Pingdom Alternative

I am using Pingdom and would like to use another services to double check on accuracy. The chance of having 2 services reporting false positive are very slim.

What other good services are there? Preferably free.

I look at Hypersin but it seems like $12/Month for 1 Min polling is a bit expensive when i get it free from Pingdom.

Panopta looks very good, apart from the fact there signup page has an error for 48 hours already. ( That already put marks down on the services ) and are expensive at minimum of $15/ month.

Any other suggestions?

alerta.com ? been using it too
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

alertra.com are incredibly expensive.
    Try BinaryCanary if you don't need public statistics.

I have a BinaryCanary account as a second check as well. Their free plan allows for up to 5 checks in 15 minute intervals.

Hi WickedFactor, can you provide more information about BinaryCanary.

Quote Originally Posted by iwod View Post
    I am using Pingdom and would like to use another services to double check on accuracy. The chance of having 2 services reporting false positive are very slim.
    Keep in mind that a "false positive" may not be "false" -- if Pingdom or another service is showing your servers as "down" -- it may be that the route that they are using to get to you is experiencing issues. This may be affecting a portion of your customer base, so it may be important to take note of such an issue and work to resolve it.

Also, if it's that important, it may be worth spending a few dollars on a reliable service.
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    IFlex Data Center.: FlexData.Center
    Northern Virginia & Washington DC Area Data Center Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by iwod View Post
    Panopta looks very good, apart from the fact there signup page has an error for 48 hours already. ( That already put marks down on the services ) and are expensive at minimum of $15/ month.
    We haven't found anything better than Panopta. The signup page seems to work ok for me - maybe drop them an e-mail at support@panopta.com and see if they can register an account for you manually.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry wilson View Post
    Hi WickedFactor, can you provide more information about BinaryCanary.
    I'm not sure what else there is to say. You can get a free account so I would just sign up and see how you like it.

Thanks for you reply WickedFactor.

Some time ago as far as I know there were hostracker widely used for this purpose and I suppose you may use that as well for your own goals.

BinaryCanary is extremely good. I personally love the Nagios OpsView setup - that's only really good if you have somebody at a desk 24/7 to watch it though. There is a nice FireFox plugin to send you alerts

My Quick Search shows 1 minute polling will indeed cost money. I have been using pingdom free without knowing the market price.

My closest search was BinaryCanary, cost $5 . month and offer 1 minutes polling. However it offers no Twitter or iPhone Apps. Generally i find Twitter / iPhone Push Notification much more reliable then email.

The next candidate would be uptimerobot. 5 minutes interval, and it is free.

I see if i find anything else.
    Last edited by iwod; 06-06-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Another one, monitive.com

Cost $5 per month and offer 1 minute polling over many different locations.

Seems a better choice then BinaryCanary since they do offer Twitter alert. However they are still relatively new, and a serach on WHT shows NO results.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    We haven't found anything better than Panopta. The signup page seems to work ok for me - maybe drop them an e-mail at support@panopta.com and see if they can register an account for you manually.
    Thanks sirius, it looks like a recent update to our website caused one of the paths to the signup page to break. This has been fixed and in no way interfered with our monitoring and alerting. iwod, if you run into any trouble signing up, PM me or email support@panopta.com and we'd be happy to help.
    Panopta | Never Blinks
    Advanced Server Monitoring and Outage Management Solutions

http://www.panopta.com | sales@panopta.com

Another option for those seeking one, nz based company but with nodes all over the world - http://sentinelmonitoring.com/

No, I'm in no way affiliated to them, and yes I have used them for testing. The interface is really quite slick and uncomplicated.

You can also install Zabbix and run your own service