Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the info..

Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Tnx. Very good info

Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Community Leader

Since the thread is many years old, perhaps it no longer needs "thanks".

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Rush to Patch Heartbleed Infects Previously Unaffected Servers Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 15:31:41
Emails Between Google and NSA Suggest Ongoing Cooperation: Reports Web Hosting News 2014-05-07 11:40:32
Rackspace Integrates Mailgun into Cloud Control Panel Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:55:51
Eleven Security Spring Survey: Growing Threat Level of Spam, Malware Web Hosting News 2013-03-26 15:36:50
Phoenix NAP Responds to Customer Feedback with New Cloud Features Web Hosting News 2013-02-19 17:09:09