Need help choosing the best CDN for my needs

I've never had experience using a CDN before besides CloudFlare. I might go ahead and stick with CloudFlare, but since speed is a top priority, other options might be better.

Requirements:

- Must work with SSL
    - Ideally a pull CDN
    - Ideally less than $0.15/GB transfer (I'll be doing less than 1TB for a month or two, but could be up to 5TB or more by this fall)
    - Must have a good distribution of POPs, including Asia (Australia would be very good as well)
    - Optimized to serve small image files

I've heard a lot of good things about MaxCDN, but apparently they don't have any POPs in Asia, so that rules them out. MediaTemple's ProCDN (Edgecast reseller) looked promising, but their FAQ says they don't support SSL. VPS.net looks like it could satisfy these requirements, although I've heard conflicting reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these or know of CDN's that can fit my needs? Finding the right CDN has proved harder than I expected! If this isn't possible at this cost, I can possibly pay more to be able to have APAC.
    Last edited by schooglepets; 06-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schooglepets View Post
    I've never had experience using a CDN before besides CloudFlare. I might go ahead and stick with CloudFlare, but since speed is a top priority, other options might be better.

Requirements:

- Must work with SSL
    - Ideally a pull CDN
    - Ideally less than $0.15/GB transfer (I'll be doing less than 1TB for a month or two, but could be up to 5TB or more by this fall)
    - Must have a good distribution of POPs, including Asia (Australia would be very good as well)
    - Optimized to serve small image files

I've heard a lot of good things about MaxCDN, but apparently they don't have any POPs in Asia, so that rules them out. MediaTemple's ProCDN (Edgecast reseller) looked promising, but their FAQ says they don't support SSL. VPS.net looks like it could satisfy these requirements, although I've heard conflicting reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these or know of CDN's that can fit my needs? Finding the right CDN has proved harder than I expected! If this isn't possible at this cost, I can possibly pay more to be able to have APAC.
    Why don't you just stick with CloudFlare?
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Why don't you just stick with CloudFlare?
    Well as I continued to do more research since the time I posted this, I've started to lean more in that direction. I hadn't realized how many more POPs CloudFlare had gotten. I've been using CloudFlare since last fall and hadn't looked at their status page since then.

Well as I continued to do more research since the time I posted this, I've started to lean more in that direction. I hadn't realized how many more POPs CloudFlare had gotten. I've been using CloudFlare since last fall and hadn't looked at their status page since then.
    Yeah, the seem to be adding two every month or so these days. Miami, London, and Singapore are coming soon (or so they say). I'm sure they will put one in Australia eventually.

You want $0.15 for ultra-tiny commits in aus and asia?

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    At the time of posting I hadn't realized that services like VPS.net were being extremely misleading by not actually including Asia in their listed prices. I'm just curious after doing all of this research how fast CloudFlare is burning through capital considering how expensive the overseas bandwidth is.

Hi,

At the time of posting I hadn't realized that services like VPS.net were being extremely misleading by not actually including Asia in their listed prices. I'm just curious after doing all of this research how fast CloudFlare is burning through capital considering how expensive the overseas bandwidth is.
    We're doing fine

The primary issue with a datacenter in Australia largely has to do with costs. Unless I'm mistaken, the bandwidth costs in Australia are typically at least 3-4x more expensive than we generally negotiate.

The good news, however, is that we do consider new DCs based on where traffic is coming from. If we have a lot of people using the service in Australia and New Zealand, it helps prioritize getting new DCs in place somewhere in the region. The coming datacenter in Singapore should most certainly help things in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by damoncloudflare View Post
    We're doing fine

The primary issue with a datacenter in Australia largely has to do with costs. Unless I'm mistaken, the bandwidth costs in Australia are typically at least 3-4x more expensive than we generally negotiate.

The good news, however, is that we do consider new DCs based on where traffic is coming from. If we have a lot of people using the service in Australia and New Zealand, it helps prioritize getting new DCs in place somewhere in the region. The coming datacenter in Singapore should most certainly help things in the interim.
    Good to hear, and that sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Can you keep us posted on what you find in terms of pricing.
    I heard Limelight delivered from Sydney.
    But it was definitely not at .15cents.
    And an actual premium was tacked on to that price they gave me.

I figured they would go through a 3rd party or something.

Have you tried CDNetworks?

Level3's CDN is the only true CDN that will meet your needs. LW resells it, check it out there.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Level3's CDN is the only true CDN that will meet your needs. LW resells it, check it out there.
    Thanks, I hadn't even seen that LW offered CDN services. $0.2/GB including Asia is probably the best I've seen.

Thanks, I hadn't even seen that LW offered CDN services. $0.2/GB including Asia is probably the best I've seen.
    Yes, Level3 offers CDN services. I think Twitter uses them. And CloudFlare can beat $0.2/gb .

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Yes, Level3 offers CDN services. I think Twitter uses them. And CloudFlare can beat $0.2/gb .
    Right, I knew about Level3, but I didn't know LiquidWeb was a reseller of them. Yes, that is why I will probably be sticking with CloudFlare