Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    To expand on what Aldryic said:

We're a small team and I like it that way - I really hate hiring new staff. I base a lot of my things on 'Can we easily handle an emergency if we have abcd clients? We can? OK how about abcde?'. It's fine to hope nothing bad will happen (power outages, bad hardware, etc) but the reality of it is that things do happen and we want to make sure we're at the top of our game and not running around like chickens sans head.

We make a very very very healthy profit and have grown a frantastic community to boot. Yes, in the end we're missing out on business but if everyone has noticed, no one around here can cause the demand spur that we can Countless hosts copy/mimic our plans or try to start the same 'community' that we have and fail horribly. We're unique in every way and I'm damn proud of our work

Francisco
    Well it sounds like you have your priorities straight, which is so rare in our society, and especially on this board, that it confused the hell out of me. My motto in life is that if you have all the things you need (a bed to sleep in, food to eat, etc.), and some of the things you want, that's all you ask for in this life (as far as material things go), and beyond that, what matters is enjoying the journey.

I wasn't suggesting you switch to an auction model, but that giving preference to a client that offered to pay you more was perfectly legitimate, as it's effectively an auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldryic C'boas View Post
    I've said it several times already, I guess you guys missed the other threads.... we're not in this to make a massive profit. In fact, most of us don't even pull a paycheck from this gig. We do this because it's fun, and we enjoy it. We could honestly care less what others charge, our main priority is:

Sure, we could easily afford to do several builds a season, and keep stock flowing at an impressive rate. But why would we want to? I've already established that we're not in this for the profit, and exhausting ourselves that much would rob the fun as well.

I don't think your post is going to give anyone confidence. Anyone who needs a VPS for more than play is going to interpret what you said badly.

I've been waiting to buy a VPS through you guys for awhile but since I have some important websites, hearing that some of your staff don't even get paid or that you guys are 'doing this for fun' doesn't sit well for me.
    Last edited by shoes; 05-31-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoes View Post
    I don't think your post is going to give anyone confidence. Anyone who needs a VPS for more than play is going to interpret what you said badly.

I've been waiting to buy a VPS through you guys for awhile but since I have some important websites, hearing that some of your staff don't even get paid or that you guys are 'doing this for fun' doesn't sit well for me.
    They can interpret it any way they'd like, and if they wish for clarification I'll be more than happy to elaborate :3 Our record and reputation speaks for itself, and settles any doubt my poorly worded bouts of public regurgitation might create

No longer affiliated in any way with Frantech/BuyVM

Thanks for the non-answer and anime smiley faces, I guess.

You're more than welcome to actually, you know, ask a question if you'd like a direct answer more than my silly commentary =)
    Last edited by Aldryic C'boas; 05-31-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typographical fail

Some don't since some of them are just IRC staff and just get a VPS for free or things like that As owner I don't take a wage for the time being as I'd rather just re-invest it. Our billing & support reps, though, get a salary.

We do this as a business and we have a lot of fun doing it. I'd be way more worried if my hosts wasn't enjoying their job/work.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Fran, I think you killed my aspiring troll

Um. So quoting you and saying your post made me uncomfortable as a potential client is me being a troll. Gotcha.

How unprofessional. How are you allowed to represent a company with posts like that?

Francisco: thanks for the clarification! You always seem reasonable.

How are you allowed to represent a company with posts like that?
    You asked directly, so I'll do the courtesy of answering the same

Generally (despite my occasional grammatical deficiency or failure to properly get a concise, efficient point across ) I'm permitted to interact with the community to show an example Francisco's unique staff. We're very community-oriented, and we all love a good laugh; yet we know when it's time to `put on the tie` and get down to business.

If you would permit me to be so bold as to respond to your assumptive statement ("Um. So quoting you and saying your post made me uncomfortable as a potential client is me being a troll. Gotcha."): I was addressing the fact that you brought up particular sections of my post, and yet made no mention to the remainder of said post, the reading of which would've effectively quelled your unease. From a logical eye, one can see that I explained our business practice (offer the best, at what we feel should be a fair price); I touched on our financial stability (all bills paid since Feb.); and even hinted at our more whimsical side.

But clearly sir, it is apparent to me that I am an unsatisfactory representative for your needs, so I shall withdraw to your favour! Please feel free to direct any further requests for information or clarification to our ticket system, or to Francisco, who will be happy to publicly clarify at your level of comfort.

--random side note
    Someone once told me, "Don't feed the trolls". Mais why? Antifreeze works wonders :3

@Aldryic,

You are a funny guy!

You asked directly, so I'll do the courtesy of answering the same

Generally (despite my occasional grammatical deficiency or failure to properly get a concise, efficient point across ) I'm permitted to interact with the community to show an example Francisco's unique staff. We're very community-oriented, and we all love a good laugh; yet we know when it's time to `put on the tie` and get down to business.

If you would permit me to be so bold as to respond to your assumptive statement ("Um. So quoting you and saying your post made me uncomfortable as a potential client is me being a troll. Gotcha."): I was addressing the fact that you brought up particular sections of my post, and yet made no mention to the remainder of said post, the reading of which would've effectively quelled your unease. From a logical eye, one can see that I explained our business practice (offer the best, at what we feel should be a fair price); I touched on our financial stability (all bills paid since Feb.); and even hinted at our more whimsical side.

But clearly sir, it is apparent to me that I am an unsatisfactory representative for your needs, so I shall withdraw to your favour! Please feel free to direct any further requests for information or clarification to our ticket system, or to Francisco, who will be happy to publicly clarify at your level of comfort.

--random side note
    Someone once told me, "Don't feed the trolls". Mais why? Antifreeze works wonders :3
    Every time I get an email from Aldryic, it makes me scared that Frantech got taken over because of all the legal mumbo jumbo. Of course, just a dip in IRC reassures me that Aldryic is still there and Frantech is still insane . I think it's great that the host has such a good community interaction, and as a consumer, you can choose EXACTLY what interaction you get, if you want professional, go with e-mail or tickets, if you want casual, stay on the forums or IRC. I'm super excited for when BuyVM opens up their forums to see what exactly it'll be like. If you don't like the way they do business, GREAT! More for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sailerboy View Post
    I'm super excited for when BuyVM opens up their forums to see what exactly it'll be like.
    well... i hope they have a jav section on it
    please cmiiw always

Those of you have a real daytime job... and perhaps a good history and something to show-off on your resume... let me ask you this - if you are not having fun at your job, basically you won't be enjoying it, and if you are not enjoying it you will be waking up to a headache daily. Personally I don't want my subordinates coming into work and thinking "FML". My .02.

Fran and Aldryic (and the team) always appears to be cheerful one. They like what they doing and personally I do not see anything wrong with that. They have a good reputation and history, it does speak for itself like Aldryic said.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Curiously, do buyvm.net community members on irc have any issue with Filipinos? I read a lot of jokes / slights just hanging out in there for a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by freelancewebdev View Post
    Curiously, do buyvm.net community members on irc have any issue with Filipinos? I read a lot of jokes / slights just hanging out in there for a couple of days
    Craig could answer that best, being a Filipino himself

Probably the best way to put it would be `We don't discriminate.. we'll pick on anybody`. We're firm believers in lighthearted fun, but if anything seems to cross the line or bother you, just let us know, and we'll tone things down a little

Disclaimer: By entering the IRC community, be prepared to hear racial/ethnic jokes targeted at caucasians, blacks, jews, Filipinos, japanese, chinese, other-asian, girlhands, americans, russians, and pretty much anyone else we can think of. Including Canadians... we rag on Francisco constantly It's all in good fun, but we do realize people can get carried away sometimes. If something offends you, just let the person saying it know. Our little community is a pretty reasonable bunch :3

Quote Originally Posted by freelancewebdev View Post
    Not as much now but for many years i'd say 75%+ of our customer base was entirely that. I'd say most/all of the jokes wrap around a certain game, ragnarok online

Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

you just can't hate on frantech / buyvm

A hosting company warning about racism and sexism, that's a new low.

A hosting company warning about racism and sexism, that's a new low.
    The IRC channel isn't listed as a direct support medium or anything like that There are warnings on multiple places that conversations of really anything and everything happens in there. Many times they're tasteless jokes or it's about gaming or other things.

It's an entirely different experience/etc than what we'd do on a forum and such but that's also probably why the channel gets more and more users each week

Francisco

Craig could answer that best, being a Filipino himself
    i'm not a pinoy

but i have some Philippines friends there on their irc, and they are really cool dudes

we as customer get used to help each others there everytime we have a problem with vps, script, installation etc...
    even you can talk and share your pets pictures there
    please cmiiw always

Quote Originally Posted by craig joe View Post
    i'm not a pinoy
    Haha, I know, I just couldn't resist messin with ya

Thumbs up

Gotta get in quick when they release stock! I've got a couple of VPS's with them now very happy so far!

I love how every single thread on WHT about buyvm turns into a "OMG HOW LONG UNTIL STOCK I WANTZ NOW NOW NOW NOW!"

upgrade

If we pick the $3.50/month plan, will we be able to upgrade anytime we want in the future or do we have to wait for the stock to be replenished.

Quote Originally Posted by tosh9i View Post
    If we pick the $3.50/month plan, will we be able to upgrade anytime we want in the future or do we have to wait for the stock to be replenished.
    You won't have to wait on public stock, but upgrades do depend on resource availability. That being said, we have a tenancy to under fill for this very reason, so in all likleyhood you'll be able to upgrade at your leisure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast