Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* Does anyone know some other cheap but good hosting companies?

Hello, again. I tried out a number of hosting companies for the past eight months. I found the following particularly good:

Hawk Host

StableHost

ScalaHosting

Meanwhile, KVCHosting.com has not proved to be as good as these, but so far it has not caused much trouble either.

Mocha Host was terrible at first, but they have improved over time. However, they still have uptime trouble once in a while.

I use a few uptime monitoring services, and when I get an alert, it is usually from a website hosted by Mocha Host. But Mocha always says there has not been any downtime. Perhaps it was a mistake that I paid for three years in advance, but luckily my site there is not that important after all.

2GB Hosting was as bad as Mocha Host, but I use them to host one of my least important websites (i.e. one of my "official" websites) instead of my most important one, which is hosted on a Hawk Host server now.

I still have several websites that have not been hosted on a descent web server. I intend to disperse all of them on different servers run by different hosting companies.

All of my websites are non-commercial websites except a few which represent the nonprofit organization I am associated with. That means none of them produces any money in any way. I just want to make useful information available to other people.

Here is some info about my websites:

Disc space needs more than 200MB (but actually has never exceeded 50MB so far.)

Contents: Mainly texts, but occasionally contains several photos.

Bandwidth: not much (normally 20 to 350 unique visitors daily for each site: when there is a sudden explosion, 700 to 1000 daily maybe, but it does not last long)

If you know any cheap but good hosting companies like Hawk, Stable, Scala, please let me know.
      0 Not allowed!

Is there any particular reason why you look for a different host each time? If you've found one you're happy with, why not take out a second plan with them or upgade your plan to one that allows an extra domain then use that? I've always found it easier to have everything in one place.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog
      0 Not allowed!

* Reasons why I do not put everything in one place

I probably know all the benefits of putting all my websites in one place. But there are reasons why I avoid it and disperse them on different servers, but I cannot disclose them here because my websites are easily found by my name.

In any case, it is extremely troublesome if your hosting company goes under and disappears when you have numerous websites under one roof.

Furthermore, if you get too many visitors, you are forced to upgrade to a more expensive shared hosting plan or even a dedicated server even when your hosting company claims "UNLIMITED" features.

To take one example, I asked a well-known hosting company about it: when I asked about 300 daily unique visitors, they said it would be probably okay. When I asked about 1000 daily unique visitors, they cut me off(line) and did not answer. It was some kind of Gator if I remember correctly. When I get back to ask again, another support person said that if one single client occupies more than 75% of the entire traffic of a server, it means upgrade.

Even if I put together all my websites, it would not take up more than 500 mega bites of disk space, but considering what some kind of Gator said, I could be forced to upgrade immediately.

These are NOT main reasons why I disperse my websites, but I have been doing this for more than ten years, and at least things have been going well enough.
      0 Not allowed!

* It is an honor to be copied

The first several lines that linux-techie wrote are exactly the same as what I wrote on 01-02-11, 12:25 PM.

Being copied is an honor I can't refuse, but I want opinion on other hosting companies.

I have been considering SpeedySparrow myself. Are they related to Hawk Host? Their pictures look very similar. Perhaps the same person drew them, or different people copied the same style.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    The first several lines that linux-techie wrote are exactly the same as what I wrote on 01-02-11, 12:25 PM.

Being copied is an honor I can't refuse, but I want opinion on other hosting companies.

I have been considering SpeedySparrow myself. Are they related to Hawk Host? Their pictures look very similar. Perhaps the same person drew them, or different people copied the same style.
    I believe the same designer designed both of their logos, but they are not related.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee
      0 Not allowed!

I am considering Speedy Sparrow too. Are they related to Hawk Host? Their pictures look very similar. Perhaps the same person drew them, or different people copied the same style.
    Thank you Sennin.

Actually the two companies are not related

We used the same designer for our Mascot but used different designers for the actual design itself, wanted to go the odd approach but sure seems it has been copied a lot lately
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

I would recommend PacificHost, since I have very good experience with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    I believe the same designer designed both of their logos, but they are not related.
    Yeah but their Prices & plans are really similar. I wonder who can fly higher a Hawk or a Sparrow
    sorry, This user doesn't have a signature
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Red_wolf6 View Post
    Yeah but their Prices & plans are really similar. I wonder who can fly higher a Hawk or a Sparrow
    European sparrow or African sparrow?
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
      0 Not allowed!

* My budget

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    I think linux-techie meant to put your post in quotes, and the rest of his post is the reply.
    Yes, right. That post should not be worth copying.

What is your budget this time around?
    Less than about three dollars a month. Five dollars a month would be too expensive for me, but one dollar a month seems to be no good because I have had bad experience with 2GB Hosting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I am trying out SpeedySparrow. But they are having route issues. Their server is working fine, but connectivity is extremely slow since I live in Japan. More than three times slower than that zero-zero-zero webhost dot com kind of free webhosting service. I did traceroute and WinMTR and sent reports to them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

While investigating this issue, I found out that StableHost and Scala Hosting are very fast when accessed from Japan. Hawk Host is just about the same as zero-zero something. To view a 5.7MB image, it took the following time:

Hawk Host: 30 to 33 seconds

StableHost: 22 to 23 seconds

Scala Hosting: 20 to 23 seconds

Zero Zero Zero Something free dot com: 27 to 34 seconds

XREA (ancient low-spec web server in Osaka, Japan): 13 to 14 seconds

Note: This NEVER applies to areas outside Japan. People living in other countries should disregard the above stats completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to summarize these statistics and my experiences on my websites someday. You may want to see them if you are interested.
      0 Not allowed!

Currently I am trying out SpeedySparrow. But they are having route issues. Their server is working fine, but connectivity is extremely slow since I live in Japan. More than three times slower than that zero-zero-zero webhost dot com kind of free webhosting service. I did traceroute and WinMTR and sent reports to them.
    It seems to be an issue around the current location, (Japan), and the areas of their surrounds. Presently these issues are not carrying on outside of this area and connectivity and routing issues are working fine.

We have received the information as requested and we are just awaiting the outcome from the Datacenter to follow up on these issues, it is currently being addressed so we do hope to have an answer for you very soon.

Do you mind if I ask, how long does it take for those loading times to kick in for our service?
      0 Not allowed!

* Loading time for SpeedySparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Do you mind if I ask, how long does it take for those loading times to kick in for our service?
    That 5.7MB image?

SpeedySparrow: 90 to 210 seconds

Actually I measured the loading time three times:

1st time: 103 seconds

2nd time: 90 seconds

3rd time: 210 seconds

I just measured it for the 3rd time, and it was 19:57 in Japan at that time. The first two times were around 4 o'clock in the morning. I was very sleepy. Likewise, all the stats for the other hosting services were measured around 4 o'clock in the morning in Japan.
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds like it's definitely worth waiting to see if Speedy Sparrow can resolve it with their data centre - that kind of problem should be solvable if they are good in every other respect.
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds like it's definitely worth waiting to see if Speedy Sparrow can resolve it with their data centre - that kind of problem should be solvable if they are good in every other respect.
    We've done some local testing and it does seem it is related to issues in Japan itself, however, we are waiting further updates by the datacenter before we can make any real judgment on it
      0 Not allowed!

* Japan - USA routing issue

Personally I didn't like it when Sean said that the problem was inside Japan and therefore could be impossible to solve.

Technologically speaking, Japan's Internet infrastructure is just as advanced as that of the United States. Perhaps more people use broadband connection such as optical fiber networks or ADSL networks in Japan than in the United States. Almost no one uses slow telephone lines to connect with the Internet in Japan now.

In any case, when a similar problem occurred at zero-zero-zero webhost dot com kind of free webhosting service before, the problem was taken care of immediately.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | WinMTR statistics |
    | Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    | My home is here. - 0 | 231 | 231 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 133.160.192.242 - 0 | 231 | 231 | 32 | 35 | 62 | 35 |
    | 133.160.192.38 - 1 | 227 | 226 | 36 | 38 | 66 | 37 |
    | 133.160.240.157 - 1 | 227 | 226 | 36 | 43 | 65 | 45 |
    | 133.160.182.87 - 0 | 231 | 231 | 36 | 38 | 64 | 37 |
    | 133.160.100.6 - 0 | 231 | 231 | 36 | 39 | 63 | 42 |
    | xe-4-0-0.a21.tokyjp01.jp.ra.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 36 | 48 | 223 | 146 |
    | ae-7.r25.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 36 | 52 | 133 | 58 |
    | ae-1.r20.tokyjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 37 | 43 | 79 | 37 |
    | as-1.r20.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 126 | 143 | 171 | 147 |
    | ae-0.r21.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 1 | 227 | 226 | 125 | 145 | 204 | 149 |
    | ae-3.r22.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 201 | 225 | 291 | 233 |
    | ae-2.r05.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 231 | 231 | 196 | 219 | 236 | 230 |
    | xe-1-0-1.ar2.nyc3.us.nlayer.net - 2 | 218 | 215 | 300 | 324 | 352 | 312 |
    | as25653.ge-0-0-3.ar2.nyc3.us.nlayer.net - 11 | 155 | 138 | 239 | 270 | 447 | 431 |
    | 208.116.63.171 - 17 | 133 | 111 | 338 | 364 | 387 | 350 |
    | This is where SpeedySparrow's nest is - 15 | 142 | 122 | 0 | 356 | 374 | 342 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

----------------------------------------------------------------

Then I just got this e-mail from SpeedySparrow saying:

It appears that one of our upstream providers (nLayer) is experience some problems with traffic from your area. We are currently trouble-shooting this with nLayer and we hope to have this resolved as soon as possible.

When I look at the MTR stats above, nLayer is certainly having a problem, and it looks like it is in the United States. "ntt.net" probably refers to the Japanese telephone company "NTT". If so, NTT is taking care of this traffic from Japan to the United States, and they seem to have no trouble at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Personally I didn't like it when Sean said that the problem was inside Japan and therefore could be impossible to solve.
    Sennin, I have updated your ticket.
    What Sean was referring to is that the issue is localized to traffic from your area. We have continued to trouble-shoot the issue and are working with our upstream provider to resolve the packet loss you are seeing from Japan.

Please take note that we will not be able to provide support via WHT, so ensure to keep your ticket updated with the information we have requested in order to trouble-shoot the issue. Please do provide the information requested at your earliest convenience.
    l Spiral Hosting Limited • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2003
    l Leading UK and Ireland Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.SpiralHosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

I used fatcow before and my current provider is arvixe, I have to say they're so far so good.
      0 Not allowed!

* Problem with SpeedySparrow resolved

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To Sparrow-Eric

I know I don't get support from SpeedySparrow by posting here. I just updated info so that people reading this thread would understand the situation better.

I got e-mail at 1:22 and 1:51 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) while I was sleeping. Those e-mail messages were asking me to send them some kind of PING report. I was not able to send them that report because I was fast asleep. Then I seemed to get yet another e-mail message at 5:05 a.m.(JST) telling me that the issue was fixed. I learned it at 9:50 a.m.(JST). Thank technology.

I ran WinMTR, and there seems to be no packet loss anywhere now.

5.7MB image loading time is as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------

SpeedySparrow: 23 seconds

Actual time: 23 seconds, 23 seconds, 23 seconds

Looks good.

For comparison, I measured the loading time of the same image file for other web hosting services, and I got very interesting results. All these and above ones are measured between 10:00 to 10:20 a.m. in Japan.

Hawk Host: 27 to 28 seconds (actual time: 28, 28, 27 seconds)

2GBHosting: 15 seconds (actual time: 15, 15, 15 seconds)

It looks like 2GBHosting really improved a lot. It used to be 40 to 60 seconds when I registered. At that time the uptime was so bad (their server was down due to overload several times a week) that I had to complain a lot. Then they upgraded their server by increasing RAM. Then the loading time became 24 to 25 seconds. Now it is 15 seconds. There is not much difference between that nearby ancient low-spec XREA web server in Japan (CPU: T7200 2GHz x 2 / RAM: 2GB) and the distant 2GBHosting web server now. I have got to renew my contract with 2GBHosting, I mean, unless something bad comes up again.
    Last edited by Sennin; 06-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you Sennin for the update on the matter.

I am glad to see the issue has been corrected especially from 90 seconds down to a completely better result of 23, generally the loading for ours will be a little higher as we have our servers based on the East Coast of the US so the all round results look SUPERB!

I do apologize for the inconvenience, we do try our best and thanks to DedicatedNOW's Support for assisting in this little issue
      0 Not allowed!

* MochaHost Discommended

Yes. I am all too happy, too, to learn that 5.7MB image loading time has now been reduced from 210 seconds to 23 seconds.

But I am totally shocked by MochaHost today. One of my websites was down for about 46 minutes. It is hosted by MochaHost. I contacted MochaHost support 10 minutes after it started to be down. Here is the script:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Anastasia'

Anastasia: Welcome to MochaHost's Live Help ! How may I help you ?

Sennin: Your server is down many times these days.

Sennin: You should take better care of your servers.

Anastasia: we are currently working to fix it

Sennin: Your server was down many times for the first few months. Then it became all

right for a while. But after that it began to get back to this state again. I have to go

now. But if you keep doing this, you will be out of business very soon. Bye.

Anastasia: I will be right with you.

Anastasia: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Anastasia: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Sennin: Just how long are you planning to keep me waiting?

Sennin: I am very sorry, but I suspect that your company is already dead.

Anastasia: i dont have concrete ETA

Anastasia: we are doing our best to fix it asap

Sennin: How may I help your dead company?

Anastasia: your site is up

Anastasia: check it

Sennin: I thought you guarantee 100% uptime.

Anastasia: we have 99.9% uptime guarante

Anastasia: guarantee

Anastasia: and we had a temporary issue which is fixed at the moment

Sennin: Then see these statistics:

Sennin: www.sennin-no-hyakka*****.co* ---------------------------------------------

------------------------- date uptime dns connect request ttfb ttlb 2011-06-13 97.94 0.009

0.031 0.032 0.221 0.221 2011-06-12 100.00 0.010 0.031 0.032 0.540 0.540 2011-06-11 94.90

0.009 0.029 0.029 0.693 0.693 2011-06-10 95.88 0.009 0.030 0.031 0.327 0.327 2011-06-09

94.95 0.008 0.062 0.062 0.251 0.252 2011-06-08 97.94 0.009 0.032 0.032 0.480 0.480 2011-06-

07 100.00 0.010 0.032 0.033 0.656 0.657 2011-06-06 98.97 0.009 0.031 0.031 0.258 0.258 2011

-06-05 100.00 0.009 0.034 0.035 0.488 0.488 2011-06-04 98.97 0.009 0.030 0.030 0.350 0.350

2011-06-03 100.00 0.010 0.031 0.031 0.432 0.432 2011-06-02 97.92 0.008 0.029 0.029 0.752

0.752 2011-06-01 97.94 0.008 0.029 0.029 0.111 0.112 2011-05-31 97.94 0.009 0.062 0.062

0.296 0.296 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- minimum

94.90 0.008 0.029 0.029 0.111 0.112 maximum 100.00 0.010 0.062 0.062 0.752 0.752 average

98.10 0.009 0.035 0.036 0.418 0.418 -------------------------------------------------------

---------------

Sennin: Your uptime is 98.10% on the average. It is not 99.9%

Anastasia: because we had an issue today

Anastasia: now its fixed

Sennin: That is not for today. That is for the past one week. Before that, your

average was 96.85%. Far from 99.9%.

Sennin: Correction. That is not for today. That is for the past two weeks. Before

that, your average was 96.85%. Far from 99.9%.

Anastasia: i will inform our technical support about that thank you

Sennin: If you have time, you had better kiss your colleagues good-bye because I

suspect your company is going to die soon.

Anastasia: okay

Anastasia: Is there any other question I can help you with?

Sennin: No. But saying that you had a special problem today cannot be used as an

excuse to avoid taking responsibility for your uptime guarantee.

Anastasia: i have already informed our technical support about your statistic

Anastasia: It was pleasure serving you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any

further questions. Have a good day/night !

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.

They terminated the chat abruptly without even asking me. They probably did not want to talk about their uptime guarantee.
    Last edited by Sennin; 06-14-2011 at 10:59 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

To Sparrow-Eric

I know I don't get support from SpeedySparrow by posting here. I just updated info so that people reading this thread would understand the situation better.

I got e-mail at 1:22 and 1:51 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) while I was sleeping. Those e-mail messages were asking me to send them some kind of PING report. I was not able to send them that report because I was fast asleep. Then I seemed to get yet another e-mail message at 5:05 a.m.(JST) telling me that the issue was fixed. I learned it at 9:50 a.m.(JST). Thank technology.

I ran WinMTR, and there seems to be no packet loss anywhere now.

5.7MB image loading time is as follows:

SpeedySparrow: 23 seconds

Actual time: 23 seconds, 23 seconds, 23 seconds

Looks good.

For comparison, I measured the loading time of the same image file for other web hosting services, and I got very interesting results. All these and above ones are measured between 10:00 to 10:20 a.m. in Japan.

Hawk Host: 27 to 28 seconds (actual time: 28, 28, 27 seconds)

2GBHosting: 15 seconds (actual time: 15, 15, 15 seconds)

It looks like 2GBHosting really improved a lot. It used to be 40 to 60 seconds when I registered. At that time the uptime was so bad (their server was down due to overload several times a week) that I had to complain a lot. Then they upgraded their server by increasing RAM. Then the loading time became 24 to 25 seconds. Now it is 15 seconds. There is not much difference between that nearby ancient low-spec XREA web server in Japan (CPU: T7200 2GHz x 2 / RAM: 2GB) and the distant 2GBHosting web server now. I have got to renew my contract with 2GBHosting, I mean, unless something bad comes up again.
    Out of curiousity can you PM me your domain or let me know which server your on? The speeds you mention aren't bad however we have 4 different locations so you *may* be able to go to a location with better routing for your region (IE: Seattle, San Jose).
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor
      0 Not allowed!

Well, if repetition is an indication of the main point, it sounds like they'll be right with you.
      0 Not allowed!

That repetition continued for 50 minutes

Well, if repetition is an indication of the main point, it sounds like they'll be right with you.
    That was really funny.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I saw Sennin's OP discussing some reliable and cheap web hosting companies. I then thought I would check out Hawk Host, and see what their features are. As I was looking at their features list, I saw that SSI (Server Side Includes) support (does or does not) was not listed. So I went to their Live Support page. Here is my conversation in entirety...

John J.: Hi there! How may I assist you?
    John H-----: Hi, I'm wondering about your featuers for a web hosting account. I'm looking at your features page, and I don't see Server Side Includes listed. Are Includes supported on your system?
    John J.: Can you be more specific with "Includes?"
    John H-----: SSI, Server Side Includes
    John J.: One moment please...
    John J.: I'm unable to find an answer to your question. If you would like I can submit a ticket for you so that I can get an answer a little later in the morning.
    John H-----: Please do...
    John J.: May I have an email you can be reached at
    John J.: Are you still with me?

(15 Minute break while I got a cup of coffee)

John H-----: xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    John J.: I have your answer
    John J.: We do support SSI
    John H-----: Ok, thank you.

Are SSI's not used that often that a base level sales rep wouldn't know what SSI's are? That really turned me off to their service. Just thought I would share this experience with you guys.
      0 Not allowed!

* Hawk Host

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    Out of curiousity can you PM me your domain or let me know which server your on? The speeds you mention aren't bad however we have 4 different locations so you *may* be able to go to a location with better routing for your region (IE: Seattle, San Jose).
    I never thought Hawk Host person would be here.

In any case, I updated my profile so that you can see my domain hosted by your service. You can check it out and do whatever you deem necessary if you want to.

I probably chose Washington, D.C. because 2GBHosting support staff said that Washington, D.C. would be the best place of all and that Seattle is closer to Japan but that connectivity there is rather bad.

If you move my website to another location, please make sure that I can get back to the original server in case things does not turn out good.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast