Common Problems and Frustrations with Shared Hosting?

What are common problems with Shared Hosting that companies have?
    Also what are things that frustrate you with Shared hosting?

Shared resource usage. But it's hard to get frustrated over $5 a month.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by JCkustom View Post
    What are common problems with Shared Hosting that companies have?
    Also what are things that frustrate you with Shared hosting?
    Honestly I think the biggest frustrations come from expectations not matching reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Shared resource usage. But it's hard to get frustrated over $5 a month.
    It's not that hard because we see it here on WHT daily.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

What were your expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by JCkustom View Post
    What were your expectations?
    Not mine, I mean in general. When I've seen people complaining about shared hosting usually one of the following apply:
    • They paid an extremely small amount of money and expected the world.
    • They paid a decent amount but expected dedicated-server level of system resources available to them.
    Many shared hosting customers really have no idea what goes into making a service work and perform well and as such it's not easy for them to have realistic expectations for the service without the first-hand experience.

There are those who do live and learn and then there are those who go from provider to provider, always blaming the provider and never accepting the responsibility that their site is simply too heavy for a shared environment as-configured.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

stuff i want / annoys me:
    - ipv6 addr for every subdomain
    - ssh by default
    - hate cpanel
    - hate plesk
    - DA is acceptable but barely
    - postgresql
    - mongo
    - nosql stuff, redis, etc
    - cpanel default has some remotedns crap - they want me to use THEIR (on 99.999% of providers) nonredundant nameservers, with no access to anything (no SRV TXT PTR AAAA etc)

Quantumphysics: What is it you specifically don't like about CPanel? Just the general layout/usage of the thing, or the fact it doesn't provide integration with things like Mongo and Redis? I ask because you seem like a competent user who would not really require the panel for anything other than setting up zones and the like.

I debated long and hard over whether I wanted to go the CPanel route and end up probably writing a lot of custom addons, or go ground up. Eventually, CPanel won out, mostly due to user favour. It's interesting to hear from a guy that doesn't apply to.

(FWIW, I'm not the worlds biggest CPanel fan myself, as a user, either.)
    Script Shepherd - Pain-Free Vulnerability Management for Web Hosts
    No more messy cleanup tickets! Launching soon - sign up for the beta today to try us out.

(command line here mainly)

I don't particularly like cPanel because it babies you. 99% of people using cPanel have /etc/remotedns set or something so you can't just point an A over from your own redundant DNS servers.

DNS settings are a pain. As an enduser customer you can only add A or CNAME. I don't like subdomains being domainroot.com/folder. There's no IPv6 support which should have been in years ago. Anything beyond PHP/MySQL it pretty much just.. doesn't work for.

Deploying Rails/Django/etc on cPanel shared hosting is an exercise in frustration.

This is just my opinion, I'm probably not the 'average user', but just saying.

edit: also part of the thing is that while I can submit a ticket for some of those things, I absolutely hate having to do so, it makes me feel kinda guilty due to the amount I pay per month usually

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    - ssh by default
    - hate cpanel
    - hate plesk
    - postgresql
    - mongo
    - cpanel default has some remotedns crap - they want me to use THEIR (on 99.999% of providers) nonredundant nameservers, with no access to anything (no SRV TXT PTR AAAA etc)
    My goodness, so in other words you do not like web hosting? lol
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

I think most of those points (the ones without qualification) were stuff he wants, rather than the whole list being things he doesn't like.
    Script Shepherd - Pain-Free Vulnerability Management for Web Hosts
    No more messy cleanup tickets! Launching soon - sign up for the beta today to try us out.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    - ssh by default
    - hate cpanel
    - hate plesk
    - postgresql
    - mongo
    probably you're running a hosing business yourself?

Downtime.
    Downtime.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics
    I don't like subdomains being domainroot.com/folder.
    That's not something cPanel forces on you. It is an option that a hosting provider could instruct cPanel to constrain for you, but they don't have to. I've used hosts with proprietary control panels with exactly that same restriction, too. Lots of .htaccess work needed to make sure it can't be accessed the wrong way. I agree - it's annoying. But let's not blame it on cpanel
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    That's not something cPanel forces on you. It is an option that a hosting provider could instruct cPanel to constrain for you, but they don't have to. I've used hosts with proprietary control panels with exactly that same restriction, too. Lots of .htaccess work needed to make sure it can't be accessed the wrong way. I agree - it's annoying. But let's not blame it on cpanel
    still, iirc directadmin's default is a /domains/something.com folder?

I do like dreamhost's control panel though. No annoying prefixes in usernames, SSH by default, folders are anything you want them to be, webroots are anything you want them to be

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    probably you're running a hosing business yourself?
    Ha! That's funny in more ways than one.
    [BleemNET] – Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous