Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$.75 a month hosting?

Has anyone tried Ramhost's $9 a year hosting? They seem to be fairly reputable, but it's still $.75 a month. How can they even offer services at this price and still be in business?
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Has anyone tried Ramhost's $9 a year hosting? They seem to be fairly reputable, but it's still $.75 a month. How can they even offer services at this price and still be in business?
    If you try it out, maybe you will figure it out and you can let us all know.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    If you try it out, maybe you will figure it out and you can let us all know.
    But I don't have that kind of money!

I want to, but I would have to use a credit card/paypal to do so; and I'm prohibited from using it unless I'm dieing ()or I don't have food... or something like that.

Oh, how I wish I was 18 and could do what I want with my own money... sigh .

So you're just asking out of curiosity then... Perhaps you should have posted here then...
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

They could possibly make the service up elsewhere, they could lower it in a shared environment but might elevate it onto something else, who knows.

Multiple possibilities, maybe RAMHost might give some insight :$
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

What makes you think that they are making money? Look at you, a minor that cant pay 9 dollars a year for hosting. The person running that business is probably paying for his server with his allowance that his parents give him.

Quote Originally Posted by nonprofit-worker View Post
    What makes you think that they are making money? Look at you, a minor that cant pay 9 dollars a year for hosting. The person running that business is probably paying for his server with his allowance that his parents give him.
    His clients are hoping he doesnt get grounded. Thats serious downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by nonprofit-worker View Post
    What makes you think that they are making money?
    They sell shared hosting as well as budget VPSs, and from some of his posts on forums and elsewhere, it looks like he and his team are doing fairly well.
    Look at you, a minor that cant pay 9 dollars a year for hosting.
    I can, I just need a valid reason (and this doesn't count). I don't have a website in dev. right now that I would want to put on a $.75 a month hosting account.

The person running that business is probably paying for his server with his allowance that his parents give him.
    Not according to their website:
    Our staff have years of IT experience and stay abreast of evolutions in the industry...
    They have many more servers than you think.

1) The $9/yr plan includes 1GB of storage.
    2) Colo at Wholesale Internet is priced ultra-aggressively.
    3) Hard drive manufacturers practically pay you to take hard drives off their hands these days.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

It's a bargain deal, however it's limited as you can tell from the space and bandwidth provided. However it seems to show a well grounded company behind it.

If they have a VPS with several accounts on it they can almost give away space as the account is already paying for itself. What kind of service you get with a $9 account is a good question.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

funny thing is paypal is probably making more money in paypal fees =)

Quote Originally Posted by ianmillar View Post
    funny thing is paypal is probably making more money in paypal fees =)
    I'm sure they require you to pay annually, as paying .75 each month would just be ridiculous.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

I think I figured it out how it could work.

Take 1 server and never stop adding accounts to it, once its overloaded older clients will simply leave. The new clients coming in will not know, the old clients will leave so you get a perpetually overloaded server that takes in as many accounts as clients leave. The more clients enter, the more overloaded, the more will leave. It balances itself! At those prices, one could pump in several hundred clients a month.

So the story goes with overly cheap hosting...will they ever learn.
    Last edited by WebsitePlex; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

With coupon, I took out a ~$10/year account with Semoweb. So far, that's been fine. My full detailed review is pending, will write it up in June. It works well enough for a personal blog and little hobby site. So it's possible to get a cheap account with a decent small host, and be okay.

That's more than the $1 I paid for 3 years of hosting with Hostable. (That one works well enough, too.)

If you need better/faster servers, it's for business use, etc -- then you'd want to go with a premium type of host.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Well I think its safe to say they probably aren't making money off that particular package. Its probably just a tool they use to attract new clientele, with hopes of upgrading them later on down the road?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

I would really have to research a company with that cheap of a plan before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    I think I figured it out how it could work.

Take 1 server and never stop adding accounts to it, once its overloaded older clients will simply leave. The new clients coming in will not know, the old clients will leave so you get a perpetually overloaded server that takes in as many accounts as clients leave. The more clients enter, the more overloaded, the more will leave. It balances itself! At those prices, one could pump in several hundred clients a month.

So the story goes with overly cheap hosting...will they ever learn.
    One flaw: reviews. People would write reviews about their services and how crappy it is. But there isn't any bad reviews about it. People are using it, at least that was what the owner says .

One flaw: reviews. People would write reviews about their services and how crappy it is. But there isn't any bad reviews about it. People are using it, at least that was what the owner says .
    Well, as the old saying goes, "Any publicity is good publicity"

While I don't 100% agree with it, a negative review just means a company gets to provide their side of the story and have their link mentioned multiple times within a particular thread.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

A 1GB shared hosting for less than a buck? Wow shared hosting is getting cheaper nowadays huh?

Let me chime in here since this thread is about us

1) We use CloudLinux on our shared hosting servers, which, due it it effectively preventing a few clients from hurting performance for everyone, allows us to put more accounts on a server than might otherwise be possible under normal configuration (we also have a shared hosting server with Lightspeed on it for the same reason but we're phasing out Lightspeed as CloudLinux is much better).

2) Due to our size we own all our hardware and purchase server co-location by the full cabinet. We pass these savings on to our clients.

3) We have flat rate bandwidth (so bandwidth is effectively free since whatever doesn't get consumed by our usual vps hosting business can be used for shared hosting among other things).

4) Shared hosting isn't our primary business - it is essentially operated on spare capacity leftover from our regular VPS business that would otherwise go unused. So shared hosting doesn't really cost us anything aside from software licenses and a small amount of support time. We could put only 100 $0.75 accounts on one server ($75/mo) and it would be profitable for us (note that we do put more than the equivalent of 100x $0.75 accounts on one server as our shared hosting servers can more than handle the load from 100 tiny shared accounts).

5) Our $0.75/mo shared hosting plan supports only 2 domains, no incoming email, no mailing lists, and no CGI scripts. It's a crippled account and somewhat of a come-on to our more expensive accounts, but it isn't a loss leader for us

6) Payment on the $0.75/mo account is annually of course

7) To all those concerned about quality: the usual high quality service we offer applies to our shared hosting service as well

8) Support: admittedly, we offer less support on our shared hosting services compared to other providers on these forums (ie: we don't install scripts, we don't do migrations to/from other providers, etc) - for these prices we do expect our clients to have a basic idea of what they are doing

9) Our CP1 server with just over 100 accounts (of varying size) on it:

Code:
    root@cp1 [~]# ls -1 /home | wc -l
    root@cp1 [~]# uptime
     01:00:07 up 26 days,  3:51,  2 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.70, 0.56
    root@cp1 [~]# top -n 1 | grep Cpu
    Cpu(s): 23.7%us,  4.9%sy,  0.4%ni, 69.2%id,  1.1%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.6%si,  0.0%st
    root@cp1 [~]#
    As you can see, not even close to overloaded.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here or contact us directly.
    Last edited by ramnet; 05-27-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

"ramnet", you are really offering the cheapest price for shared hosting plans. After reading your explanation how you are able to offer this price I believe you have good number of client with same price. But I want to ask, there is CPU uses limit for a particular account in shared hosting plan.

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    there is CPU uses limit for a particular account in shared hosting plan.
    On our shared hosting accounts cpu use is fair share (with fairness enforced by CloudLinux).

Simply put, the more cpu you use, the slower your own site will load. Completely fair, and just like on a dedicated server. Busy sites from neighbors on the server won't affect the speed of your own site and vice-versa
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

I can see this working quite well actually, the only downside I would see from this at any point would be that of "Fees" for receiving payment and what method of payment is received at a percentage.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    I can see this working quite well actually, the only downside I would see from this at any point would be that of "Fees" for receiving payment and what method of payment is received at a percentage.
    Well, you're not actually paying $0.75 each month, you're paying $9 one time for the full year. So the fees, in that essence, would be minimal.

Unless you were referring to other fees, and not PayPal/processing fees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast