Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Need High-End, High Uptime VPS

Hello again.

A while ago I posted a thread because I was looking for a new VPS. Long story short, I need a much larger VPS now than I did back then (and in the mean time, I changed to a more powerful package at the same company). Also, I know a lot better what I need.

• At least 1 GB RAM.
    • Would like 100 MBit/s unmetered (can go with 50 MBit/s unmetered), at least 10 TB free or a maximum of US$ 0.05 per GB (free in/US$ 0.1/GB out also possible). Current use is 5 TB/month.
    • Disk not as important, 10 GB is already sufficient.
    • At least two cores of at least 1.5 GHz. Four are a plus.
    • Crazy uptime. Really important. Outages make me
    • Most of the traffic is US, UK and CA but I'm in Europe so a east coast location (if US) or a location near Germany (if Europe) would be good.
    • Needs a Geekbench score of higher than 5000 (not sure how that translates but the VPS I use now has almost 5000).
    • Price could be around 100 € a month.

I don't actually care if it's cloud or VPS as long as the uptime is there.

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot

If uptime is major a concern, Have you thought about using a decent cloud provider?

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    If uptime is major a concern, Have you thought about using a decent cloud provider?
    Not many of the clouds are super solid anyways. Amazon has had their share of explosions, same with vps.net, rackspace & gigenet.

At the price he's looking for he could just get a dedicated in Europe. Hetzner has some cheap deals and you can upgrade to 10TB/m for a few bucks more.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

You should look into EuroVPS for that.

However, I don't know that "unmetered" is realistic from higher-quality host.
    Just pick something above your current use.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

You may also want to look into getting dedicated server, you have a nice little budget. It's more reliable then vps, you don't have to worry about other people over loading the server.

Try MediaLayer.com. They fall into your price range, maybe a few bucks over for 2+ cpu cores.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

ClubUptime?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    At the price he's looking for he could just get a dedicated in Europe.
    Agree. Why not use dedicated server
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Don't spend 100€ on a VPS. High-end and high uptime can never go with a vps. No provider can guarantee that on a VPS. Any other vps on the server can bring down the machine any time. It's really the same old thing. The hosting industry has never done a good job educating its clients...and often pays for it in money and reputation.

Get a dedicated server...but then your budget is not even near to high-end and high uptime.

Bandwidth cost for VPS alone is not cheap.
    As suggest by others, why don't you get a dedicated server. since you afford to to up to 100 € a month, better look for dedicated server.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    Don't spend 100€ on a VPS. High-end and high uptime can never go with a vps. No provider can guarantee that on a VPS. Any other vps on the server can bring down the machine any time. It's really the same old thing. The hosting industry has never done a good job educating its clients...and often pays for it in money and reputation.

Get a dedicated server...but then your budget is not even near to high-end and high uptime.
    I disagree with this strongly. Done properly a VPS can be very very stable.
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

Please explain "done properly". Also tell us if the "done properly" can be profitable for a business and a price for a vps done properly, considering the OP's requirements.

If a vps resides with other vps on a machine it is hard to have complete isolation. And when I'm talking about isolation I mean dedicated resources ( hardware and network ) and then provide that type of resources so it could be called high-end and with high-uptime and provide all this for 100 €.

In any case please tell us.

You can get excellent uptime with standard VPSs too, just have to find the right provider is all. Cloud is just a bonus, again, with the right provider.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Having the right hardware, software and setup.
    Enterprise hardware means enterprise uptime.

You'll be surprised at how much cheap and cheerful hardware is floating about in hosting...
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

Sounds like Clustered.net would more than fit your bill — their support is excellent and the prices are extremely reasonable (they almost seem too reasonable, although I guess their offering no low-end plans keeps things profitable).

UK-based, but they aim for superb latency to the US and this seems to hold true. Uptime is great, transparent, and SLAd.

Really can't complain at all. I've been squeezing phenomenal performance out of them with my Nginx-PHP-MySQL configuration on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit (I recommend this over 10.10 as this is a long-term release which will be supported for years, whereas 10.10 isn't and won't be).

Thanks all for the many replies, I'll answer them here in one post

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    Yes, but the only ones that I thought might work were Softlayer (expensive), Gandi and CloudSigma.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    At the price he's looking for he could just get a dedicated in Europe. Hetzner has some cheap deals and you can upgrade to 10TB/m for a few bucks more.
    I'm not totally against a dedicated, but I don't like wasting power so a VPS might be more efficient. You are right about Hetzner, I thought about them.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You should look into EuroVPS for that.
    Sorry, they don't have any recent Linux distros.

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    You may also want to look into getting dedicated server, you have a nice little budget. It's more reliable then vps, you don't have to worry about other people over loading the server.
    I don't see why a dedicated server is automatically more reliable than a well-done VPS. I've heard crazy stories about the hardware dedicated servers are put together from.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstVPN View Post
    ClubUptime?
    What versions of Ubuntu do they support? They don't say on their webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteServs View Post
    You need to go with dedicated server
    Don't think so. I could easily double the current load on this VPS without really pushing things and I'm not even on the biggest VPS package HostEurope offers.

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration View Post
    You'll be surprised at how much cheap and cheerful hardware is floating about in hosting...
    Dito.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Sounds like Clustered.net would more than fit your bill
    Not sure. The free traffic is very little, they don't say which OSes they support and what traffic overages cost.

Quote Originally Posted by johann View Post
    Sorry, they don't have any recent Linux distros.
    Ask them. Contact sales.
    Ubuntu is honestly a non-standard Linux hosting OS. (More of a desktop distro.)
    But many hosts will do it if asked.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I don't know why some of you don't get it. There is no virtualization technology used usually by hosts that offers total isolation. This is why a dedicated is always a better option. You can continue thinking of the VPS the way you like it but you obviously have a wrong idea.

I like it when people around here invent things. Today we have invented...or better reinvented...the "well done"...the "well done VPS". I have asked before the definition of the well-done vps but I got no reply. There is no well-done VPS. There are only good and bad choices of the host during hardware provisioning, setup, sales, management etc.

Serious hosting companies want to do the things well but there is a limiting factor that is called profit. This is why before I have asked the price of a "well-done" VPS with the requirements of the OP. I got no reply of course.

So leaving apart the promoting and/or self promoting posts in this thread, you are trying to make a person believe ( i think he already believes it ) that a VPS is better than a dedicated. It's a shame really.

note: you already know the hardware of your dedicated when you order...so no surprises there.

I guess it depends. For the same money my vote would be for a high-end VPS with a reputable provider running high-end CPU, and RAID 10 disks with good I/O over a cheap dedi provider with low-end hardware and a single disk or RAID 1.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I don't know why some of you don't get it. There is no virtualization technology used usually by hosts that offers total isolation. This is why a dedicated is always a better option.
    You're not going to get a 2-4 core machine suited for high availability for 100/month, which is the OP's budget. At that budget, VPS is his only option.

And frankly, you're wrong in that some hosts can move VMs (without taking them down) if there's a hardware failure. You will not get that level of HA out of a single dedicated server.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    You're not going to get a 2-4 core machine suited for high availability for 100/month, which is the OP's budget.
    Agree. Already said this in this thread.

At that budget, VPS is his only option.
    Yes, but not a high-end + high uptime vps. Because there is not such thing. High-end has one and only meaning and a VPS can never be high-end by its nature. If you mean high-end a vps that is not provided by a budget provider and has allocated much more cpu and ram...then...I'll agree..go on and get your "high-end" VPS.

And frankly, you're wrong in that some hosts can move VMs (without taking them down) if there's a hardware failure. You will not get that level of HA out of a single dedicated server.
    Ok, now we put in the mix another word: HA. High availability has nothing to do with what the OP has asked. He asked high uptime. HA is a totally different concept and what you say...moving the vps on another node...cannot be defined as a high availability solution. Frankly has nothing to do with high availability. The solution to move the vps on another node is just a logical solution to an evident problem and has nothing to do with a by design solution for HA.

Actually the vps thing as a concept is all against high availability. More VPSs on a machine add more failure points to the system.

High availability can be achieved by using mainly dedicated servers. Bastard solutions can exist with the use of virtual machines, but then you have more parameters to consider and more points of possible failure.

Hardware problems are common to the VPS and dedicated world. If your dedicated has cheap hardware it's mainly your fault. VPS nodes have usually better hardware mainly for one reason: be able to handle a lot of virtual machines and not because your host has decided to be generous with you.

wow, so I guess the 4-5 VPS accounts that I have that have had uptimes of over 1+ year each (and one of them WAS from a low end budget VPS provider) are flukes? When I hear someone describe a "well-done" VPS I take it mean that it's from a hosting company that hires quality staff that know their stuff, they manage their nodes very well so that they minimize the potential for downtime, they follow industry best practices, they are prepared for issues and they communicate and treat their customers well.

Yes a VPS is a different product then a dedicated, but to say that you can't have a VPS that can provide it's users with high uptime is a bit off base. I know plenty of people who's dedi is not very stable (for plenty of reasons, bad OS/Software choices, bad hardware/driver choices, etc...).

I know my Knownhost VPS has amazed me with the uptime over the last 2 years.

Being generous has nothing to do with it. KnownHost has excellent disk I/O, speed, and uptime. My VPS node was definitely not oversold and configured to perform. I'd pick their VPS for RAID 10 data protection and support over a low-end under-powered dedi any day of the week.
    Last edited by TheJoker; 05-20-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I definitely consider VPS to have high uptime and of course be high end

plenty of choice:
    clubuptime, cleverkite, knownhost, futurehosting, hostv, hostgator, and many more
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast