Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Need Help In An Unmanaged VPS ..

Hello Everyone,

I Am Looking forward To buy a VPS server from semoweb.com Because its cheap and i can only afford that much now ..
    Its an unmanaged VPS ..

Well They Have a Default Installation on Apache on the server with Kloxo control panel ..

Well I am A Newbie in VPS .. i was used to be shared hoster ..

I need to know what other software i need to install ..

And How To Install It on the server .. Tutorials Will Do

Thanks In Advance Everyone ..

Warm Regards
    Chirag Dodiya

Also Any Past Customer Reviews of Semoweb .. Will be Helpful

Thanks Again ..

One of the reasons it is cheap is because it is unmanaged.

Maybe contact them if they can manage your vps? That is the better way if you are new to VPS.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

There are so many positive reviews about them. They are doing a very well job indeed. They charge $15 for management. For further details try to contact them directly.
    HostinPK.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting
    cPanel/CWP | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept PayPal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, and Bank payments

Quote Originally Posted by luckyshah283 View Post
    I need to know what other software i need to install ..
    It depends on what you intend to do with your VPS. Most Linux OS already have the most common applications installed.

And How To Install It on the server .. Tutorials Will Do
    Depending on the chosen Linux OS the install procedures can be a little bit different. It's recommended to have at least some basic Linux knowledge when going with an unmanaged VPS.

Free control panels like Webmin or Kloxo can help you with managing your VPS. I suggest to buy a good Linux book and/or searching the internet for tutorials how to run a Linus OS.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

agree with TomTomson.
    in fact the kloxo and other control panel already make you easily to manage your VPS. Perhaps as start you need to spend some money to get someone to manage for you. Once you familiar the unix environment, you can manage yourself.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

You can get a managed VPS for the same price from HostRail. Not too sure what the uptime will be like though.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Never heard about semoweb . Also let me know what problem you are facing with and which applications you want to install?.

agree with TomTomson.
    in fact the kloxo and other control panel already make you easily to manage your VPS. Perhaps as start you need to spend some money to get someone to manage for you. Once you familiar the unix environment, you can manage yourself.
    Yeah They Are Currently offering Kloxo Control Panel .. And Thats What i am gonna get ..

And With Kloxo Already Installed ..
    Do I Have To install Sendmail, Php, etc ...

Yeah They Are Currently offering Kloxo Control Panel .. And Thats What i am gonna get ..

Everything will be installed with kloxo i.e. php, apache, sendmail etc etc.

You can find kloxo tutorial on following page.

http://cupre.info/index.php/2010/11/...d-guide-part1/

I purchased from them a week ago And now I'm learning little by little, they're also friendly so don't worry if you have troubles but remember that you have to install the other things such as firewall (which I just did) what I can recommend you though, since we're in the same boat, if in case you choose Kloxo use Lighttpd, djbdns and bogofilter It uses less ram I hope I'll learn more things about using vps in the long run and you too!

Managed servers are a must if you dont know what your doing.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

So you have gone from managed shared hosting to an unmanaged VPS where things need installing Via SSH, Etc...

Seriously your asking for problems!

I purchased from them a week ago And now I'm learning little by little, they're also friendly so don't worry if you have troubles but remember that you have to install the other things such as firewall (which I just did) what I can recommend you though, since we're in the same boat, if in case you choose Kloxo use Lighttpd, djbdns and bogofilter It uses less ram I hope I'll learn more things about using vps in the long run and you too!

Nice to hear that someone is hear who had some good experience ...
    I am Learning About VPSes now ...

So you have gone from managed shared hosting to an unmanaged VPS where things need installing Via SSH, Etc...

Seriously your asking for problems!
    I have not Bought it yet .. but i am thinking of it .. as my site is currently running on shared hosting .. I need some better solution for my site in the long run ...

Get webmin, which is a free control panel - it'll help you out in big not just to manage the system, but also learn.

Go on their website and follow the easy install instructions from the ssh prompt.
    [BleemNET] – Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

Get webmin, which is a free control panel - it'll help you out in big not just to manage the system, but also learn.

Go on their website and follow the easy install instructions from the ssh prompt.
    Yeah I Have Tried Webmin Demo .. Its Good .. but they Are giving me Kloxo Already ... So Its Optional For me To Install webmin

Nice to hear that someone is hear who had some good experience ...
    I am Learning About VPSes now ...
    Good luck! I'm still on the process of learning as well. If you have any trouble though, you can always search google and of course wht, the home of hosting experts xD hope you'll enjoy your vps once you have it

Good luck! I'm still on the process of learning as well. If you have any trouble though, you can always search google and of course wht, the home of hosting experts xD hope you'll enjoy your vps once you have it
    Yeah ... VPS Are Of Course better Then Shared Hosting .. you Dont Have To Worry About Your email Limit ..

And i am Soon Gonna Buy VPS From VPS once i am Satisfied With Their Requirement ..

Gonna Need Your Help...
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

I have not Bought it yet .. but i am thinking of it .. as my site is currently running on shared hosting .. I need some better solution for my site in the long run ...
    Well, in addition to Kloxo itself, you will need some security software to not make yourself an easy target. Consider mod-evasive, mod-security, APF, and chkrootkit (yes, all of them).

After installing Kloxo you will want to do your operating system updates with yum. To stay current. you will need to setup a cron job to run yum (yum -y update) every day.

Then there are the tweaks. First, Apache doesn't include the right handlers for cgi & pl files. If you don't believe me then try to run a chi script and see for yourself; Apache will display the cgi file as if it were a text file instead of running it. To fix that, add handler type "cgi-script" for both cgi & pl. files to Apache.

If you will be handling email for small businesses then you will need a secondary DNS server. If you don't have one and the primary DNS server goes down, email will be returned to the sender (not good for business). When a secondary DNS server exists the sending mail server will hold it and retry again later (much better for business).

Spamassassin isn't installed by default, but you should add it to keep your mail server under control.

Then there is memory management. A Kloxo install will require up to 400 mb of memory, but that can easily be reduced to half that with proper configuration. We have another thread going in this forum about that right now.

Those are just a few major things that will require attention. The point people are trying to make here is that managing your own server is a big job. Getting a Kloxo machine up to what you have now with your shared hosting account may take more than you realize.

Well, in addition to Kloxo itself, you will need some security software to not make yourself an easy target. Consider mod-evasive, mod-security, APF, and chkrootkit (yes, all of them).

After installing Kloxo you will want to do your operating system updates with yum. To stay current. you will need to setup a cron job to run yum (yum -y update) every day.

Then there are the tweaks. First, Apache doesn't include the right handlers for cgi & pl files. If you don't believe me then try to run a chi script and see for yourself; Apache will display the cgi file as if it were a text file instead of running it. To fix that, add handler type "cgi-script" for both cgi & pl. files to Apache.

If you will be handling email for small businesses then you will need a secondary DNS server. If you don't have one and the primary DNS server goes down, email will be returned to the sender (not good for business). When a secondary DNS server exists the sending mail server will hold it and retry again later (much better for business).

Spamassassin isn't installed by default, but you should add it to keep your mail server under control.

Then there is memory management. A Kloxo install will require up to 400 mb of memory, but that can easily be reduced to half that with proper configuration. We have another thread going in this forum about that right now.

Those are just a few major things that will require attention. The point people are trying to make here is that managing your own server is a big job. Getting a Kloxo machine up to what you have now with your shared hosting account may take more than you realize.
    Wow ... There A Lot of Stuff i have To realize Before Buying a VPS ..

Thanks For The Help ..

i Think a better Solution is to Outsource the VPS management .. That Could Cost A Lot ...

Yeah ... VPS Are Of Course better Then Shared Hosting .. you Dont Have To Worry About Your email Limit ..

And i am Soon Gonna Buy VPS From VPS once i am Satisfied With Their Requirement ..

Gonna Need Your Help...
    Sure, anytime

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post

Good advices, thanks! I have CSF now though, I'll research about chkrootkit I have seen it once while looking for a firewall to use Luckily I will only be hosting a few personal sites (plus only to learn a bit with how to use a vps) because it sounds challenging and it would be great to learn new things

I did notice Kloxo uses up lots of ram, good thing there are tweaks we could do and lighter version of Apache, dns and spamassassin

Taking notes of your other advice :> Thanks!

Wow ... There A Lot of Stuff i have To realize Before Buying a VPS ..

Thanks For The Help ..

i Think a better Solution is to Outsource the VPS management .. That Could Cost A Lot ...
    I've documented most of what needs to be done.

http://entomy.com/VPS-Server-Configuration-Guide.pdf

That document is a work in progress, but if you do everything in that guide you'll have a reasonable hosting platform.

Quote Originally Posted by uriko View Post
    I did notice Kloxo uses up lots of ram, good thing there are tweaks we could do and lighter version of Apache, dns and spamassassin
    1. Spamassassin doesn't require that much in the way of resources, but ClamAV does. Since clamd requires around 100 mb to run, you might consider living with out it. But you want Spamassassin.
    2. I'm partial the the BIND DNS server because I'm familiar with it, but as long as an alternate DNS server does the job I have no objection.
    3. I wouldn't give up Apache if I was contemplating running a hosting service. Your experienced customers can tell the difference.

I've documented most of what needs to be done.

http://entomy.com/VPS-Server-Configuration-Guide.pdf

That document is a work in progress, but if you do everything in that guide you'll have a reasonable hosting platform.
    Thanks For The Guide i have Downloaded it ... Gonna Learn it Tonight ..

Good advices, thanks! I have CSF now though, I'll research about chkrootkit I have seen it once while looking for a firewall to use Luckily I will only be hosting a few personal sites (plus only to learn a bit with how to use a vps) because it sounds challenging and it would be great to learn new things

Taking notes of your other advice :> Thanks!
    Yeah Right .... I Just Love to learn new Things everyday .. think That,s why i am Here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast