Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

* OnApp? Are you using it?

OnApp is definitely an eye-catching solution to putting your services in "the cloud" so I'm just curious how many people are actually using OnApp as a solution to providing cloud web hosting and what they dis/like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Taylor View Post
    OnApp is definitely an eye-catching solution to putting your services in "the cloud" so I'm just curious how many people are actually using OnApp as a solution to providing cloud web hosting
    We are pretty open when it comes to client numbers, there's around 250-270 public clouds based on OnApp. We set 2-3 new clouds live every day.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

We have a cloud in production and we like it. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are comparing this to an enterprise solution:

* No hot storage migration
    * HA is managed by the control system, so you better have a good control system, or one that is hosted on another enterprise solution like vmware
    * The product is still a little green in our opinion. Installation has to happen by OnApp
    * Bug fixes are usually provided directly by their developers SSHing in and editing .rb files to fix the issue, nothing wrong here but usually companies provide patch rollups etc

I think its a great product, it needs to mature for around another year IMO but again, just my 2c.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

We are using OnApp from its very early stage and very happy with it. Support is very fast. can't ask for more. The product has a big future ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post

* The product is still a little green in our opinion. Installation has to happen by OnApp
    From my talk with ditlev, one can have a guide onto how the install happens - at least when i talked to him a few months ago.

I really would love to see vmware support though, thats what it really needs imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mazedk View Post
    From my talk with ditlev, one can have a guide onto how the install happens - at least when i talked to him a few months ago.
    True, it used to be pretty hard to install OnApp, so we preferred to do the install (for free though) to make sure everything was dandy. After 2.1 gold it's just an RPM and a bit, so we are comfortable letting clients do their own installs.
    I really would love to see vmware support though, thats what it really needs imo.
    Yup, we've got 3 major things on the way in 2011...
    - vmware
    - ISO mounts
    - IPv6 support

Honestly, I am not proud that these features are not out yet, but we've had so many client requests on other stuff, like the horizontal/vertical autoscaling and the loadblanancer.org integration that we've kept pushing it again and again...We are getting there though.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    ....horizontal/vertical autoscaling and the loadblanancer.org integration that we've kept pushing it again and again...We are getting there though.

D

Any ETA for these "horizontal/vertical autoscaling" ?
    It will be a great feature to have.

I think, when you bring in vmware support, you will gain a whole new audience for the product - the bigger companies with an already established vmware infrastructure.. Could be very nice for OnApp

Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    Any ETA for these "horizontal/vertical autoscaling" ?
    It will be a great feature to have.
    we've got a handful of clients running it already. The largest being GMOcloud.com. It will be 3-4 weeks before we make a full release.

I think, when you bring in vmware support, you will gain a whole new audience for the product - the bigger companies with an already established vmware infrastructure.. Could be very nice for OnApp
    Yup, I hear ya. OnApp is build for hosters though. I am not trying to be a player in the enterprise scene. Even though we've got a bunch of clients using OnApp outside of the hosting scene - our focus will remain within this industry. And I think for service providers, the hypervisor will be less important than it is now.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Yup, I hear ya. OnApp is build for hosters though. I am not trying to be a player in the enterprise scene. Even though we've got a bunch of clients using OnApp outside of the hosting scene - our focus will remain within this industry. And I think for service providers, the hypervisor will be less important than it is now.

D
    Well, I find that vmware has the best administration options - maybe just cause i lack deeper insight in other hypervisors. Anyways, your product seems very nice already, will look forward to at what the future brings

We have been following OnApp for awhile, and we have a division just starting up with the OnApp software, nothing live in production for clients yet but just testing out the whole interface and the setups of it and all, it's quite a nice solution so far.

I would love for it to support vmware, soon as it does we will be having placed as our main system for our vmware brand, and having it as our main panel and all.

For some reason I thought OnApp already supported IPv6? I hope there's no more delay's and push back's on getting the update's out, I know I'm not on the team that's handling on the onapp software at the moment for our company, but I know that would be a big push back for us if there's no IPv6 support on us releasing it live production.

Personally, I don't think VMWare is that great as a hypervisor. The amount or resources it consumes compared to Xen is just crazy.

From my testing at lease I'm not impressed with it. I don't mean that in a negative way if that makes sense. Xen base in my opinion is just more efficient, and VMWare shouldn't be a huge "tipping" point by supporting it.
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

OnApp
    I'm not familiar about it but I guess it's interesting though!

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    Personally, I don't think VMWare is that great as a hypervisor. The amount or resources it consumes compared to Xen is just crazy.

From my testing at lease I'm not impressed with it. I don't mean that in a negative way if that makes sense. Xen base in my opinion is just more efficient, and VMWare shouldn't be a huge "tipping" point by supporting it.
    Keep in mind we are saying this with the 3.0 beta version of the cloud software we use having VMware support now incorporated. It is just not something that our customers have tripped over themselves to run towards. But who knows, that may change in the future.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Storage migration is a biggie, that's a big plus for vmware setups, especially if you are thin provisioning disk.

Having the ability to hot migrate virtual disks to other connected storage arrays is a massive plus.

OnApp is build for hosters though. I am not trying to be a player in the enterprise scene. Even though we've got a bunch of clients using OnApp outside of the hosting scene - our focus will remain within this industry. And I think for service providers, the hypervisor will be less important than it is now.
    It would be very interesting to see Hyper-V support.

Regards,

Wayne
    Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
    Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
    Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by AI-Wayne View Post
    It would be very interesting to see Hyper-V support.

Regards,

Wayne
    working on it
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Working on all of it

For the record, I / We love onapp.

The team, the support, the innovation, the insight into the hosting industry - born from years of hard core experience - all add up to a rock solid option for hosters - the ONLY option in my humble opinion if you want to offer cloud IAAS.

Save yourself pain and don't shop around - get onapp!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    Storage migration is a biggie, that's a big plus for vmware setups, especially if you are thin provisioning disk.

Having the ability to hot migrate virtual disks to other connected storage arrays is a massive plus.
    There is a fine line between benefits, and resource consumption.

yeah it maybe nice to be able to drive anywhere in town in a monster truck. But 1 mpg isn't practical.

Keep it balanced, and keep it feature rich. I mean that is a good function, We were seeing almost 2 times resources allotments to get the same effect with Xen based hypervisor.
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

I've done a decent amount of work for a company that heavily utilizes OnApp. I've gotten to leverage the platform some and I think it's a pretty good piece of software. The company also likes it alot as well. Their support is responsive and top notch from what I've seen.
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com

Its not a bad platform. when we had to make a choice it was pretty limiting. It's grown nicely tho. After seeing other companies consistantly have SAN's problems. I think a major improvement for OnApp would be to offer a way to do redundant local storage. instead of requiring a SAN's unit.

My personal opinion tho.

We're waiting on our hardware to arrive so we can finally get OnApp installed (we're using it for b2b clients, not consumer hosting e.t.c), looks like one hell of a product ditlev .
    I do things. - Consumer and b2b IT solutions.

Does anyone have any experience with Xen vs KVM on an OnAPP setup? Which one runs better on an OnAPP cloud?
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

I think all/any of the SAN related issues you've noticed are SAN / Architecture choices - not OnApp.

We run it with redundant NetApp clusters and havent had a blip in 27+ months.

Your right, It is the SAN's unit. 3Par Units, HP Units, etc etc.

I just think next step for OnApp would be to have a local disk setup opposed to requiring a SAN's unit to maintain HA.

I have just never seen very high reliability from a single san's unit. Some of the units our customers use are 150k to 750,000 dollars. Maybe they didnt spend enough? hehe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast