Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Baltic Servers [[billing issue]] - Asking 50Euro for backups ..Please help

I have been a customer of baltic servers since 6months(approx.) never had any problem except downtimes. Since last 4days they have shutdown my server without any reason ..saying fake reason 'iptables' is ddosing another server. This fake reason was shown not only to me ..but also to other customers of baltic whom they wanted to scam .. and also previously in this forum someone already posted about this type of scam of baltic.

2days back, They gave me backup for 4hours .. but i couldn't backup in that time because of too many images on the server. Now all i wanted is more backup time and i have paid service till 14th. Now, They are balckmailing me to send 50euro ..then only they will unsuspend server.

What should i do ? Contact United Nations Human rights Commission ?

or Should i file fraud report to bank and chargeback . And block their merchant paypal so no they can't scam more victims?
      0 Not allowed!

Pay the 50 Euro and chargeback the 50 Euro later.
      0 Not allowed!

Be Aware of this Company! It's a Big Fruad giving 0% supports and just downtime. I was also a client of baltic but suddenly they shutdown my vps saying that i am Ddosing other sites when i talked to Manager he said no ur sites has been Ddosed that's y we shutdown ur Vps. Admins saying something different and managers different. When i asked for Backup they also want to pay Xtra fee. but ThANKS God i got the backup and move to a new host.

Bad host don't choose Baltic at all u jus loss your money nothing else.
      0 Not allowed!

seems to be alot of misscommunication between the staff. I get charged more than usual and they told me i was playing games with them and told a big fat lie about me ordering and canceling ips every month. Which is untrue and i told them to check my emails sent to them as evidence. After that the rude manager never admitted he told me a lie and never apologized. They never replied back.

Also one manager gave me 2 free ip free of cost when the other manaager decided to charge me for those free ips months after. i asked the manager 4 times if the free ips is invalid but he never ever respond to my question instead he just tell me the price per ip is 80 cent. He never aknowledged my question at all.
    When i explained that to the manager 6 more times that the other sales manager gave me the free ip and asked for clarification he just respponded "ok" and left the chat.
    Whats the concerning matter is when i emailed he said he fixed the invoice but instead he just removed the invoice for this month but i still have to pay for the new price.

So yes the balticserver has lack of communication with each other and bad organization

another bad thing with this company is they dont have tech support for the weekends. It happened that my server was down during the weekend and the "manager" told me the techadmin will be available on monday to investigate the downtime.
    Last edited by Maikon; 06-05-2011 at 05:36 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

wow! I am sorry to hear of all your difficult time. hope all works out well for the OP.
    www.Hostd8.com "Where the client comes first!"
    Ultra Fast Unmetered Dedicated Servers
    Ultra Fast VPS's
    Budget Line Shared Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    HORRIBLE HORRIBLE terrible unethical bad advice.

Do you conduct business this way?

To the OP:

1) If the files are worth that much to you pay it. If not, don't. Either way make sure you have offsite backups in the future and you won't have this happen again.

2) I am going to assume you are joking about contacting the UN but don't waste anyone's time trying to make a big deal out of this.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post

To the OP:

1) If the files are worth that much to you pay it. If not, don't. Either way make sure you have offsite backups in the future and you won't have this happen again.

2) I am going to assume you are joking about contacting the UN but don't waste anyone's time trying to make a big deal out of this.
    Based on how it is being explained, you are encouraging him to give in to blackmail? This company should be exposed if this is a scam they engage in.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

To the OP:

I disagree with you that this was "Horrible terrible unethical bad advice"

The company did not provide the services that was paid for that should be active until the 14th and then brought up a seemingly bogus excuse (confirmed by another member) to terminate clients and asks for "backup retrieval" fee. This was confirmed several times by several members here.

Based on what was said, the only unethical practice engaged here is by the company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HBK216 View Post
    Based on how it is being explained, you are encouraging him to give in to blackmail? This company should be exposed if this is a scam they engage in.
    Perhaps they should be exposed but I can say with 100% certainty that at least in the country I live in and I assume others that what you are suggesting is ILLEGAL. I don't think it is, I know it is and I know of specific cases where people have been found guilty in court for doing what was suggested.

IT IS BAD ADVICE.

You cannot agree to pay for something then knowingly turn around and chargeback to obtain that service or product for free. It is called FRAUD here and I would hate to have some perhaps well meaning but confused member of this thread suggest for someone to do something illegal.
      1 Not allowed!

I disagree with you that this was "Horrible terrible unethical bad advice"

The company did not provide the services that was paid for that should be active until the 14th and then brought up a seemingly bogus excuse (confirmed by another member) to terminate clients and asks for "backup retrieval" fee. This was confirmed several times by several members here.

Based on what was said, the only unethical practice engaged here is by the company.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are still wrong to suggest they commit a crime.
      0 Not allowed!

I argee with Coolraul, Theirs way TOO much chargeback talk on these boards as of recent, Paypal doesnt cover intangible goods and certain banks will not entertain doing chargebacks over pocket change...
      0 Not allowed!

You cannot agree to pay for something then knowingly turn around and chargeback to obtain that service or product for free. It is called FRAUD here and I would hate to have some perhaps well meaning but confused member of this thread suggest for someone to do something illegal.
    Very true, this is indeed considered fraud. A chargeback can be raised against an unauthorized transaction or where the paid for services have not been yielded.

If you authorize the payment and then try to charge it back, you are committing fraud or at the very least wasting your bank's time, both of which banks don't like. Not to mention that the cost of raising the chargeback is likely going to be 20 - 40% of the 50 EUR this is all about.

Find a different solution.
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps they should be exposed but I can say with 100% certainty that at least in the country I live in and I assume others that what you are suggesting is ILLEGAL. I don't think it is, I know it is and I know of specific cases where people have been found guilty in court for doing what was suggested.

IT IS BAD ADVICE.

As I understand it, a signed contract or "agreement" under blackmail or duress is illegal and can be nullified. It is well within his right to chargeback, the credit card company will determine if it is a valid chargeback or not based on the blackmail activity. There is no fraud involved when initiating a chargeback.
      0 Not allowed!

Either way make sure you have offsite backups in the future and you won't have this happen again.
    This point should really be getting more attention.

I'd even go as far as to say if you don't have offsite backups you deserve to lose your data.

Ethics of this specific situation aside, you should be able to walk away from a server offline for any reason (Billing dispute, server failure, datacenter failure, hacking/defacement) and re-establish your business from backups. If you can't do that, then you've implicitly declared your data has no value and can be lost without consequence.

If you get caught playing it fast and loose with customer data, then you're going to be stuck paying for the resulting consequences either in lost business, data recovery fees (in the case of failed hard drives), or questionable fees like the one being discussed here.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."
      0 Not allowed!

There is no fraud involved when initiating a chargeback.
    Sorry, But if you pay for a service solely to receive said service then issue a chargeback, Yes that is fraud

I.E:
    That is fraud!
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.
      0 Not allowed!

I also heard chargebacks through bank/credit card can effect your credit rating, is it really worth it for 50 euros?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Sorry, But if you pay for a service solely to receive said service then issue a chargeback, Yes that is fraud

I.E:

That is fraud!
    I don't feel it is fraud, the reason for the chargeback is not "unauthorized" usage of the credit card, the reason will be for blackmail, extortion, under duress, etc. and if the credit card company agrees with my position, then they allow the chargeback, if they do not agree, then they will deny the chargeback. There is no fraud involved when initiating a chargeback.

When you file a chargeback, you have to give a statement on why you are doing so, if the OP explains that they are filing a chargeback for the reasons given truthfully, how is that fraud?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by parky1 View Post
    I also heard chargebacks through bank/credit card can effect your credit rating, is it really worth it for 50 euros?
    I don't know where you heard that but that is simply not true. Think about it. If somebody used my credit card fraudulently, my credit rating will take a hit? We as consumers are protected under federal law for these type of issues such as identity theft, unauthorized use, etc.

Looks like there are a lot of misunderstanding on what a chargeback is and nobody fully understand what rights they have when they use credit.
      0 Not allowed!

You can pay it under protest and win your money back in court. Make note when/if you decide to pay their blackmail that it's under protest.
      0 Not allowed!

This is really a difficult situation. If its very necessary then pay it and transfer the files asap. And then do some -ve marketing for them as you are doing now.
    Otherwise if you have some back up and you feel the damage is not much then, kick them and start again.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't feel it is fraud, the reason for the chargeback is not "unauthorized" usage of the credit card, and if the credit card company agrees with my position, then they allow the chargeback, if they do not agree, then they will deny the chargeback.

When you file a chargeback, you have to give a statement on why you are doing so, if the OP explains that they are filing a chargeback for the reasons given truthfully, how is that fraud?
    So two wrongs make a right does it?

the reason will be for blackmail, extortion, under duress, etc.
    The OP will have to visit a lawyer if this is present.

There is no fraud involved when initiating a chargeback.

Thats the thing this kind of chargeback would be fraudulent because of your intent to cause harm.

Its abit like going out purchasing a nice $3000 TV going home and charging back the payment because want it for free...

Fraudulent Charge-Back schemes

There is a class of email spam (usually sent to commercial / corporate email addresses) where the spammer makes an offer to purchase goods (usually not specifically identified) from a vendor. In the email, the spammer makes it clear that they intend to pay for the goods using a credit card. The spammer provides the shipping address for the goods, and requests a product and price-list from the vendor in the initial email. It has been speculated[by whom?] that this is some form of charge-back scheme, whereby the spammer is using a valid credit card but intends to request a charge-back to reverse the charge while at the same time retaining the goods that were shipped to them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_...e-Back_schemes
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-06-2011 at 07:27 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    So two wrongs make a right does it?
    Two wrongs? Don't think so! The host is clearly wrong here and if the credit card company sides with the OP, then the only side that is wrong is the host.

The OP will have to visit a lawyer if this is present.
    This is such a small amount that it would fall under small claims, that is if the OP chooses to escalate it to that. But a chargeback I believe should be more than enough to resolve this blackmail issue.

Thats the thing this kind of chargeback would be fraudulent because of your intent to cause harm.

Its abit like going out purchasing a nice $3000 TV going home and charging back the payment because want it for free...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_...e-Back_schemes
    Nope. The OP's intent would be to get back the money that was blackmailed from him. Contracts and agreements that are entered under blackmail and duress are illegal and considered nulled/void.

A bit like going out purchasing a $3000 TV and charging back? I don't think so. Was any element of blackmail or duress involved? Didn't think so.
      0 Not allowed!

And that link you posted is totally different from the situation here. I think you need to do more research before taking up this argument.
      0 Not allowed!

The host is clearly wrong here
    Theirs two sides to every story.

And that link you posted is totally different from the situation here. I think you need to do more research before taking up this argument.
    Why exactly, You have basicly said pay the money get the backups once you have the backups on your local machine file a chargeback, This is fraudulent no matter how you look at it.

If said company is using such wrong business practices such as blackmail then the correct route would be to seek legal advice from a lawyer not issuing unlawful and unnecessary chargebacks in order to gain a copy of said backups...
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-06-2011 at 07:49 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast