Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eCommerce software advise & recommendation

We looking to for a new eCommerce software to use on a new site,
    we dont know what software to use as the base, we have seen 3 free softwares (prestashop, opencart, magento) we are also looking at paid software, theres to many to have a look and make my mind up so i want to ask people who use them daily.

Im not 100% but
    We would like it to looks something http://www.johnlewis.com/
    No need to change software if thinks pick up for us.
    modern web 2.0, no bugs in the software.
    easy to use front &backend,
    has all the fearutes need for any new site,
    SEO optimized, looks professional like some bigger site,
    ongoing updates, some support,
    Google Checkout / Sagepay
    easy link to tweeter and facebook,
    maybe live chat and skype
    we may want want some other feature.

the reason we asked about free software is most designers will recommend free or custom platforms, after speaking to a few local developers most use free or custom, we don't want to use custom because we dont have any information on them, and other developers will not know about them, im open to paid suggestions.

Magento is not bad
    Affordable Linux Server Managament Solution
    To order : http://www.linuxnetworkcare.com
    Contact :[ AIM : xerophytev] [MSN : support@linuxnetworkcare.com][ Phone : 647-722-5303 ][skype:ksutha5]

I don't know enough about you to make a specific recommendation. However, I WOULD like to suggest that, in order to get valid recommendations and avoid confusion, you might want to correctly identify what it is you are looking for.

"I'm lookng for ecommerce software" is way too generic, kind of saying "I'm looking for a motor vehicle". What kind? Truck? Car? Economy? Luxury? You get the idea.

What I gather you are looking for here is SHOPPING CART SOFTWARE Not to be confused with a gateway or merchant account, which are also necessary but completely independent components of an ecommerce solution.

I think the first distinction you need to make is whether you are looking for a locally hosted cart (installed on your own sever). This would be something like X-cart or Magento.

Otherwise, you could use a remotely hosted cart (hosted on the cart providers servers, usually with a subscription). Something like BigCommerce or 1shoppingcart.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Although it's a bit of an oversimplification, the general rule is a locally hosted cart is a bit harder to get setup but will give you more control, where a remotely hosted cart is easier to setup and may be a bit easier to support, but depending on how it's designed you may give up a bit of control and certainly wouldn't be able to customize the source code for custom functions.
    David Goodale
    Merchant Accounts.ca
    Canada's merchant account provider.
    Toll free: (888) 414-7111 ext. 5 | Direct: (905) 901-2254

Magento is by far one of the most powerful ecommerce platforms available. Do yourself a favor though and pick up a book on Magento before even attempting to build anything with it. Its a fantastic piece of software, but also one of the most complicated for the admin. Just a heads up!
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

yes, magento is good ecommerce software. But you can also read e-commerce software review for more options.

Just want to wish you a patience because as far as I can see you are not a coder and look for a best option, unfortunately you will need to spend time on adjusting any I will repeat any software will it be free or paid to your needs. The time frame depends on a quality of a software and support service.

majento
    oscommerce
    zencart
    pristecart

Magento is good for this type of large ecommerce website.

I can join the majority and say that Magento commerce shopping cart software will be the best option for you OP.. Trust me!
    Have a fun with online game on worldpaygold . com!

Is there any difference between opencart and magento in respect of performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLH-Ken View Post
    Magento is by far one of the most powerful ecommerce platforms available. Do yourself a favor though and pick up a book on Magento before even attempting to build anything with it. Its a fantastic piece of software, but also one of the most complicated for the admin. Just a heads up!

Yeah, magento commerce will be perfect solution for running ecommerce sites.. Highly recommend it.

I would say go with magento. Although, I have yet to see many things bad about volusion. It's hosted so I do not know if that would be an issue. We love magento however, but the only thing that sets it back is its lack of affiliate marketing solutions. Once it has that, it will be very close to perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    Is there any difference between opencart and magento in respect of performance.
    There have been rumors that Opencart is better in this aspect, but, I don't believe everything I hear, but I would be surprised to hear that magento is worse when it comes to performance, considering it is enterprise standard.

Quote Originally Posted by miliscent View Post
    Performance can be had, you just need to make sure you find the proper host who specializes in it like:

Don't even think about trying to run it anywhere else, or it will run painfully slow and not hold up under any load.
    Utterly false. You can host a shopping cart at any host that offers php/mysql. It will only perform poorly if you're:
    a) on a bad server, with other customers abusing resources (happens at even the best and/or biggest of hosts)
    b) un-optimized code (ie. leaving everything set to default)
    c) adding addons/contributions that bloat the code or are not properly optimized
    d) no indexes on mysql tables; large database (large databases *need* indexes!)

Quote Originally Posted by gpl24 View Post
    Utterly false. You can host a shopping cart at any host that offers php/mysql. It will only perform poorly if you're:
    a) on a bad server, with other customers abusing resources (happens at even the best and/or biggest of hosts)
    b) un-optimized code (ie. leaving everything set to default)
    c) adding addons/contributions that bloat the code or are not properly optimized
    d) no indexes on mysql tables; large database (large databases *need* indexes!)
    LOL ok dude. I agree with you that in general your suggestions are valid. But not for Magento. We manage 200+ magento stores currently and it's obvious that you are inexperienced with it.

I currently using easy.my . It may not power as prestashop but it would be easy to use .
    What i see the special from easy.my is it design out with template, payment gateway and shopping cart , billing and member manage. What you need is just put the product and pricing in there. Beside that most unique is it able to link to facebook which it able to list in the facebook fan page like the shopping cart from your website. That amazing.

maybe use prestashop, can't fault it apart from does take a liitle getting used to how things work but the prestashop forum is full of people who will help you for free.
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

my men's accesorry site is built by zencart. easy to use. it is free,open source.not bad

Magento is most recommended by people. You can give it a try if the script meet your requirement? I am considering it also.

You didn't say how large the storefront is going to be and you didn't say what your budget is. But under the circumstances I would recommend X-Cart at the lower end of the budget. X-Cart is pretty easy to use and modify and the company gives you a small amount of different templates you can use and it can be hosted fairly inexpensively. At the higher end of a budget I would recommend Magento but it is more difficult to work with and due to higher resource use it may cost you more to host the cart.

Let us know what you decide to use.

With all the criteria you indicate. Magento is the most capable ecommerce platform to do the job. With it's feature rich, flexibility, scalability and robust you have the all the control over the look and functionality of your online store.
    Last edited by goldenspiralstudios; 07-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.

It is very essential to identify the features you need in your software. This will make half of your work done. The shopping cart software is gaining lot of importance today and hence it is an effective way to reach out for your customers in order to gain good profits to your business.

Magento is the best software platform for any online store!

I recommend Magento, but to run it properly you will need a VPS or dedicated server, this way it will work as described, as to run it on shared account is very slow.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

As I know Magento commerce shopping cart software is considered to be the most preferable by webmasters.
    You will have many useful functions using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast